What's new

A very appropriate Captain's Choice customer

We are proud to have a member of the Merchant Marine who takes his Captain's Choice bay rum to sea. He may be on duty off the coast of Maine or off the coast of Alaska in the Bering Sea, depending on the season. He wrote to tell us of the unforgiving and harsh environment his face is subjected to every day. Lashing winds, 15 foot seas, salt spray, freezing temperatures and more. And yes, with the ship pitching too and fro, when he shaves he gets out his straight razor... He is a man's man I can assure you.

Here is what he had to say:

"Upon first application I knew I had found something special. After a long day in subzero temperatures, with a wind burnt face and heavy heart, this little bottle of magic rejuvenated, reinvigorated and replenished my tired face time after time. The smell is great and does not overpower, burns a bit and then leaves your face feeling tight, toned and fresh. In short this stuff is bloody fantastic."

proxy.php

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing, Cap! A man's man for sure! Keep up the good work and the satisfied customers will keep on rollin' in!

And to the other extreme (extremely mild), is a weak-as-water public servant with hands as soft as a velvet child.

Don't bother me, though - I've got myself a bottle o' the 9 Tails!

$20140109_100249.jpg

Woof, or rather REOWR!!!!! Tore my neck up this morning and wondered if I should persist with the first-ever try of the Cat.

Jumped in, and on application I got the same ol' mild burn as I get from most alcohol splashes. I was fairly nonplussed, to be honest.
After about two seconds though, my face was on FIRE! I mean this stuff has some serious heat behind it.

What is it about this stuff that gives such a burn, Captain?

It lasted just short of a minute, with a pleasant tingle following that. This is a man's bay rum, to be sure.

I mean this stuff has some serious heat behind it.

What is it about this stuff that gives such a burn, Captain?

It lasted just short of a minute, with a pleasant tingle following that. This is a man's bay rum, to be sure.

It is kind of like that crazy uncle in your family - it has shall we say, personality.

The backdrop to this is that our bay rum had been released a year before but I kept getting emails asking if I could amp up the burn. Instead of tinkering with a winner like our bay rum I thought, "Why not have two and the second will be for guys who really like to feel the heat?" So I began on a second (Monte Python-like) quest to develop a formula that was still a bay rum but had more burn. Mind you, the first formula took over four months and some coin I can assure you.

(The Captain clears his throat as a prelude...) One of these preliminary formulas that I tested personally delivered what I would say is three times the burn of Cat O' Nine Tails. The neighbors nearly called the police when they heard me.

So yes, your experience is like that of many: The Cat is splashed on... humph, not a big deal... waitaminute... oh boy, OH BOY, Oh YEAHHHH - How does he DO that???!!

So that was the long answer, the short answer is that it is a different formula with one goal - to deliver the burn the customers like.

Yeah, three times the burn, did you add some kind of acid to it or what?

Tomorrow I might try a fire and ice shave with the two products that have hurt my face the most in my time wetshaving: Stirling's Glacial and your Cat.

I'm scared.

The Captain clears his throat as a prelude...) One of these preliminary formulas that I tested personally delivered what I would say is three times the burn of Cat O' Nine Tails. The neighbors nearly called the police when they heard me.

I almost hate to say this, but I don't really get a huge burn from Co9T. I'm not sure if I got a tame batch, I'm immune to what causes the burn, or what.

If you ever want a tester for Co27T, let me know.

Last edited:
I almost hate to say this, but I don't really get a huge burn from Co9T. I'm not sure if I got a tame batch, I'm immune to what causes the burn, or what.

If you ever want a tester for Co27T, let me know.

Do you use witch hazel before the Co9T? I was doing that and it mutes the burn.

i also didnt find the cat to burn very much. i have some tough skin though when it comes to after shaves. sensitive to the shave but for some reason not so much to after shave

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Very nice indeed Scott and thank you for sharing.

P.S. I'm not a sailor, but I enjoy the Captain's Bay Rum anytime at home. Excellent product! :thumbup:

Top Bottom