What's new

Abandoned barber shops in photos

That was so sad looking at all of those pictures of former barber shops, most of which were at one time regular, convivial hubs of relaxation and pleasant company.

My home town still has the same shop and mediocre service since the late fifties. Several hair stylists shops have come and gone, but the BS is always there.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Marco:
Yes...it's a sad state of affairs for Barber Shops worldwide (but I'd love to get one of those chairs).
proxy.php

proxy.php
"Alas...there's no bad day that can't be overcome by visiting your local Barbershop. This is just the truth, plain and simple". Aldous Huxley

Thanks for the feedback. I have some connections with dying crafts and traditions so these photos resonated with me. My father restores antique furniture as he learned to do from his old master in Florence, Italy. I've worked for a classic mens store that started as an army surplus shop in San Francisco after WWII. When I see these places in their dusty dilapidated state it makes me feel like something was lost; a whole culture whose roots dried up. I'm split between feelings of sadness and wonderment imagining what life filled those establishments.

Overall, I'm glad I found wet shaving as a way to reconnect with this rich past.

I know what you are thinking, Can I go get that chair ? is it beyond repair ? will there be any razors there to find ? what If i just move in and live in abandon barber shop?

I was all set to love this image of a barber shop of time gone by--until I saw it was from a notorious and harsh U.S. prison. At first glance, I was sure it was from some old tropical city in perhaps Cuba or lower Mexico. I imagined myself getting a cut in that chair (in its better days) with maybe a big Macaw parrot perched on its swing hanging in the corner. Hard to believe it's a former Philly penitentiary.

Attachments

• $barbershop_7a.jpg
    $barbershop_7a.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 80
I was all set to love this image of a barber shop of time gone by--until I saw it was from a notorious and harsh U.S. prison. At first glance, I was sure it was from some old tropical city in perhaps Cuba or lower Mexico. I imagined myself getting a cut in that chair (in its better days) with maybe a big Macaw parrot perched on its swing hanging in the corner. Hard to believe it's a former Philly penitentiary.

That's an incredible shot.

Some really great photos of a different time. Now it's all about the instant gratification and having instant everything. Also the few barber shops that are around have become more like boutiques. Catering more toward more well to do men than the average Joe. It's one thing for inflation but the prices I have seen at these boutique like barbers is a bit out there for the average guy.

Is that not what barbers were? A place where the men would go shoot the breeze, get a haircut and shave and off to whatever after. There is a barber in the town I grew up in. He has gotten older and now only works a day or two a week. But he has been around for a long time. When I was younger my dad brought us to him it was like being in another world. The old timers hung out and gave "advice" to us kids. Afterwards he would let us raid the candy cabinet. He gave whatever haircut you wanted razor, scissor or electric also for the men he did straight razor shaves. All affordable for anyone and done to perfection. He stopped shaving faces a long time ago (not so steady with the hands anymore) but he still gives a good haircut if you can catch him working.

It's almost become this prestige thing to get a straight cut and shave.

Do you have any more info on that photo? I am originally from Philly so I would be very interested in where that is and when the photo was taken. Kind of creepy but artistic and nostalgic at the same time.

Do you have any more info on that photo? I am originally from Philly so I would be very interested in where that is and when the photo was taken. Kind of creepy but artistic and nostalgic at the same time.

I found it... That was the old Eastern State Penitentiary, west Philadelphia, built in 1829. Interesting article about the history of the prison can be viewed at http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/eastern-state-penitentiary

The prison remained in use for 142 years, from 1829 until 1971, and housed such criminal luminaries as Willie Sutton and Al Capone. Left abandoned for many years, it was narrowly saved from destruction, and in 1994 Eastern State re-opened its massive doors to the public. Left in a state of magnificent decay, anyone who finds themselves in Philadelphia would be well advised to pay a visit - and to be penitent.

Last edited:
Top Bottom