What's new

A Year of PIFs….. May (Fragrance) Edition

Hello B&B!

One of my resolutions this year was to host one PIF per month for the entire year! And I actually decided to up my game and do 2 PIFs each month. One will be a formal PIF, like this one, and the second will be a drive-by PIF (i.e. something I give out on a whim based on reading someone’s post). So, 2018 is the year I give back.

proxy.php

I’ve been a member of this forum for 8 years (Joined May 2010). In that time, I’ve been on the receiving end of many great PIFs. I’m doing this, in part, to ensure I make good on ‘Paying It Forward’ from all I have received in the past; balancing any PIF debt, I may have accumulated. Also in those 8 years, I have bought a lot of stuff, and at times, multiples of items bought on clearance, or in an effort to get free shipping. As such, my storage area is starting to look like a store front, and it’s time to do a little de-cluttering purge, A.K.A. spring cleaning.

I will try to spread my PIFs around the forum in as many different sub-forums as I can, so be on the lookout for future installments. Some will be big, some will be small, and I will try to throw in a bonus item with every PIF.

My PIFs will run for around two weeks, and hopefully the winner receives their PIF before I start the next one. Please make sure you read and follow ALL rules. This is very, very important!

PIFs completed so far:

A Year of PIFs - January Edition - General Forum - Winner: Heckle
A Year of PIFs - February Edition – Soap Forum – Winner: azwetshaver
A Year of PIFs - March Edition – Skin, Body & Hair Care Forum - Winner: joamo
A Year of PIFs - April Edition – Aftershave Forum - Winner: tipster_621

So what is up for grabs this month?

proxy.php

Colognes! Frags are something that I really haven’t got into much. I also have a hard time figuring out what I like and what smells good on me. I tend to like soft, warm, earthy, and woody scents. So far here is what I like:

Agua Brava – My favorite so far
Pre de Provence No. 63 – I’ve heard they are making a cologne, and I can’t wait!
Saint Charles Shave – New Spice
Saint Charles Shave – Refined
Dolce & Gabana – The One
Gucci Pour Homme
C.O. Bigelow Black
These are not part of the PIF, You’ll see why I have included this list later.

The colognes in this PIF, below, I have either purchased or received in PIFs and just don’t care for any of them, so off they go to a good home.

IMG_6896.JPG

Details:
Bath & Both Works: Mountain Frost – Full
Halston Z-14 – Full
Avon: Mesmerize – Full
Grey Flannel – Full
Stetson: Untamed – 75%
Acqua Di Parma: Colonia Absolute – 40%
Hobby for Men – Just a few sprays left, but didn’t want to throw it away.
Stetson – Full
British Sterling, Canoe, English Leather – Full sample bottles.

There will also be 2 or 3 bonuses included in this PIF that aren’t pictured.

If you win, and find any of this stuff, not to your liking, please Re-PIF it!

How do you qualify to win this PIF?

*Indicate that you want to be included in this PIF, but do not say “I’m in” (anywhere in your post)…. Be creative.
*Recommend a fragrance for me to try, based on my likes and dislikes above. If you are a frag newbie, no worries, just take a stab at it or recommend an aftershave you think would complement my tastes.
*This Fragrance PIF is open to anyone residing within CONUS. Sorry, but due to shipping restrictions, I can’t sent them internationally.
*If you are Active Duty Military or a Military Veteran you get a bonus entry, just indicate such in your post.

The last day to enter this PIF is 18 May 2018 (Deadpool 2 release date!).

Not in, but that's a GREAT introduction to some classic wetshaver scents.

From looking over your list, I think you may like:

Quorum Silver
Pierre Cardin PH

Last edited:
This sounds like fun. I'm not really familiar with any of the fragrances you mentioned that you like with the exception of D&G The One. If you could list some of your fav aftershaves/soap scents, I could be offer up some suggestions. I'm guessing you have tried Hermes Terre D'Hermes - if not, that might one to take a gander at.

Hello B&B!

One of my resolutions this year was to host one PIF per month for the entire year! And I actually decided to up my game and do 2 PIFs each month. One will be a formal PIF, like this one, and the second will be a drive-by PIF (i.e. something I give out on a whim based on reading someone’s post). So, 2018 is the year I give back.

proxy.php

I’ve been a member of this forum for 8 years (Joined May 2010). In that time, I’ve been on the receiving end of many great PIFs. I’m doing this, in part, to ensure I make good on ‘Paying It Forward’ from all I have received in the past; balancing any PIF debt, I may have accumulated. Also in those 8 years, I have bought a lot of stuff, and at times, multiples of items bought on clearance, or in an effort to get free shipping. As such, my storage area is starting to look like a store front, and it’s time to do a little de-cluttering purge, A.K.A. spring cleaning.

I will try to spread my PIFs around the forum in as many different sub-forums as I can, so be on the lookout for future installments. Some will be big, some will be small, and I will try to throw in a bonus item with every PIF.

My PIFs will run for around two weeks, and hopefully the winner receives their PIF before I start the next one. Please make sure you read and follow ALL rules. This is very, very important!

