What's new

A vintage gift from my barber

Today I went to my barber shop to get a haircut and was just chatting about the usual topics when he began shaving my neck and around my ears with a straight as he always does. I began talking about traditional wet shaving and he said not many people do that anymore. I said that I did, which he knew as we have discussed it before. I heard him rummaging around behind me as I was getting out of the chair and as I turned to pay him he handed me the box of Williams as pictured below and asked if I could use it. I obviously accepted his gift. I think that it is from 1975-76 from what I gathered from Michiganlover's thread. It is still in the original wrapper although I have not unwrapped it yet. I just may have to finally try this soap. Although I have been shaving for many years I have never used either Williams or Colgate shaving soap. I have and use several other vintage soaps and very much enjoy them. I don't know why I have never used them because they were certainly readily available. A friend gave me a puck each of Colgate Cup soap and Williams a while back but I have yet to use them. They are unwrapped so I have no way of dating them. Needless to say, it was a great day at the barber shop.

Best Regards,

Doug
$IMGP3492.jpg$IMGP3493.jpg

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Wonderful, Doug! Please keep us updated with performance and, if possible, lather pics!

As I understand, the tallow version is a pretty good soap so I think that I will give it a try. Does anyone know what this vintage soap smelled like when new? I am going to dig out my other puck of Williams to compare the two. Are there any markings on the puck that would indicate vintage or did they use the same molds. As long as we are discussing vintage soaps, was the Colgate cup soap a descent soap? I think I read that the cup soap had tallow while the mug soap did not. Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,

Doug

I used that in the late 70s - early 80s, sadly, not with a DE. As I recall, it was a mild, soapy fragrance. By that, I mean not really any different from a mildly scented hand soap of that era. I know that's all quite vague, but it was a clean scent that quickly dissipated.

Nice! I used that when I was in high school in the 70's and recognize the packaging, would be using it today if it were available at stores, they all have VDH now and I like it as well.

As I understand, the tallow version is a pretty good soap so I think that I will give it a try. Does anyone know what this vintage soap smelled like when new? I am going to dig out my other puck of Williams to compare the two. Are there any markings on the puck that would indicate vintage or did they use the same molds. As long as we are discussing vintage soaps, was the Colgate cup soap a descent soap? I think I read that the cup soap had tallow while the mug soap did not. Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,

Doug

My father and I used Colgate in the 60s when we couldn't find Williams; it was a good shaving soap then but not so good nowadays.

It was indeed a great gift Tom, it makes me wonder what else he might have stashed away.

Regards,

Doug

Top Bottom