What's new

A weird discovery...

After 2 years or so of DE shaving, I switched back to carts.

Then, at some point, I just grew tired of lathering, shaving, cleaning, and spending dedicated time every morning on shaving. It used to be fun, but life really got busy lately.

So, I switched to electric and got a nice Braun 7 foil with a cleaning station, a whole deal. It was giving me a good shave, not quite BBS but very close.

I ended up giving it to my kid, who just couldn't find a razor that would give him a comfortable shave, and took his cheap Norelco rotary. A little less close shave, but good enough to last a day (my beard is mostly gray anyway). Also, a rotary is easier to use, don't have to watch the hair growth direction.

With both razors, I've been using different preps - nothing (dry shaving) Lectric Shave (didn't like the oily feeling), Crema, canned goo, or just splashing some shampoo on my face if shaving in a shower. This produced variable levels of comfort, but the end result was more or less the same - solid DFS.

Yesterday, I grabbed the first top shelf bottle that I reached in the shower, and used it on my head and face without even looking at the label. To my great surprise, the resulting shave was probably the closest I ever got with an electric, practically BBS. It was Johnson & Johnson Baby Shampoo.

So I tried it again today, same result.

No idea what is so special about it, but it seems to work wonders.

Curious if someone else could try & see if it makes a difference.

Being retired, I don’t have any baby shampoo. I’m a few decades past having babies in the house. But if it works for you, use it! And thanks for sharing. I’m watching this thread to see if anyone has similar stories using baby shampoo. You might be on to something!

When life gets busy, I value the sanctity of my wet shaving routine the most. It’s the calm before the storm for me.

I wish you the best of luck with your electric. Just remember to find some time for yourself in your schedule each day. It’s important. You can’t look after others if you don’t look after yourself.

Thanks for the report! Others have also had good results using hair conditioner (no specific brands mentioned). Given that electric shavers made in the last few years are waterproof and can be used wet (or in the shower), you could try that as well and see if you get good results.

Some years ago, a dermatologist recommended to me that I wash my hair with baby shampoo because it would be less likely to irritate my skin/scalp and cause allergies. You can shave with anything that foams up.

Then, at some point, I just grew tired of lathering, shaving, cleaning, and spending dedicated time every morning on shaving. It used to be fun, but life really got busy lately.

So, I switched to electric and got a nice Braun 7 foil with a cleaning station, a whole deal. It was giving me a good shave, not quite BBS but very close.

I ended up giving it to my kid, who just couldn't find a razor that would give him a comfortable shave, and took his cheap Norelco rotary. A little less close shave, but good enough to last a day (my beard is mostly gray anyway). Also, a rotary is easier to use, don't have to watch the hair growth direction.

With both razors, I've been using different preps - nothing (dry shaving) Lectric Shave (didn't like the oily feeling), Crema, canned goo, or just splashing some shampoo on my face if shaving in a shower. This produced variable levels of comfort, but the end result was more or less the same - solid DFS.

Yesterday, I grabbed the first top shelf bottle that I reached in the shower, and used it on my head and face without even looking at the label. To my great surprise, the resulting shave was probably the closest I ever got with an electric, practically BBS. It was Johnson & Johnson Baby Shampoo.

Soap (but not as much of it) and a little glycerin in Johnson's. Shaving wet with an electric (as many are now designed) will always give you a closer shave (and usually more comfortable). I use the same prep and software - brush, scuttle and soap - that I use for a DE shave with my electrics.

Johnson's is really premium skin/hair care. Think about it- it's one of the most liability ridden, regulated products available. Very good, very effective. I don't use it, but my wife does.

I was washing my hands with a Cetaphil "cleanser bar" and I noticed how slippery and slick it felt. I then remembered that this cleanser bar is not considered actual soap. Soap dries my skin. Even the expensive soaps with "skin food" ingredients end up drying my skin. So I shredded up the Cetaphil bar and smashed it into my shave mug. I lathered it up in my timeless lather bowl but it was a bit runny and watery so I added a little Proraso shave cream. This mixture produced a thick, slick lather and afterwards, my face did not feel dry at all. I think I just found my permanent shave "soap".

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Back when I was a nurse in nursing homes there was standing orders for washing several folks eyes out with J&J baby shampoo to get the goop out. Very gentle stuff.

Top Bottom