PIFs completed so far:

A Year of PIFs - January Edition - General Forum - Winner: Heckle
A Year of PIFs - February Edition – Soap Forum – Winner: azwetshaver
A Year of PIFs - March Edition – Skin, Body & Hair Care Forum - Winner: joamo
A Year of PIFs - April Edition – Aftershave Forum - Winner: tipster_621

So what is up for grabs this month?

proxy.php

Colognes! Frags are something that I really haven’t got into much. I also have a hard time figuring out what I like and what smells good on me. I tend to like soft, warm, earthy, and woody scents. So far here is what I like:

Agua Brava – My favorite so far
Pre de Provence No. 63 – I’ve heard they are making a cologne, and I can’t wait!
Saint Charles Shave – New Spice
Saint Charles Shave – Refined
Dolce & Gabana – The One
Gucci Pour Homme
C.O. Bigelow Black
These are not part of the PIF, You’ll see why I have included this list later.

The colognes in this PIF, below, I have either purchased or received in PIFs and just don’t care for any of them, so off they go to a good home.

View attachment 880808

Details:
Bath & Both Works: Mountain Frost – Full
Halston Z-14 – Full
Avon: Mesmerize – Full
Grey Flannel – Full
Stetson: Untamed – 75%
Acqua Di Parma: Colonia Absolute – 40%
Hobby for Men – Just a few sprays left, but didn’t want to throw it away.
Stetson – Full
British Sterling, Canoe, English Leather – Full sample bottles.

There will also be 2 or 3 bonuses included in this PIF that aren’t pictured.

If you win, and find any of this stuff, not to your liking, please Re-PIF it!

How do you qualify to win this PIF?

*Indicate that you want to be included in this PIF, but do not say “I’m in” (anywhere in your post)…. Be creative.
*Recommend a fragrance for me to try, based on my likes and dislikes above. If you are a frag newbie, no worries, just take a stab at it or recommend an aftershave you think would complement my tastes.
*This Fragrance PIF is open to anyone residing within CONUS. Sorry, but due to shipping restrictions, I can’t sent them internationally.
*If you are Active Duty Military or a Military Veteran you get a bonus entry, just indicate such in your post.

The last day to enter this PIF is 18 May 2018 (Deadpool 2 release date!).
I wish to be included in your May PIF. In your quest for soft earthy woody warm scents, I'll suggest a few. Consider Pierre Cardin Pour Homme, Aqua di Selva, the original Dolce & Gabbana, Bentley Absolute, and Ferrari Red. Surely there are many others. I own all these fragrances, not a dud in the batch. And all should still be available and not too costly, except for the D&G. Clothing designer frags are good but way too costly, IMO.

My fragrance selection is lacking quite a bit. For the past year or so I've literally been using the little samplers that they give you at the mall. I just can't bring myself to spend money on a liquid I just spray on my body lol. Because of my fragrance inexperience I really don't have any recommendations but I know that Pino Silvestre worked really well for me before I finished it off.
Thanks!

iaminn.png

I am really into fragrances so count me in. I am not as well versed in the terminology as I'd like to be, but one I came at in a roundabout way is Guerlain "Jicky." Before you comment, yes it's a women's fragrance. However it's the fragrance of choice for both Michael Caine and Sean Connery, the two coolest spies ever to make movies. My wife really likes it on me. There's some cinnamon and floral, but something musky beneath all that. Anyway, my 2 cents worth.

I would truly enjoy this PIF, as a veteran and a man who doesn’t always smell the best, this PIF would help me smell better for all people in my nearby area! Thanks @vez2

Happy Shaving
-Chris
US Army Veteran, Foxhole Shavers Club Member

@TheVez2 you are making life difficult my friend! Let a brother help take some of these off your hands, if fortune so favors! I like that almost of them seem to have woodsy notes, that’s my vibe!

I’m also worried because one has expectations until one try’s things in person (and because you yourself are passing them along)...but there’s got to be at least one winner in there!

I’ll suggest Creed Aventus, a scent that was recently introduced to me through Captain’s Choice Venture AS. If I had the money, I’d have a stockpile...but I don’t so I’m relegated to asking for the forthcoming Captains Choice regimen for my birthday.

I've passed on your first few PIFs for the year, but this is one I can get down with. My wife and I did some searching a few years ago. I settled on a few Armaf fragrances, as they are make really good takes on some of the Creed fragrances at very good prices. You might like Club de Nuit Intense Man. To my nose it's a spicier take on Aventus, but I think it has a pretty earthy dry down.

Thanks for the entries and suggestions so far. I see myself ordering some samples when this PIF is wrapped up.

I would truly enjoy this PIF, as a veteran and a man who doesn’t always smell the best, this PIF would help me smell better for all people in my nearby area! Thanks @thevez2

Happy Shaving
-Chris

I completely missed the recommendation, so I would like to throw out my two favorites as of now. I don’t have much of an idea for scent profiles and how different frags compare, but Acqua di Gio and Versace Eros are my current go to’s. I would recommend those to anyone, but they aren’t really the best for summer. If I knew of a good scent that would be light and crisp, while still having some staying power, I would offer those.

Happy Shaving
-Chris

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Not in, but super-generous! :a14:

Some nice choice there: the "violet hammer," Grey Flannel; the "Clubman cologne," Canoe; Stetson, E.L. ...

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
GF is forceful stuff; at least one of the old powerhouses remains!

Best worn to offend. (Of course, by that I mean, "be noticed.")

AA

Top Bottom