What's new

A world of difference - RazoRock BC Silvertip Plissoft Synthetic Shaving Brush

I ventured into the realm of wet shaving tentatively. I purchased a cheap badger hair brush and stand combo from Amazon to keep my razor stored and get my wet shave kit started. After my first few shaves, though the stand seemed to be solid and of good quality, I was not impressed with the brush. It was abrasive in feel, limp and clumpy when wet or loaded with lather, and overall quite underwhelming. The most positive comments I could make about the brush are that it dried quickly and held on to the pleasant smell of my TOBS shaving cream.

In my perusing of B&B, I found that badger brushes are generally a get-what-you-paid-for component of your kit. This came as no surprise given my experience. Essentially, if you want a high quality badger brush, you pay the price. As I was not ready to make an investment of that caliber without further information and significantly more experience, I began to investigate other less costly options. Boar intrigued me as it seems one can obtain an excellent quality brush for quite a small investment. The only downsides to the boar brushes being time to eliminate the natural odor and soften of the bristles through frequent use. Certainly not a deal breaker (I am convinced that, at some point, a good Omega or Semogue will join my kit).

However, during my search, I came upon the thread discussing a B&B pass-around of an impressive collection of synthetic brushes. I was instantly drawn into the discussion. I was somewhat disappointed that the timing of my coming upon the pass-around and my relatively recent joining of the forum prevented me from participating. Nevertheless, I found the reviews and conversation in that thread to be enlightening. So much so, that I resolved to skip boar and badger (for now) and make my next brush (and first brush acquisition disorder purchase :001_cool:) a synthetic. The RazoRock brush of the pass-around appealed to me but I was unexcited by the sheer size of that monster. I paid a visit to RazoRock's site and decided upon the RazoRock BC Silvertip Plissoft Synthetic Shaving Brush (a 24x57). I placed my order and waited (somewhat) patiently. I took delivery of the brush yesterday and had my first shave with it this morning.

This brush is amazing.

Where my starter badger was abrasive, this was silk. Where the starter was floppy and limp when loaded, this had backbone and structure. I was quite surprised; and all the more so in view of the price!

With the amount of TOBS that was required to get a sufficient amount of lather to accomplish a good 3-pass+cleanup shave using my starter brush, the RazoRock synthtic silvertip whipped up enough lather in my bowl for the entire neighborhood and of a vastly superior lather quality, as well. To the point that, had I not been the one to load the brush, I would have been convinced I had been set up with an entirely different shave cream. Needless to say, my first impressing of the brush from RazoRock leaves me quite impressed. I might even venture to say that it just might stave off the SBAD for the time being.

While the function of the brush is excellent, it is also quite elegant and attractive. Here are a few pictures I took once the brush had dried after my shave this morning (if I'd had the presence of mind I would have taken a few pictures to share with the brush loaded):

$IMG_4907.jpg
$IMG_4908.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: OB1
That's great news. Glad you liked your new acquisition. That brush has been getting a lot of good feedback this year already and many have praised its good looks and function. Congrats!

I am so glad you're happy with this brush. Me too ! It's really, really good, and I'm incredibly pleased with the way it lathers up on RazoRock soaps. Softness and backbone combine for a terrific experience !

$IMG_1829.jpg

I also bought that crappy brush on Amazon. I've since left a review telling people to pick up something better ... more people should leave reviews to help future shavers ... anyway ...

My first brush after that one was a Whipped Dog synthetic. I liked it so much more I used it for a while. But then I bought some boar brushes and a badger, and really just stopped using the synthetic, it just wasn't as good as a good boar.

However, the comments on the vast improvement of synthetics over the last ~18 months convinced me to try another. I bought this same brush and have used it twice.

The lather is pretty darn amazing. It generates a ton and it's thick lather, not foamy. When I push into my face, it's like I can hear it churning the soap/cream into a thick later. Really impressive.
[MENTION=114055]Timeless[/MENTION] You may just have hit it out of the park on your second at bat. Seems like a winner to me!

