What's new

A very interesting shave, Part I - Lather For a King

I had an interesting shave tonight. Very pleasant, although ever so slightly frustrating, and got me thinking. I will post about other aspects elsewhere, but probably the best part of tonight shave was the lather.

I just got some Honeybee soap in for the first time (I know, this is the cream forum, hold onto you britches). I love it, and the Bay Rum smells fantastic. Such a terrific spicy smell. I started thinking about that scent, and got to thinking how a spicy sort of sandlewood might complement it. So I swirled my brush real well on that little cake of soap, and THEN........................ whipped out my tube of GFT Sandlewood, and put a small dollop in the brush. LATHER EXPLOSION. Either one of these will lather just great on its own, but somehow the combination just exploded.

As for performance, it was a truly fantastic shaving lather. So very slick from the Honeybee, and so very luxurious, and did it ever smell fantastic.

So, does anybody else ever play with mixing up their products like this? Seems like a good way to satisfy the urge to try new things without necessarily buying something new.

Also, to give credit where it is due, I got the idea to start messing around with multiple things from QED Charles, who responded to my comment about getting the idea of B&B by swirling in both 218 and Sandlewood by saying that he is always messing around with combining differently scented products.

Anyway, another fun way to play around in the bathroom. er, rather, the shaving den.

I also drop a gob of my English creams into the bowl once in a while just so they don't just sit there not being used- I ordered a unscented from HB Sue just for this purpose- so enjoy

Of course. And don't forget the DaVinci lather - Lavender and Rose (preferable Taylor) mixed together. Mmmmm.

I sometimes add a shot or two of Kiss My Face cream, either the Lavender or Cool Mint to one of my HB soaps to produce Extreme Lather! :shaving:
I plan on picking up the KMF unscented for this same purpose.

I found the Palmolive cream + Williams mug soap combo worked rather nicely (although the scent was nothing to write home about).

I haven't felt the need to try any other combinations. Tony's Proraso idea sounds interesting, though.

Today I stuck with the theme, but went in a different scent direction.

Honeybee Oak Moss soap + Musgo Real. Again, this smelled fantastic. I love the smell of Musgo, but cutting in back a little with Sue's wonderful Oak Moss just made for a great scent. And of course the lather was fantastic again.

I'm generally a Williams user, but will occasionally add some Palmolive,
but if I really want a kick I'll add a bit of "old Spice Musk" or regular
"Godrej". Both can be had at http://desistores.net/SHOWCATEGORY.ASP?CATEGORY_ID=84
but I only see the Godrej in lime now. I work with a fella from India
and he had his father bring these to me. Check around for some Indian
markets in your area as the shipping deom Desistores runs it up....

Marcus83 said:
regular
"Godrej". Both can be had at http://desistores.net/SHOWCATEGORY.ASP?CATEGORY_ID=84
but I only see the Godrej in lime now. I work with a fella from India
and he had his father bring these to me. Check around for some Indian
markets in your area as the shipping deom Desistores runs it up....

What is Godrej cream like on its own as regards, lather, gliding ability, moisturising effect and smell? I might be able to get my hands on some, if it is worth getting. I normally use Proraso but with winter approaching would like to try something else.
Raj.

What a great idea. Since converting to the Honeybee soaps my creams have sat idle. Finaly a way to use up the creams. Now to figure out what scent goes with what.

Top Bottom