What's new

A Turkish Delight: The Yuma razor.

Can’t say enough about the Yuma. Fantastic shaver. I picked one up at Boots the last time I was in London. Puts those $200 razors to shame. $2!!

Im using Yuma for about 15 year and more recently buy new and there is diference between new and old.New is not so agressive like old smaller gap better protected from loosing colour and one side is milder than other.I have gillete slim ,ej 89 , parkrer 91 r,star wintage ,russian ideal ,wilkinson sword but Yuma with permasharp and with tallow base soap Palmira is my favorite.

Would you happen to be stationed in Serbia?

Hello

I finally dragged out my Yuma razors. I have three. Two are the ”new” models make in Turkey. The other is one I picked up in a group lot from eBay.

The new ones are shown below in front of the blue box and have a scalloped safety bar. They are made of Zamac/zinc. I did polish the cap and base of the one on the left.

The other one the cap is Zamac/zinc and the base is steel with a smooth safety bar. The pins look undersized but the head locks up nice. Not sure if this is a Frankenrazor.

I shaved with the polished “new” one today and here are the details.
Shave was a two pass head, face XTG, ATG shower shave With about three days growth.
Blade was an Astra SP. Brush was Omega boar using Arko soap.

The shave was enjoyable. The razor is very light (may fill handle) and loud.
The razor gave me a smooth almost BBC shave. I think a few more shaves with it is needed to fairly evaluate.
The efficiency was good. Not much blade feel but it performed well. I didn’t find it overly aggressive And I love aggressive razors. Overall it’s a very smooth shaver.

I am drawn to Eastern European razors for some reason so that’s probably the reason I got it. For the price and a couple of minutes spent polishing it up I’m happy. Next will be the “other Yuma”. Eye candy below.

Cheers
John

6D766638-CFBF-4716-9096-F070228B7078.jpeg
4F84464C-DDC0-447E-BE46-2BBF94BCF48A.jpeg
9CAE61E7-C8C2-4C2B-AD48-3C685B199040.jpeg
A85182E1-2A74-42EC-96A5-802F7218C0AC.jpeg

I have a couple of YUMAs, its an absolutely great little razor..!! I think it compares to the ARKO soap, among the very best performance-wise, though inconspicuous otherwise, and dirt cheap. I pay 2 Euros a piece for them (I give them away to prospective new DE shavers..). The first YUMA I got was given to me (it was my first DE razor too). It appears older than the ones I bought, has a slightly heavier handle, which I really like. Very smooth shave either way. Blade alignment is not always the pretties, but I find that it doesn't affect the shave.

I picked one of these up on Ebay a couple of years ago. I used it a couple of times and found it to be efficient but the surfaces to have some sharp/slight jagged edges due to what appears to be a cheap manufacturing process. I recently took it out again and put a few thin coats of clearcoat over the entire razor. Much better now And still very efficient.

looks like the cheap concord I bought locally for a few bucks.

it shaves like crap and the sharp bottom cap edge is more dangerous than a sharp blade. Alignment is a total failure. Worst of all, the threading wore off after a few weeks.
Are you criticizing a razor you don’t own and have never tried?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Are you criticizing a razor you don’t own and have never tried?
Not sure in this case, but there is a fair amount of that on forums -- beware!

Turkish Yuma is a good razor, just use with extra care. Mine was about $2 if I remember. Copied after the common generic Solingen dual sided razor.

YUMA
full

German differential, this is the milder side
full

More aggressive side
full

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
That's a nice shine on the cap, Jim. :thumbsup:

Thanks, Cal.

Mine may have arrived more shiny than some, but I did use a little Flitz and a rag. Nothing beyond that was needed. Well, Dawn and a toothbrush.

Interesting to me: One of the guards was pretty shiny. The other is dull looking as if it has a coating of dirty oil. I've been able to polish that side a bit, but not enough to compete with the shiny guard.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It's actually an Omega 599 Super Badger 22/48, same handle and knot size as the SCRITCHMEISTER (aka 11047 Mixed Midget) but luxuriously soft. :wink2:

View attachment 1318238

Interesting brush, Cal.

I've never used an Omega three band or even considered one. That said, although I wouldn't rule out ever buying another brush, I'm certainly not in need of any more. I've satisfied my brush requirements. Probably I have only three three band silvertips but they're good ones. Three's enough for me especially considering I'm mostly into two bands and Manchurians.

Pretty cool to see the Mixed Midget's soft twin though.

This got me to looking around to see what's out there. I ran across ⬇ these two brushes ⬇ both of which look to have the same handle of my excellent Omega Jade Premium Boar. Anyway, the hair of the two brushes seems to go by the same name but it doesn't look the same in both.

1630152226843.png

I wonder what's up with that?

The photo above is from WCS, but another vendor has the same brushes with the same variation in Super badger.

1630152534666.png

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
In spite of myself I just ordered the second to last available 6210 from Maggard's.

Connaught.Jade.Omega.Boar.640.3-20.JPG

Assuming the handle is much the same as the great handle on my Omega Jade Premium Boar, which is a handle I like a great deal, and assuming the knot seems (brand new, not ever wet) to my liking, which I suspect will be the case, I will keep it. Otherwise I'll return it without using it.

The fact that its nominal size is 26 mm was a deal clincher for me.

I looked at this brush a good while back but didn't pull the trigger. My recent uses of three band silvertip brushes have been interesting in that I seem to like them better than I once did (as compared to two bands). Is the 6210 a two band or a three band? Either might be okay with me, but it certainly looks like two band Super Badger as compared with the three band Super Badger of the 6209.

1630155189547.png

The above information on the hairs is from the Omega website.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
Top Bottom