What's new

A3M0N's Basic AR-15 Build

I got to thinking my posting every piece I got for my build in the SCORE thread was a bit spammy, so I figured I'd create a thread for it. I'm sure most of you have already been through this and have much more experience than I do, but maybe someone can get some value out of my build process.

I've already gotten a stripped lower and lower parts kit, so this where I'll start this thread. It's starting to look like a rifle now.

proxy.php

Parts (I'll update this list as I go):

Anderson Manufacturing Stripped Lower - $39.95 (Primary Arms) Picture
Anderson Manufacturing Lower Parts Kit - $34.99 (On Sale - Classic Firearms) Picture

Running Total: $74.94

And I got the buffer tube kit installed tonight. I've had some help from my 12 y/o daughter and 9 y/o boy, I've successfully kept them away from any springs except for the buffer spring. That one is a little hard to lose.

I'll probably get a stock for my birthday in October. I'll try to get Santa to bring me a complete upper for Christmas, but it may end up being a tax return gift to myself. We'll see.

Tiger Rock buffer kit from Primary Arms, $19.99.

proxy.php

proxy.php

EDIT: I just realized I can only edit my last post in the thread, so I'll keep my running total at the end of each update instead of keeping the first post updated.

Anderson Manufacturing Stripped Lower - $39.95 (Primary Arms)
Anderson Manufacturing Lower Parts Kit - $34.99 (On Sale - Classic Firearms)
Tiger Rock Buffer Tube Kit - $19.99 (Primary Arms)

Running Total: $94.93

Last edited:
Following with interest!

AA

Thanks!

I did have a little hiccup today. I tried to put in what I thought was the rear takedown detent spring, but it was too big! I put the wrong spring in for the safety selector detent. After I swapped those out all was good.

I received a stock for my birthday late in October, meaning I ordered myself a stock, with the wife's approval of course. I mean, it was a gift from her :)

Magpul MOE Carbine Stock from Primary Arms - $31.95

When the stock is fully extended, its got some wiggle to it. For right now I'm not concerned, I'm not going to be running/gunning with it and its not a service rifle or anything like that. I'm thinking its the budget buffer tube that isn't quite to spec, but I don't want to say that for certain until I've measured it. I don't want to slander a company making affordable parts when it may not be their fault.

proxy.php

Next up will be a complete upper, probably from Palmetto State Armory. I was born and raised in the Palmetto State, but now reside in the Lone Star State, so I'm trying to buy local/hometown where possible. I'm kind of a sentimental fool.

Magpul MOE Carbine Stock, MIL-SPEC (Primary Arms) - $31.95

Running Total: $126.88

Looking good so far. All of those lightweight collapsible buttstocks I have seen tend to have a little wiggle, most are probably made for a price point, and tolerences are somewhat loose. With one of those you are not going for a target rifle, so I would not worry about it. Magpul makes a big one for bench type rifles, that is heavy and no slop but you pay a lot and end up with a big heavy rifle.

You may be smart going with a completed upper, to do one properly you need a barrel nut wrench(armor's tool) , an upper receiver block, so you can clamp it in a vice without damage, and a large vice for the clamping. With the upper properly clamped, it's still a pain to the the barrel nut tight and properly aligned for the gas tube. I built one gun, even got an upper receiver truing guide so I could lap the front of the receiver square for the barrel, don't know if it's really necessary, but this was a big heavy bench/target type in 6.5 Grendel and it ended up being extremely accurate.

Your accuracy is going to come from the upper receiver, barrel, along with the bolt and carrier, so use a good quality upper, or parts if you choose to build.

I'm in small town Texas also, Bought my stripped lowers locally then shopped the internet for all my other parts. When I said locally, I had to drive about 40 miles one way to get the lowers, and did not want to invest in all the mileage for other parts. At the time I still would have had to drive had I ordered the lowers via the internet as we then had no ffl dealer in town, so I called around and located some lowers and went and picked them up.

I considered building my upper, but like you said, it requires more tools than I have right now and I'd rather buy a complete upper for my first build. Maybe in the future I'll venture into building an upper, but its not really in my plan right now.

I used to live about 15 minutes away from Primary Arms. They were in Pearland, TX but moved up to a bigger warehouse just off the beltway in southern Houston. I picked up my lower in person, but for other parts it ends up being cheaper for me to have them shipped rather than the 45 mins one way to get there, and the tolls on the beltway. But they're so close that parts only take like 2 days to get here.

I bought one upper, then decided to build a few others, so invested in some tools. Other than the armors wrench and action block I had everything else.

As far as buying parts, I live in Jacksonville and had to go up to Tyler for parts, not that there were that many available, so it was easier and more economical to order. Timewise it was about the same as you mentioned.

Sorry it's been a while! Still no upper receiver. The one I want is perpetually out of stock at Palmetto State Armory, now I'm considering building my upper. I've been pricing parts to see if it's in my budget, but I'm leaning toward building one that way I'm not settling for an upper I'm not absolutely happy with.

That bites that it’s out of stock.

I just picked up the PSA complete rifle kit w/MagPul furniture. Just add a stripped lower. It’s hard to beat their daily deals.

Do you ever check TGT for parts?

Yeah, there is a pretty nice upper for about $260 but it's never in stock. I sent an email, but no real answer than keep watching for new inventory.

What's TGT?

I took the first step and ordered a barrel. Better first step would probably have been a stripped upper receiver and parts kit, but the barrel was on a really great sale. I'll post the into when it gets here.

I’ve used that same buttstock on a known good buffer tube. It has some slop, but even run and gunning, it’s non-noticeable non-factor when shouldering it.

I got the barrel in today!

16" SOCOM profile, 5.56, mid-length from Bear Creek Arsenal - $49.39

proxy.php

16" Barrel (Bear Creek Arsenal) - 49.39

Running Total: $176.24

Cool thread!
I’ve got a couple of ar15s and an ar9...the ar9 was bought as a complete gun, ar15 pistol was a gift and the “normal” ar15 I bought as an upper and lower, both complete. All PSA. I’ve tinkered with all of them but it’s fun seeing one built piece by piece.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I got the barrel in today!

16" SOCOM profile, 5.56, mid-length from Bear Creek Arsenal - $49.39

proxy.php

16" Barrel (Bear Creek Arsenal) - 49.39

Running Total: $176.24

What are the specs on your barrel?

Chrome lined? Rifling twist? 4150? Barrel extension M4 feed ramp compatible?

Just curious.

What are the specs on your barrel?

Chrome lined? Rifling twist? 4150? Barrel extension M4 feed ramp compatible?

Just curious.

No worries, here's the blurb from their website:
The BCA AR-15 Barrel is a 16" SOCOM barrel made of 4150 steel with a black nitride finish, a 1:7 twist rate and a mid length gas system. The barrel is chambered in 5.56 NATO and machined with M4 feed ramps.
It didn't come with a muzzle device, or extension.

A bunch of stuff was just restocked at Classic Firearms, I may be making a purchase of several of the small items soon.

Top Bottom