What's new

A year with TOBS

Good afternoon gentlemen,

I've somehow managed to make a tub of Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood last an entire year! This soap has legendary status with most wet shavers and I can't really work out why?!

For a product clearly labelled as sandalwood that's the smell I was expecting. It appears to be overwhelmed by fragrances. My wife says it smells like old grannies. I disagree however I can smell a feminine side to it such as lavender and patchouli. I'd say it was a classic fragrance leaning towards manly but certainly not sandalwood. I don't think it even contains any sandalwood oil. I don't mind the scent but I wouldn't say it blew me away nor was sandalwood.

I found it to be a very soft croap that by the end was practically liquid. (yes I air dry it)

The lather was impressively plentiful and a great time saver with a small learning curve for water content. However I found the lather dissipated quicker than I would like and had to re-apply. The slickness the croap offered I found to be average. I certainly wouldn't go back for a quick clean up with the slickness left behind. I also find that this croap burns my face and lips if left on for too long.

Post shave always feels a little dry and I would never finish a shave with this without some kind of moisturiser.

Edit: I also find that this croap leaves an annoying white residue on all of my shave gear.

Has anyone else had this experience? or the opposite? Thoughts on smell, alternatives and residue?

I will probably buy the TOBS coconut in the futur :p but cedar, sandalwood and spice is probably my favorite.

Thanks, LightShave.

Last edited:
I have tried two samples, Eton College and Grapefruit. The scents are quite noticeable. The former I can't really describe while the latter smells like grapefruit rind.

I found the lather to be very good. Lots of cushion and quite slick. I liked it quite a bit. Post shave feel was nice. Unfortunately there is something in the soap that irritates my face. It is not bad but it is noticeable. It is also very soft and I used more soap than other brands I have used.

I like the TOBS Sandalwood scent, but I do agree with you, is it not a pure sandalwood.

I like TOBS creams for their ease of use and scent. Performance is okay, and post shave feeling is on the drying side.

Currently going through a tub of the avocado scented version, which is not my favorite one, but it is okay. Smells more like cucumber to me. Both the coconut and grapefruit should be quite amazing in terms of scent, but again scent is purely objective.

I haven't noticed any residue with TOBS, as I did with Proraso back when I was starting out.

It doesn't sound like you werent thrilled with your overall experience with TOBS so why not try a different product? TOBS is OK, but so many other soaps and creams that perform better...imho.

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Sounds to me like you're describing the cream. Their soap is triple milled and hard.

The only TOBS I have is a Sandalwood soap. Possibly the hardest soap I have. Great aroma too, smells like a weaker version of AoS or Captains Choice or Stirling. No "old lady" smell to it. I have not tried a TOBS cream, but this soap is definitely one of my favorites, great mounds of very slick lather.

It doesn't sound like you were thrilled with your overall experience with TOBS so why not try a different product? TOBS is OK, but so many other soaps and creams that perform better...imho.

Which soaps and cream would you say perform better?

I don't think there is a cheap way to get those here in the UK.

No, you would have to pay the shipping from the US. I did so to Denmark, and the soaps are well worth it.

If you want a fairly priced product, with a clean ingredient list, which is available in the UK, try looking up Nanny's Silly Soap.

Good afternoon gentlemen,

I've somehow managed to make a tub of Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood last an entire year! This soap has legendary status with most wet shavers and I can't really work out why?!

For a product clearly labelled as sandalwood that's the smell I was expecting. It appears to be overwhelmed by fragrances. My wife says it smells like old grannies. I disagree however I can smell a feminine side to it such as lavender and patchouli. I'd say it was a classic fragrance leaning towards manly but certainly not sandalwood. I don't think it even contains any sandalwood oil. I don't mind the scent but I wouldn't say it blew me away nor was sandalwood.

I found it to be a very soft croap that by the end was practically liquid. (yes I air dry it)

The lather was impressively plentiful and a great time saver with a small learning curve for water content. However I found the lather dissipated quicker than I would like and had to re-apply. The slickness the croap offered I found to be average. I certainly wouldn't go back for a quick clean up with the slickness left behind. I also find that this croap burns my face and lips if left on for too long.

Post shave always feels a little dry and I would never finish a shave with this without some kind of moisturiser.

Edit: I also find that this croap leaves an annoying white residue on all of my shave gear.

Has anyone else had this experience? or the opposite? Thoughts on smell, alternatives and residue?

I will probably buy the TOBS coconut in the futur :p but cedar, sandalwood and spice is probably my favorite.

Thanks, LightShave.

It does sound like you used the sandalwood cream, as the soap (puck and shave stick) are both hard soaps.

I have the hard soaps, and agree that the scent is more than sandalwood, it is a "cologne + sandalwood combination", I do enjoy the scent. As always scents are YMMV.

I have always had a nice rich lather from these soaps, and never had it dry out.

Never had any residue from my TOBS soaps.

Which soaps and cream would you say perform better?

Oh goodness, everyone has their favorites and this question will get you many suggestions. For an easy to use inexpensive soap with above average performance you might try Cella or Tabac or even Arko.

No, you would have to pay the shipping from the US. I did so to Denmark, and the soaps are well worth it.

If you want a fairly priced product, with a clean ingredient list, which is available in the UK, try looking up Nanny's Silly Soap.

Excellent information! Never heard of that. £7.50 for 140g hard soap seems very fair. wickham soap co is also on my list to try. Many thanks.

Oh goodness, everyone has their favorites and this question will get you many suggestions. For an easy to use inexpensive soap with above average performance you might try Cella or Tabac or even Arko.
All of these are on my list to rotate through so thanks for bolstering my interest in those soaps.

Excellent information! Never heard of that. £7.50 for 140g hard soap seems very fair. wickham soap co is also on my list to try. Many thanks.

I have had great experiences with Nanny's Silly Soaps, and she has a great range of scents. They are, however, a softer soap.

Top Bottom