What's new

Abandoning the 3 pass shave

Learning to use the safety razor was likely an experience for all of us. For, me, gone are the days of significant bloodletting and for that, I am grateful. As COVID has progressed and I have been commuting to my home office, I have adopted a single pass (WTG) shave. Not the best but socially acceptable and my wife really can't feel the stubble until the evening where another WTG shave can quickly remedy the situation.

I have been doing 3 pass shaves for church, Wednesdays and Sundays, and am finding that it is not to my liking anymore. Yes, I get a BBS shave, but the expense is a face that really regrets having a razor passed over it three times from 3 different directions. No blood mind you, but a level of discomfort that I can easily do without. I find that a 2 pass (CTG/ATG) given me 95% of the 3 pass shave, maybe a bit more, and my face likes me a lot more from a comfort level perspective.

Anyone else out there abandoned the 3 pass shave on a permanent basis?

I like the process, therefore I rarely opt to do less than 3. I rarely let myself be in a rush to get out the door in the morning so I have the time. I never go ATG though so I don’t get too many consequences with 6-7 3 passers a week.

I still do a 3-pass shave, but I've modified the ATG pass to be another XTG on one side of my neck, since that part of my neck just can't deal with ATG. (Sometimes I do a diagonal between XTG and ATG on that area, but never straight-up ATG.)

for me no chance, love BBS way to much.. if anything I might pull out a 4 pass shave just to be sure

I also had the same issue as you but my desire for BBS kept me at it and now, as my technique improved, I have no issues chasing BBS every day

maybe keep at it for a while

for me no chance, love BBS way to much.. if anything I might pull out a 4 pass shave just to be sure

I also had the same issue as you but my desire for BBS kept me at it and now, as my technique improved, I have no issues chasing BBS every day

maybe keep at it for a while

I wish a 3-pass gave me BBS...three passes + touchups tend to leave me with a DFS, and chasing BBS past that is usually a fast track to massive irritation (though I once did a really indulgent 7-pass shave, though that might've been with a milder razor than I tend to use...best BBS I've ever gotten). I've just come to accept that wetshaving is about more than the BBS, and a consistent, comfortable DFS is more important than perfect BBS.

Same here, 3 pass give me best result but irritation every morning is not something I can tolerate. Lately I do 1 or 2 pass with touch up.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Three passes seven days a week here. After reading this I find myself fortunate that I don't suffer from irritation resulting from a wtg/xtg/atg shave.

Learning to use the safety razor was likely an experience for all of us. For, me, gone are the days of significant bloodletting and for that, I am grateful. As COVID has progressed and I have been commuting to my home office, I have adopted a single pass (WTG) shave. Not the best but socially acceptable and my wife really can't feel the stubble until the evening where another WTG shave can quickly remedy the situation.

I have been doing 3 pass shaves for church, Wednesdays and Sundays, and am finding that it is not to my liking anymore. Yes, I get a BBS shave, but the expense is a face that really regrets having a razor passed over it three times from 3 different directions. No blood mind you, but a level of discomfort that I can easily do without. I find that a 2 pass (CTG/ATG) given me 95% of the 3 pass shave, maybe a bit more, and my face likes me a lot more from a comfort level perspective.

Not me. There is no wrong way to shave so do what works for you. We all have different experiences so what comes easily to some is not easily obtained by others. I had many painful shaves when I began but I continued to shave everyday to not only improve my technique but also find the formula that allows me to achieve BBS. I usually do a 3 pass plus touch ups shave or a 4 pass shave on my neck. Keep trying and you might be surprised.

I’ve been a 4 pass shaver for years. Just could not get the results I want with less. Then the other day my new Karve OC with D plate arrived and I find I’m getting closer with 3 passes than I used to get with 4. Maybe I’ll pare down to two eventually. 3 feels like I’m cheating almost.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I achieve a very close comfortable SR shave with two passes. BBS it is not, but I’m ok with that. I understand we all have different expectations with our routine. I say do what works for you and makes you feel good. Shave on!

i don't have any issues with a three pass shave but I find that my results aren't really any better than two passes. WTG & XTG with the exception of my neck I do WTG & ATG. Nothing wrong with whatever works for you.

I do 3 passes and a partial 4th pass on my neck against the grain most of the time. If I get a bit of irritation or see any small weepers, I stick with 3 passes.

I will do 2 passes only if I am in a rush.

I have been thinking about this lately. Been DE wetshaving for about a year and some days if I use anything other than my Rockwell 6s the three pass shave leaves me very slightly irritated. Might go to a two pass as well.

If I'm irritated or in an absolute rush I revert to my Braun 790.
If I feel I'm irritating my face wet shaving, I'll try to zero my blade angle and feel the cap more than the edge.
Yet I know people have all kinds of different skin conditions and beards. I know a wet shave with the grain is far better than three or four days of itchy stubble. Good journeys.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
The only time that I abandon a 3 pass shave is when using a new Cartridge Razor. Two passes then done, one WTG and one ATG.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I do two, three, or four passes depending on how I am feeling. I do not care at all about the closeness of the finished shave, I simply enjoy shaving so I do it for as long as I want.

Top Bottom