What's new

A visit to the Kanayama Strop workshop

Great video. Did he tell you what all the different grades represent?
I think I may have mentioned in the beginning of the video that the
different grades represent the thickness of the cordovan and the length
of the strop. For example, the top of the line 80000 and 90000 are both
the same thickness but the 90000 is longer.

I think this video really helps show a major part of why the Kanayama strop is legendary in the razor world. Pure artisan.

Stropping on his creations leaves a feeling of joy, not just from the exceptional quality of the strop, but also from the heritage of it. Or at least that’s the way I feel!

Thank you for sharing this :)

Thank you everyone for the kind comments. Shooting the video and editing took some time.
However, it was a labor of love. I had planned to upload another video of a master barber who
is restoring Iwasaki kamisori but when I began shooting footage he asked me not to post any
video on YouTube. It is a shame since he demonstrated using JNats to hone and had some very
interesting opinions of Western SR's vs. Japanese kamisori.

He was kind to share and show and you are very fortunate to make that visit. For him and for everyone else it is really awesome you made and shared this video. Wish there more like him and you.

Regarding the barber, I can respect his privacy but it is too bad. Many would likely appreciate his knowledge.

Thanks again.

I am curious. Mr Naomi is the head behind his firm Kanayama strops? Do they sell their leather for other firms too? You can buy a strop in Germany which claims that their leather is from Kanayama but with their own logo on it. Those strops are from "Schulz".

I am curious. Mr Naomi is the head behind his firm Kanayama strops? Do they sell their leather for other firms too? You can buy a strop in Germany which claims that their leather is from Kanayama but with their own logo on it. Those strops are from "Schulz".
That is correct. While I was in the Kanayama workship, Mr Naomi showed me some strops that he said were for a German company. They were shorter than the Kanayama brand and had braided cords attached to them. The ones he showed me were not stamped yet.

Top Bottom