What's new

aaahhhh the rose

Yesterday I received a tub of Taylor's Rose shaving cream in the mail. Up to this point I have shaved with nothing but hard soaps but have read so many rave reviews on creams from the 3 T's that I decided to give one a try. WOW! The scent is delectable and the shave is outstanding. I'm probably one of the only people on this board who hadn't already tried a high quality cream, however, if any of you haven't tried one yet, you really are missing out. I simply can't say enough good things about both the quality of the shave and olefactory treat provided from a high quality cream.

Kyle

Kyle:

Good stuff huh? I have Trumper's rose and it's one of my absolute favorite creams. My soaps slightly outnumber my creams so I alternate between them. I actually prefer the closeness of shave I get from my soaps but the creams are a hands down winner in the scent department.

Jerry

DoubleE said:
I actually prefer the closeness of shave I get from my soaps but the creams are a hands down winner in the scent department.
Jerry
Odd, I find the opposite to be true.

I don't know that the shave received from cream vs. that from a hard soap makes any noticable difference on me, however, I do adjust my technique a little bit. I can be more aggressive with the cream (without burn) and don't have to be as aggressive with soap. I have, so far, enjoyed the stronger scent put off by the Taylors cream.

Kyle

I put off picking up the Rose for a very long time, figuring it wasn't a masculine scent. Now it is one of my favorite creams. Hugely intoxicating aroma and great shave.

I used Trumper's Rose for the first time today. Very nice! The scent was great as was the lather. This is a nice cream for the cold days of winter. It seems to add a little warmth to the start of the day. I used a T & H Super Badger Turnback and a Gillette Adj. with a Feather blade. Great combination.

I'm a fan of the Coates rose cream (despite my wife's negative reaction to the pink color), though I haven't tried the other roses yet. The Coates scent is subtle, not overpowering, and the cream whips into a thick, rich lather which really feels luxurious.

Mike

The only rose shaving cream I have used is Trumper's. While I really like the fragrance and the shave it gives, I should note that it can stain shaving brushes. I suggest not using it on an expensive brush unless you are prepared to live with the staining.

Ken

How many shaves (roughly) before you started noticing the staining? Also, has anyone noticed any other creams doing this to their brushes?

Kyle

Kyle, a soap of mine does that a little bit. It's called Locar, made in Europe. The soap is green, and although it works good, it stains the brush a little. I wouldn't use it with my Edwin Jagger brush.

Jeff

Kyle,

Actually, it can happen on one use. It stains the brush red--not just darker. This happened to me on a recent trip when I took a tube of the Rose along. There may be ways of getting the stains out, but it would be nice if Trumper were to reduce the amount of coloring material they use in the Rose and the Violet. The Limes does not seem to cause the same kind of staining.

Ken

Ken,

That is really strange. I've used the Taylor's rose for the last 5 shaves with a Vulfix #41 and haven't yet experienced this. I wonder if it has more to do with a specific brush manufacturer's bristles. Ultimately, I suppose it isn't that big of a deal (at least to me). For the kind of shave I get from this product, I can deal with it.

Kyle

Ken said:
The only rose shaving cream I have used is Trumper's. While I really like the fragrance and the shave it gives, I should note that it can stain shaving brushes. I suggest not using it on an expensive brush unless you are prepared to live with the staining.

Ken
Ken,
I personally believe that this warrants a note from you to Trumpers. I do not believe that your experience is either normal or acceptable product performance for a shaving cream. I would not be at all surprised to learn that they had a batch with an overdose of coloring or the wrong dye. Has it transferred to your visage? By the way, Oklahoma is the "Land of the RED Man," a claim that should not be made by Geo. F. Trumper's shop!:scared:

Disappointment strikes again! When QED first came out with Rose soap, I could not use it due to a severe reaction to the soap. Well, it happened again with the Trumper's Rose Cream. I simply cannot handle rose of any type. Too bad, as I really do enjoy the scent. My loss is my brother's gain , as he just received a full tube of Trumper's Rose Cream.

Kyle and Ron,

It is strange. I have used it in the past and experienced no permanent stain. But I have also noticed that the Rose and Violet do seem to vary in intensity of color and fragrance. At first, I suspected that the brush might have something to do with it. But the color variation theory may be right. Or, it may be a combination of both.

Ken

mike said:
Disappointment strikes again! When QED first came out with Rose soap, I could not use it due to a severe reaction to the soap. Well, it happened again with the Trumper's Rose Cream. I simply cannot handle rose of any type. Too bad, as I really do enjoy the scent. My loss is my brother's gain , as he just received a full tube of Trumper's Rose Cream.
Mike,
I feel your pain. If you still like the rose fragrance, I would suggest you try the QED Rose Geranium.. Made from essential oil of the "Rose Geranium." Not a rose, but a geranium with a fragrance like a rose... Certainly worth the try to get the fragrance back into your routine. I have a stick of it and enjoy it immensely. I did not tolerate the original Wild Rose very well.. Wish I did, what a fragrance bomb. This is somewhat more subdued, but still delightful.

Thanks Ron, I do have a stick of the QED Rose Geranium and enjoy it a lot. I agree the scent is more subtle but it is still very nice. I have no irritation with this soap and as always I get a great shave.

People tend to overlook the Truefitt Rose cream, but I think it is very good. At first I did not really like it (and even thought about trading it), but it turned out quite good after a couple of uses.

Top Bottom