What's new

A weird one here, back shaving

Ok I'm not proud to be asking about this, and I'm sure it's a private matter for some, but I need a little help here. How do you guys shave your backs?

I've been trying a bunch of things and this is just not working for me. Au naturale is a no go, because I look like a freaking wookie if I don't keep it in check. So far I've tried regular razors; can't reach far enough. I got one of those electric body trimmers that's basically an electric on a stick, and that thing sucked. I used the "bakblade" for like a year, and while it was ok, carts are like 4 bucks a pop and I only get a couple shaves out of them.

So my latest attempt here is going to be a product called the bro shaver. I know, I deserve something with a name like that for trying. It's basically a Gillette guard, no pivot though, that's like 2 feet long. It takes de blades; 3 of them in line for a 5" cutting surface. I'm hoping that's the golden ticket. Any advice would help....

Oh and another thing. How the heck am I supposed to get lather all over my back!? I tried a loofa on a stick, but there has to be a better way!

Oh and another thing. How the heck am I supposed to get lather all over my back!? I tried a loofa on a stick, but there has to be a better way!
I've seen those long-handled bath brushes with boar bristles on them. . . :001_rolle
On a more serious note, the closest I get to back shaving is back-of-the-neck shaving. Based on my admittedly limited experience, I'd say you don't need good lather back there; a little bit of soap suds goes a long way.

I've seen those long-handled bath brushes with boar bristles on them. . . :001_rolle
On a more serious note, the closest I get to back shaving is back-of-the-neck shaving. Based on my admittedly limited experience, I'd say you don't need good lather back there; a little bit of soap suds goes a long way.

The soap is what I've been doing as of late. It gets the job done but isn't what I'd call, pleasant. :lol:

Looks like this isn't a popular topic :lol:

I'm supposed to get delivery of my new razor today. I'll post some impressions and whatnot after first use tonight in case there are any other hairy gents silently suffering around here. :shaving:

Well, if it makes you feel any better, part of the problem is the forum you're in. "Skin, Body & Hair Care" is far from the most popular section of B&B. I have a feeling that a couple weeks will drum up a few more replies.

Ironically, you could have posted this in the "General Shaving Discussion" forum and you probably would have at least half a dozen replies by now--though who knows if any would be constructive.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, part of the problem is the forum you're in. "Skin, Body & Hair Care" is far from the most popular section of B&B. I have a feeling that a couple weeks will drum up a few more replies.

Ironically, you could have posted this in the "General Shaving Discussion" forum and you probably would have at least half a dozen replies by now--though who knows if any would be constructive.

Very true on both points! I was debating where to post and figured that this section would be slightly more appropriate. Not to mention, I get enough Bigfoot jokes from the SWMBO :w00t:

Any updates on the new product? I shave mine in the shower w a Mach 3 or have my wife do it with a dE. It’s definitely hard to reach parts of my own back.

Any updates on the new product? I shave mine in the shower w a Mach 3 or have my wife do it with a dE. It’s definitely hard to reach parts of my own back.

Thanks for the reminder mars! I completely forgot to update this! The short answer, it does work. Took a few minutes of getting used to and finding the right angle, but that thing mowed down some hair. I really like being able to load up some de blades instead of carts, and the long handle made my while back easily accessible. The blades that came in the package were smooth, but not incredibly sharp. I'll probably try Astra sp or Gillette yellows on the next shave.

Assembly was pretty straightforward. The head where the blades go is numbered 1-3 so that you put them in in t he right order. Once the blades are in, they stayed put and lined up without issue. Overall, I'd buy it again and I think it's a pretty good product. Here's a few pics of the package and blade installation.

Attachments

• 20171021_151514.jpg
    20171021_151514.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 55
  • 20171021_151720.jpg
    20171021_151720.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 52
  • 20171021_152116.jpg
    20171021_152116.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 52
  • 20171021_152215.jpg
    20171021_152215.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 53
Did you use save soap? And it looks scary to me. Any cuts?
For the first shave I did. Actually AOS ocean kelp cream applied with a loofah on a stick :laugh:. I've used a similar shaver that had proprietary carts in the same configuration with just some water though.

