What's new

A wonderful surprise gift. Simpson 46B Berkeley

I was stunned to find a package at the Post Office today from a friend who's also into DE shaving. He'd told me I had a surprise on the way, I just didn't know what it was... Well let me tell you I was so very shocked to find a beautiful Simpson Berkeley 46B and a tub or Proraso white! :thumbup:

Now I'll admit I'm a devout minimalist and have been using a very simple kit for the 4 months since I've gotten into the DE razor n brush. I've slowly dialed in my gear over the past few months and had it down to an ATT Kronos razor as my daily shave - I love it!! - with a '55 Super Speed for an occasional vintage thrill. For soap it's been Arko stick and a basic Omega 10065 boar brush. I've really been enjoying face-lathering for the past few months now with Arko. Easy, Fun and therapeutic!

A few weeks ago this same friend and I were talking about Arko and he wanted to try it. He was curious about Arko but didn't have a brush, so on a whim I gifted him a Semogue 620 and a couple sticks of Arko via Amazon (he lives in PA). He's been really enjoying the brush and the shaves he's been getting now with Arko, so this has been the topic of many discussions lately. Well this is apparently what prompted him to send this wonderful gift.

The Omega 10065 is the only brush I've used, so this Simpson Berkeley is my first high quality brush. I'm very impressed with it's craftsmanship and beauty. I'll report back after my shave tomorrow morning! The Proraso is also a new one for me too, so this is gonna be fun to try these.

I suspect the Omega will end up being retired to Travel Brush duty. It's been a good daily brush and never loses any hairs, so it's served me well.

proxy.php

proxy.php

This morning was my first shave with the Berkeley 46B and it went great. I soaked it in hot water for about 15 minutes prior. About 15-20 swirls on the top of the Proraso White tub and then straight to my face. It lathered on the face with minimal effort and gave me a nice slick 2.5 pass shave. I'm very pleased with the soft and luxurious feel of the badger brush and it's short loft is definitely at home face lathering. The handle was just fine despite it's smaller size. I have XL hands and had no problem with it.

The Berkeley has a nice heft to it, is very pleasant to the touch in hand on the best badger hairs on the face are a joy needless to say. :thumbup:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Both these pics are prior to use (New out of the box)

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Those are great little brushes! Mine never leaves the rotation. Never.

Nice - cool that you gifted him a 620 and the Arko and he reciprocated with the Simpson Berkeley brush and Proraso white.

I applaud your dialing in of your razor, brush and soap and choosing to keep it simple and minimal - but it is fun to experiment and have some variety ;).

I love my Berkley. I really don't see the need for a fancier brush. It does everything I want it to at a very reasonable price. My Berkley and my vintage Klenzo I restored with a TGN knot are the two brushes I rotate. My Duke 2 sits in the cabinet unused.

Nice - cool that you gifted him a 620 and the Arko and he reciprocated with the Simpson Berkeley brush and Proraso white.

I applaud your dialing in of your razor, brush and soap and choosing to keep it simple and minimal - but it is fun to experiment and have some variety ;).

Gosh yes he definitely has outdone me here. I'll have to come up with something to say Thanks that's for sure. I sure didn't expect anything like this.

Well today was the 50th shave with this brush. It's my only brush now - I use it as my go-to brush, 7 days a week. I'm very happy with this Berkeley. It rarely loses a hair - maybe one hair every other week? I don't think I've lost more than 6-8 hairs in the 50 shaves it now has on it. And most of those hairs lost were in the first week or so. I attribute that to just part of the "break-in" period as a new brush.

proxy.php

proxy.php

The Berkeley was my first quality brush too. I loved feel of the handle-my own little piece of history and craftsmanship.

The Berkeley was my first quality brush too. I loved feel of the handle-my own little piece of history and craftsmanship.

I know what you mean. The handle's heft, smooth texture and solid feel is very nice! The bristles are "just right" for face-lathering (not too floppy) also.

Today is the One Year mark that I've been using this brush. This morning was it's 310th shave (this is the only brush I've used since the day I recieved it), so it's my exclusive go-to brush and the only one I own. I continue to LOVE this brush. It's a great performer (I face lather exclusively). I can't even remember the last time it lost a hair (maybe one hair every couple months?).

If you haven't tried a Simpson badger, you may want to treat yourself to a very fine, quality brush. :thumbup:

proxy.php

It's good to see someone use these brushes as they were intended! I wonder if early Simpsons family ever envisioned a bunch of enthusiasts 'rotating' a dozen different brushes.

What did you do with the Omega you had?
I have the Berkeley in Best too, and enjoy it a lot...but I still like variety two.
My Berkeley is used 2-3x a week.

Great brush, I used my duke 3 in similar fashion; everyday for over a year and I still love it every time! Recently caught a chubby 2 for a steal online. Still use my duke3 once a week when I stay overnight at work. Love the Simpsons best badger for face lathering!

What did you do with the Omega you had?
I have the Berkeley in Best too, and enjoy it a lot...but I still like variety two.
My Berkeley is used 2-3x a week.

I gifted that Omega 10065 boar to a friend who now has been using it daily since last May.

Top Bottom