I will say that I still love the face feel of my boar brushes. It's different, but really enjoyable. I'd recommend some but I don't want to feed the disease! :tongue_sm

Great knot and I like that handle. I have the more original black handle plissoft and I just ordered their new Rubbertset 400 clone brush! It looks awesome

Curse you [MENTION=114055]Timeless[/MENTION] and curse the internet. Thanks to your wretched teamwork I was forced to impulse buy this brush that I dont need. Fyi it's a bit cheaper if you buy from Italian barbers ebay store instead of their website.

Curse you [MENTION=114055]Timeless[/MENTION] and curse the internet. Thanks to your wretched teamwork I was forced to impulse buy this brush that I dont need. Fyi it's a bit cheaper if you buy from Italian barbers ebay store instead of their website.

First, my apologies for stoking the flame. I have found, in my relatively short time as a member of B&B, that the ability of my purchasing impulse to overcome rational thought can be directly correlated to the amount of time I spend reading and researching on this forum. I find it to be both enlightening and somewhat financially dangerous.

Second, thank you for the insight on purchasing through the Italian Barber Ebay store. I was not aware that they had a presence there. I'm sure that will prove useful in the future (or at least that's what my purchasing impulse will tell me).

I've been enjoying my (newer) synthetics, but my boars are still my go-to brushes.

Don't worry so much about break-in: all my boars were good right from the start, they just got better with time.

Although I bought one of these I didn't want to like a synthetic, it goes against everything natural and old fashioned which is why a lot of us are drawn to wet shaving, especially with straights.

But, this thing is on a different level. I have a semogue 620. Omega 10988 or something, whipped dog silvertip, and some others. This synthetic was softer, smoother, faster, better, cheaper, denser, etc.

It easily made enough creamy lather for 3 passes, then I just painted it on again to enjoy the feeling, and I could have done more, all with less product than I usually use. With one try its already my favorite. I feel I owe it to you members to tell you about it.

Yeah I face lathered castle forbes, it was such a creamy dense lather, much more so than the more foamy lather from my badgers and boars. Can't wait to try it with other soaps and creams.

Can you compare it to the regular Plissoft? I have the Monster in Plissoft and love it, but was wondering if it was worth adding the silvertip synth.

Sorry i don't have a regular plissoft to compare it to, hopefully someone else will chim in who does.

Again for me it says a lot that I didn't want to like this brush but it it blew me away.

The only negative was after I let it sit between passes it leaked some water onto my chest as I lathered, maybe synthetic doesn't hold water as well as natural, although my other brushes do it too to degree.

I have had a barber handle plissoft for some time and have a few shaves and test lathers on a silvertip plissoft. Comparing the two they are pretty similar, with the silvertip plissoft having a bit softer tips and a bit less backbone so it splays on the face a little easier. It still loads from a hard puck without issue and makes great suds. The handle on the silvertip is very comfortable with a nice heft to it and looks really nice. I like the silvertip better but it's not leaps and bounds better than the regular plissoft.

Comparing the two they are pretty similar, with the silvertip plissoft having a bit softer tips and a bit less backbone so it splays on the face a little easier. It still loads from a hard puck without issue and makes great suds. The handle on the silvertip is very comfortable with a nice heft to it and looks really nice. I like the silvertip better but it's not leaps and bounds better than the regular plissoft.
+1

I recently purchased both a Bruce-handled plissoft and the silvertip plissoft. Both are extremely soft and will paint lather on like champs. The silvertip is softer and splays a little better, but I don't love the way either one of them splays. (I've yet to find a synthetic that splays particularly well - it's the reason I like my natural hair brushes better.)

I own 3 other synthetics - a 2015 WD, a Shave Revolution Evolution, and Muhle STF v2. I will probably PIF or sell the first two because I like both of the new RR brushes better than them. (Having looked at them side-by-side, I think that the Evolution is also a plissoft, but I like the Bruce handle better.)

The plisson synthetic splays very naturally :) People often mention it's lack of backbone, but it has slightly more backbone than a silvertip badger set at a loft twice as high as the knots diameter in mm's.

The plissoft (etc) is made from the same fibers but has a glue bump that reduces its effective loft. The plisson has no glue bump.

I wish plisson made their synthetic in a 26 or 28 mm knot size. The #12 size is 22 mm and feels 2 sizes smaller than my 24mm badgers.

Top Bottom