What's new

A wet shave stroy from a convert from cartridges

Hello all. Like most on the site I have quietly sat back for several months absorbing as much information as possible before delving into DE shaving.

So here is my story. Shaving for too many decades and still not finding what style of shaving fits firstly my poor face (I did have a hard paper round). Secondly convenience (we all live such fast paced lives don't we?) Thirdly trying to cut down the amount of times a week I shave, work like me to be clean shaven so I rebell a little with a slight stubble. In the past I used every make of electric to various cartridges.

My beard grows in every direction and is very coarse like steel wire, grows exponentially quick meaning a BBS look is a shave in a morning to get home to more stubble which I could sandpaper wood with. I used a Wilkinson Sword five bladed cart very well for years BUT due to wearing shirt and tie every day would suffer from in grown hairs on the neck allot. As some of you know these not only cause unsightly lumps but hurt and take light years to go on occasion. Hence why I came across the glory of B&B website and the abundance of help / advice and stories.

So what did I do ? I dumped the cart bought all the required soaps & pre shaves and balms of course most I had. Now the new razor, oh which to buy? So reading the forums and knowing I had a course beard which when off work I let grow to Grizzly Adams length opted for a Marker Futur for its adaptable performance. First shave results a fair few nicks and cuts (using a Derby blade) but was fairly close one setting 1. However even though I knew the razor was heavy I soon realized that it's not for a beginner to DE shaving as some people had said. So back to the forums. So a new purchase a Marker DE 34c and a blade sample pack. Second shave with a Shark blade and the 34c. Results one small nick after three pass shave but a smooth result. However four shaves in I stil get the neck of fire after each shave so I guess too much pressure? Even though I feel I not using any pressure so still a learning curve for me I guess.

So I'd like to say a big hello to everyone and I really appreciate all the advice on here and hopefully too, I one day will reach Eutopia of an irritation free BBS. I will keep you posted.

Welcome. It takes a bit of time to understand what 'no pressure' really is after using carts. However, once you get it, it will be permanently etched in your shave skills.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Welcome to B&B.

Like you, my beard is wiry and grows in numerous directions. Have you mapped the grain of your beard on your neck? If not, I recommend you do this so you can determine what is WTG and ATG. The grain of my beard particularly on my neck changes in so many directions and then in spots swirls so that a WTG pass in meaningless. I look to see in what direction my beard grows the most and that becomes my WTG pass realizing that in some spots it may be XTG and ATG. I then use a very light touch in going in that direction. For me, the ONLY way I can get a decent shave is to do a 4-pass shave. On my neck, I must use a very light touch.

The neck is a tricky area to shave because keeping the right blade angle and little pressure is a challenge. The usual advice is to let the weight of the razor do the job - not put pressure on the blade. To put that in action I have found that using the two fingers and my thumb to hold the razor with another finger resting on the tip of the handle. This results in holding the razor very lightly with no pressure on the razor. You want to hold the razor as lightly as you can without it falling from your hand. I have found that using the right grip on your razor goes a long way in keeping pressure off of the blade. The wiki deals with holding a razor and may help you. You may have to click on each photo to load it.

For information about blade angle, look here in the wiki.

Thanks for your messages. I have Astra blade in my sample set I will try that next.

Thanks Ackvil the forum and wiki is a great source of info. I guess for me it practice practice practice. I hope as my technique improve my skin adapts and the glory of a BBS awaits.

Before you go further, remember that money doesn't buy you success. Quite the opposite. My cheapest razor ($0.30 YUMA) and Soap (Boots) give me my best shaves.

Blades maketh the shave. Finding what works for you in blades can be as important than the razor.

The Merkurs are great razors. Stick with the 34C whilst you get your technique right.

Cuts, nicks and soreness is usually from poor technique.

There is no true "shaving across the grain". Hair grows in all directions. 1 down, 1 across and 1 up will cover most of it.

Have fun.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum, thanks for sharing. You will get there in the long run. It will take a little time and effort but it will be worthwhile.

Welcome aboard! A few suggestions/comments:

First, congratulations of your progress!!

Second, I suggest you focus on technique! Read through the Wiki and watch a few videos. Then, concentrate on NO pressure (totally different from carts) and assuring the optimal razor angle.

Third, give this some time and effort. Traditional wet shaving is a skill that takes awhile to acquire.

Stick with this and you will get the results you want!! :a14::a14:

Welcome!

I started with a Van Der Hagen TTO and their supplied blades--nicks and weepers were the order of the day. As I tried some different blades I did notice a difference. Then, little more than a month into my DE shaving, I got a Merkur 38C. My results went up dramatically, but I still got some irritation--thankfully the weepers went the way of the dodo (seriously!). Now, that could be due to improvement in technique, to be sure. But then I did something that really helped.

I mapped my beard grain.

OnceI started shaving to match my grain pattern--and not using pressure--my shave game went through the roof. I stuck with Astras for a while as I worked on my technique, then slowly started trying other blades. My irritation is now a thing of the past (until I started using a new, more aggressive razor), and I consistently get DFS or BBS every day.

That's certainly not the case for everyone. But stick with it, and stick with one set up for a month or so while you hone your technique. Once you start changing variables then you can never be sure what might be causing the issue. But if you have solid technique, then you can change one thing at a time and see what truly works best for you.

I can't say much that others have already stated. I do have a Merkur Futur. I love it. I use Gillette Blue Platinum blades from Amazon. They have been my overall best blade. I do not like the Merkur blades. I recently used Astra and liked it, but it was in a shavette, not a DE.
I personally used to get razor burn and ingrown hairs when using conventional razors. Since using a DE, all of that has stopped and I have enjoyed shaving. Pressure and angle will mean alot. I hold the razor with my thumb and 1st finger up towards the razor and my third finger towards the tip of the handle to assist with angle. Everyone has a technique. You will figure yours out.

Guys really appreciate all your advice and more that the warm welcome. I will keep you advised of progress as my DE journey continues.

Some great experiences from you all appreciated. I guess for me it's technique and angle. Progress every shave I suppose that's the goal.

So it's been a long time since my last post. But I would like to up date you and hopefully Inspire some newbies. I have been DE shaving for a while now and I have to stay it's one of the best things I've done.

I now shave with no nicks and gain BBS every time. So here's my advice. Make the shave a pleasure not a chore. Finding the right blade is key (derby was awful just awful) shark blades I prefer. Soap and oils vary but if used right most do the same job. Absolutely zero pressure on the handle it will cut the whiskers easy. You may have to shave twice (sometimes 3 times for me) in one session. Use good after shave or skin care routine and it's the best thing you can do. And it's more manly and looks better in the bathroom ha ha.

If you've not yet changed to DE then trust me it does take a while from plastic to get the technical side of it but it comes. Zero pressure on the handle is key.

Thanks to the forum and guys for helping me at first for the advice and warm welcome and I'd really like to see someone follow my change to DE.

Away with the plastic.

Stay safe and thanks.

Top Bottom