What's new

Aargh, can't get the lather right with L'Occitane.

None taken. But I found my biggest problem with Cade was the bowl itself. After replacing it with a plastic one, I've found I can get a great lather using my Omega pure badger also. Perhaps you should try face lathering with it to see what happens.

Gunter, try this. get rid of the aluminum bowl. I couldn't lather for squat using it. I put mine in a plastic sealable bowl (GLAD) and using a cheap boar brush (VDH) was able to get a great lather with it. I was making the lather on the soap itself instead of in a separate bowl. Here's a a video from Shave My Face on lathering with a boar. You might find it helpful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIsj58fqVjY&feature=channel_page

I find that it works very well.

What? why? how?

What is it about the bowl its sitting in that made it hard to load up on?

It could be theoretically possible that the bowl dissolves slightly too, releasing aluminium ions into the lather. Those can hinder the foam formation process. But if I remember correctly, Cade contains EDTA, which is a strong complexing agent designed to grab those wayward metal ions before they ruin the lather. (In effect, it neutralises water hardness to the extent that all the soap sees is 'soft' water. Cade should therefore lather equally well in areas with very hard and very soft water.) So while I see little reason to doubt the poster's word that his lather improved, I very, very much doubt that aluminium container was the cause of it. (And I thought the container was stainless steel...)

It could be theoretically possible that the bowl dissolves slightly too, releasing aluminium ions into the lather. Those can hinder the foam formation process. But if I remember correctly, Cade contains EDTA, which is a strong complexing agent designed to grab those wayward metal ions before they ruin the lather. (In effect, it neutralises water hardness to the extent that all the soap sees is 'soft' water. Cade should therefore lather equally well in areas with very hard and very soft water.) So while I see little reason to doubt the poster's word that his lather improved, I very, very much doubt that aluminium container was the cause of it. (And I thought the container was stainless steel...)

I have very soft water because I have a water softener installed and I recheck the hardness 3-4 times a year. That can't/couldn't be the issue.
But I indeed moved the puck to a ceramic container a few weeks ago and left it alone and uncovered. (the L'Occitane bowl is aluminum, no?)
I went again to the bathroom and 5 sec of swirling with a shaken out brush is now enough to get a decent lather. It's not perfect, but definately on par now with my T&H puck, better than the TOBS puck but inferior to some other soaps I own but that's ok.

And dude, I only load for one pass at a time, so there is no need for me to swirl for more than 5 sec on any soap I own.

Note to self: do not use foreign slang anymore on forums.

Gunter, as I recall you started this thread in frustration. You couldn't get the soap to work. I then show you how I use it, and present photographs of the result of my method which clearly show that one can get thick lather out of Cade. If you immediately begin by commenting that you don't need to swirl for more than 5 seconds, then why did you begin this thread in the first place? Obviously the soap does not fit into your routine then. Trash it, close the book on l'Occitane Cade, and move on. Dozens of products out there which do fit: YMMV and all that.

For the record: the amount I made is a little over the top; I'm still learning how much to make (for 3 to 4 passes). I suppose that in the future I would make the brush drier. But swirling until the 'lather' on the puck is thick, white, and without any bubbles would remain. And whether that takes a long time or a short time, or requires a few or a lot of swirls is soemthing I pay no attention to, unless I want to compare soaps against each other.

Last edited:
Note to self: do not use foreign slang anymore on forums.

Don't worry, I don't mind.

Gunter, as I recall you started this thread in frustration. You couldn't get the soap to work. I then show you how I use it, and present photographs of the result of my method which clearly show that one can get thick lather out of Cade. If you immediately begin by commenting that you don't need to swirl for more than 5 seconds, then why did you begin this thread in the first place?

No, I tried everything with Cade a few weeks ago. Several degrees in the amount of water, pressure, swirls, soaking, using an Omega boar, lathering direct on the puck, ...
I was indeed frustrated because that's the only soap that didn't lather like all my other soaps. It stayed airy no matter what I tried.
But this changed after I moved the puck to another container and left it uncovered for a few weeks.
I think that's odd.

Obviously the soap does not fit into your routine then. Trash it, close the book on l'Occitane Cade, and move on.
8<

NEVER! :001_smile

For the record: the amount I made is a little over the top; I'm still learning how much to make (for 3 to 4 passes). I suppose that in the future I would make the brush drier. But swirling until the 'lather' on the puck is thick, white, and without any bubbles would remain. And whether that takes a long time or a short time, or requires a few or a lot of swirls is soemthing I pay no attention to, unless I want to compare soaps against each other.

I don't like bowl lathering that much and to still enjoy some warmer lather I just load for one pass and then reload.
I also work till the lather is good and don't mind changing some routine to get it working, but really nothing worked a few weeks ago and now it just reacts like all my other soaps.
It went from 'never again' to 'we'll see when the puck is gone'.

Now I'm still eager to try MWF/Kent because people say it is a tricky soap to lather as well.

Hello Gunter!!

-Let sit water on top of soap for a bit longer
-Hit with a drier brush
-Fully, FULLY load the brush, yes MORE soap (this is often a lather KSF)
-Face lather on a drippin’face.

Now I wish you good luck and enjoy that warm woodsy juniper scent:001_wub:.

C_J

++1: thats how I get it to work!

Top Bottom