What's new

A Wet Confession

After laughing at a recent post where a guy confessed to letting the water run over in his sink while soaking his brush, guess what I did this AM?

Yup.

Came out of the shower wondering why the bath mat was darker around the edge, then heard the water pouring over the edge of the sink. An hour later I had the bathroom pretty well cleaned up--but my wife is now sure that I am a lost cause.:redface:

Okay, quick question. So are you soaking your brush during your shower? I never would have even considered letting it sit that long. A minute or so while I am doing other things, pulling out my cream, cleaning my ears, etc. seems long enough to work for me.

I let the brush soak in the hot water in the lathering bowl while I shower. Doesn't seem to do any damage. I've also decided that I'll fill the sink with hot water for the soak so the (soapstone) lathering bowl can be heated inside and out... Yes, I've gone round the bend.

Leisureguy said:
I let the brush soak in the hot water in the lathering bowl while I shower. Doesn't seem to do any damage. I've also decided that I'll fill the sink with hot water for the soak so the (soapstone) lathering bowl can be heated inside and out... Yes, I've gone round the bend.
I do the same thing with my lather bowl though not for the duration of a shower. I find that it does make at least a mild difference in how warm the lather stays.

Yes, I put my brush in the sink and plop my bowl on top so the brush won't float on top of the water. I leave it in the sink during my shower, which is fairly quick--5 minutes tops. Then I shave.

The longer soak seems to help with retaining heat in the brush's breech. Especially when I don't let the sink overfill--right, Creslin!:biggrin:

I let my brush soak in a coffee mug. It probably doesn't matter, but I don't want the whole brush submerged for any period of time.

Randy

mrob said:
... my wife is now sure that I am a lost cause.:redface:

Mitch, did she really have any doubt before now? :biggrin:

Really though, I do have a suggestion as to how you can avoid this in the future... let your brush soak in a big mug O' hot water rather than in the sink... my mug has never overflowed, but my brish always soaks. :001_smile

fuerein said:
Okay, quick question. So are you soaking your brush during your shower? I never would have even considered letting it sit that long. A minute or so while I am doing other things, pulling out my cream, cleaning my ears, etc. seems long enough to work for me.

My brush goes into a large mug filled to the brim with piping hot water at around 6:45AM, gets re-filled with fresh hot water once or twice, and doesn't actually get used until about 7:25AM. Also, Mug gets refilled one last time with fresh hot water immediately out of the shower.

mrob said:
After laughing at a recent post where a guy confessed to letting the water run over in his sink while soaking his brush, guess what I did this AM?

Yup.

Came out of the shower wondering why the bath mat was darker around the edge, then heard the water pouring over the edge of the sink. An hour later I had the bathroom pretty well cleaned up--but my wife is now sure that I am a lost cause.:redface:

So does the soaked bath mat method work or should I just stick with soaking my brush only? :001_tt2:

Oh yeah how was the shave?

Soaking the brush in water should not do it any harm, i keep mine in water for a total of 25 minutes when with customers and the brush i use (simpson pj1) has lasted me 7 years and still going strong.
It is only when you dry the brush you should be sure all the water is out. As that is when the glue will come loose leaving you with a bald brush.

BTW, sorry to hear of the water leak. LOL

Same here. I fill up my sink with hot water and place my lather bowl in there while I shower. Next to that I fill a coffee mug with hot water and place my brush in there.

I haven't yet had an overflowing sink but I assume I'll have to say "never say never". :001_smile

Regarding damage to the brush: I would assume that the brush can stand half an hour of rather hot water as long as you don't place it in boiling hot water.

Oh no. Is it bad to place the brush in boiling hot water??? I've been boiling water in my hot-pot and pouring some into the mug to soad the brush and the rest in the sink for various uses. (I've done this about 5 times) What kind of brush damage should I expect?

Hi Rob,

I'm only assuming that placing a brush in boiling hot water is not really good seen the effects boiling hot water has on other things, so I don't have a good explanation for it.

Maybe some of the guru's can shed some light on this?

BGog said:
Oh no. Is it bad to place the brush in boiling hot water??? I've been boiling water in my hot-pot and pouring some into the mug to soad the brush and the rest in the sink for various uses. (I've done this about 5 times) What kind of brush damage should I expect?

I would imagine that over time this will dry out the badger hairs and/or make them brittle to the point of breaking. Try using water that isn't quite so hot, I think you'll be suprised at how much MORE water the hairs will retain.

BGog said:
It may also loosen the glue and your brush may start to loose its hair.

Top Bottom