No cuts or irritation at all with the shave cream and done in the shower. I just snapped a quick comparison pic, and it actually has less blade exposure than my fatboy set at 3.
20171024_070817.jpg

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
For the first shave I did. Actually AOS ocean kelp cream applied with a loofah on a stick :laugh:. I've used a similar shaver that had proprietary carts in the same configuration with just some water though.

No cuts or irritation at all with the shave cream and done in the shower. I just snapped a quick comparison pic, and it actually has less blade exposure than my fatboy set at 3.
View attachment 831755
interesting ... looks like something ill put on the list thanks

Why not try nair or one of those other non-razor hair removal creams? I'm somewhat hirsute myself and Ive used those products to remobe unwanted hair from my back. With help from the wife of course.

Why not try nair or one of those other non-razor hair removal creams? I'm somewhat hirsute myself and Ive used those products to remobe unwanted hair from my back. With help from the wife of course.

I should probably try one of those. I did nair once a couple years back, and maybe I left it on too long. It burned like hellfire lol. The lack of a wife does limit options for help also :lol:

I got one of these yesterday. Their making fun of the whole "bro" thing in their promotional material was pretty funny.

I agree that with everything emt88 wrote. It does work as promised. I shaved dry and that was a mistake, as was not being careful about how I moved the thing. I had a few cuts that I didn't feel until afterwards, and even then it wasn't a big deal. But avoidable.

I need to arrange an extra mirror that allows me to see behind me.

Once the blades are in, they stayed put and lined up without issue.
I'm wary of and loose janky blade setup and that was my biggest concern. Thanks for the update.

Ok 15 months of silence in this thread. And I looked at what choices were out there. Only found the one DE choice. The Bro Shaver. Maybe for a triple pass shave? :a16:
I need to arrange an extra mirror that allows me to see behind me.
Picked out some LED mirrors for that purpose and if I take up clipping my own hair. That's next level. Fogless mirrors if you do it in the shower.

It claims to be for wet or dry, even the shower. I'm guessing the dry method intended is more or less dragging it.
However, I'd like to think that some DE shaving skills would/could carry over with this oversized DE razor. :a11:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
You need to find someone that can do it for you. Anyone. Take some beard trimmers to it and be done in 5 minutes. If you want it shaved with a razor just use Barbasol and be done in 10. Use a cart, call it a day. Or find a place you can pay to wax it. It’s your back, not your face. Speaking for myself, this is how I would handle it.

Speaking for myself, this is how I would handle it.
If only I could get that square in the middle of my back. When I weighed 60lbs more, well that square was much larger.

Have to get a proper hair cutter and trimmer when I have time to research. Don't want to pay to have someone else to manscape. There are pluses to waxing, perhaps less/less thicker hair grows back. Nair isn't forgiving and expensive and feels like a chemical burn.

Now Barbasol was my DD when I shaved with my Bic disposable. And what I used when UPS arrived with it. Yes I already ordered the Bro. Which kinds looks like a giant size version of what I used. No turning back now. Or lots of back turning to be precise.

Used the blades that came with it. Jumped right in and used it dry at first like a rake. No bearing down, just dragging it back and forth. Letting the comb do the work. Others here in the thread seem to have cuts or irritation. Which was a concern for me as well. It felt more like a back scratcher for me. So YMMV.

Then to rinsing it with a water bucket and get about 85% of what was needed to be done. Finish off the remainder with Barbosol in the shower. One pass done. I didn't go for perfect but made short work of it. Good first time out.

It's open tooth so I raked it back and forth like a brute. But not so that it would strain the handle. No real irritation and that's with the blades out of the box. Perhaps thicker DE blades might be good replacement blades?

Once the lighted mirrors arrive, I should be set.

Top Bottom