What's new

A Week and a Half of Derbys

Working my way through the sampler pack, we now come to the Derby. The blade people seem to either love or hate.

This sucker is sharp, maybe not like the Swedish Gillette or the Feather, but sharper than anything else I've tried so far. So sharp on my face that I went back to the Kyle method of holding my razor at the base for one shave to lessen the irritation factor.

When I took time with my shave and went very carefully with these bad boys, I got some superb shaves. But more superb than the IPs? Not so much so that I felt they were worth the trouble. They punished me rather quickly, too quickly.

I also figured out the probable source of my razor burn around the corners of my mouth. I always rotate through blades with Fat Boy, SuperSpeed, then Tech. And I have gotten razor burn now when I am on the Tech. Actually, I used a Pleese this time in the rotation, which is another three piece DE that I actually liked the feel of more than the Tech.

But anyway. The razor burn set in when I was in the three piece part of the rotation. Which tells me that maybe something about the TTO head gives me more protection for the shave at that point. The other thing is that the SuperSpeed is the mildest shave for me, it tamed these Derbys down but still gave me a great shave.

So, for me, sharper than IPs, but not worth the hassle for the small incremental shave quality I get over the IPs.

Now: on to the Swedish Gillettes!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The Derbys are very nice blades, and I have several hundred of them. Still, I tend to prefer the IP's for their unique ability to grow dull without becoming rough. Can't say the same for the Derbys or the Feathers. The IP's are like Patton's old soldiers- they just fade away.

So far, the SuperSpeed is the razor that can do no wrong, in my books.

I enjoy mine more than my new HD. :lol:

On the topic though, you're one step ahead of me. I finished my sampling of IPs this week (though I only used 3 of the 5 blades, but that should be enough to check them) and next shave will be with the Derbys, followed by the Swedes and the Feathers, of course. I'll see how I like them.

I also rotate repeatedly through my different blades. This past week was Derby week.

Last night, I got a nearly perfect shave from the sixth use of this particular Derby. However, other blades from the same pack have been awful from the start. :confused:

Tim

So far I've tried at least one of each kind of blade in the sampler (and I've used plenty of the Merkurs and Feathers) and my face seems to get along with all of them. Of course, I only have one razor - a 1962 Gillette slim adjustable. The Feathers give me the best shave, but the IPs and Derbys work almost as well, and you can't beat the price. I actually wasn't that crazy about the Swedish gillettes, but I've still got a few left - I'll give them another try as soon as I use up the Feather that's in the razor now.

Of course, at some point I'll probably switch over to a straight razor and just use my DE as a travel razor. At least, that's the plan...

My favorite blade is the Derby (especially since they're easily available). I like the Swedish Gillettes too sometimes but they're difficult to find and rather expensive because of that.

I'm awaiting my sampler pack right now. Just curious about how often you all change your blades? Once a week, every other shave?

Thanks.

Jeff

Three or four shaves with the sampler pack blades. I was getting five out of my German Wilkinsons, but they weren't great shaves at any point. :lol:

I'm awaiting my sampler pack. How many shaves do you guys get out of a Merkur blade? I used the same blade for the 3rd time last night and butchered my neck... :death: might be me, but the didn't feel that sharp after 2 shaves (I do 2 passes).

I just switched my old merkur blade and boy was it blunt! Even my M3 blades have longer life-spans than the Merkur.

I'm going through the blade sampler right now. The only one I havent tried is the swedish gillettes(and I wont be able to for a bit because I didn't pack them to take with me.)

The derby's feel the best for me. They are smooth and stay smooth.

The worst for me were the IP's. I thought they were total junk -- I liked the merkurs better:eek: .

I will probably end up ordering some derby's. Even if the swedish gillettes are better, I don't see how they will end up being THAT much better - as I am perfectly happy with the derbys.

It works out great because the derby's are super cheap.

I guess the moral of the story is: everyone is different.

I'm going through the blade sampler right now. The only one I havent tried is the swedish gillettes(and I wont be able to for a bit because I didn't pack them to take with me.)

The derby's feel the best for me. They are smooth and stay smooth.

The worst for me were the IP's. I thought they were total junk -- I liked the merkurs better:eek: .

I will probably end up ordering some derby's. Even if the swedish gillettes are better, I don't see how they will end up being THAT much better - as I am perfectly happy with the derbys.

Oh I don't know about your beard, but when I went from Derbys to the Swedes, man was there a difference! Maybe my beard is tougher, but those Gillettes gave me a very nice shave. They were truly better than the Derbys.

Feathers are on for tomorrow. :scared:

Oh I don't know about your beard, but when I went from Derbys to the Swedes, man was there a difference! Maybe my beard is tougher, but those Gillettes gave me a very nice shave. They were truly better than the Derbys.

Feathers are on for tomorrow. :scared:

Yup, silver2k - I guess you're right about the moral of the story :biggrin:

I myself am looking forward to trying out the Feathers next week for the first time. A nice trip to the hospital emergency ward will make a welcome respite from work. :lol:

Top Bottom