What's new

A tulip in bloom

Many of you might be familiar with the other brushes/stands that I hand carved. But with the idea ( for a woodcarver) that turning a piece of wood, exotic or not, into a brush is fairly straight forward. Wood is wood. Takes no more skill to turn exotic wood as it does a piece of plain wood.
But I wondered if the reverse could be true as well. Taking a fairly non-descript piece of wood, and turn it into something more exotic looking.
Well that was the idea I had in mind when I ventured out to my studio. I didn't want to just turn a piece of wood into a handle. I wanted to turn a piece of wood into a carving. Something on the verge of more exotic.
Now this piece I'm sure won't appeal to many. But the only one I have to please is myself. I've been working on several ideas and this is in it's infancy. I wanted to see where this can go. Hey, I love a challenge, I like to experiment so off I went.
I turned a plain piece of cherry into a shape that I thought I could deal with. Then I brought out my chisels and went to work. I liked the idea of a flower in bloom. Hence the Tulip shapes involved. The base represents the stalk, and the top is almost the Tulip in bloom,, almost coming out of a stem or vase shape. The petals and leaves alternate the pattern within themselves and from top to bottom. A recent thread also questioned why there isn't a larger base in order to grip a brush. Well , this design lends itself nicely to this theory and the slender waist allows your fingers to grip it effortlessly. The leaves also add to the security of the grip. This piece was hand carved out of one piece of wood. It's a longer style brush which I like because it easily reaches into the deeper bowls I have, and I don't have to fumble with a stubby brush as I now have alternate ways of holding it.
Now the finish is a bit of stain to accent an otherwise "not exotic" wood species,,and my usual finish and the rest? Well I couldn't resist, so I used actual 23 K gold.
Hey, it's mine, I can do what I want , and since I have it on hand, why not?
Like I said, it may not appeal to many, but I have other ideas in mind and I needed a place to start.
Now all I have to do is add water and watch it bloom.

Mark

Attachments

• $IMG_7273.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 344
Thank you guys, I appreciate it.
But I think I goofed up somehow.
I didn't intend for this thread to be in brush wars. I was aiming for the general discussions. OOPS!

Mark, your technique and designs are unique. A reference to Simpson's classic Tulip, but something much more ornate and complex. What first came to mind was a wooden candlestick from a baroque cathedral! Congratulations and well done.

That is very nice, when u want it taken of your hand$ let me know? What the knots diameter by the way?

As always you gentlemen are more than gracious. Thank you.
The knot is currently planned as a 22mm Silver tip. I've been hesitating to secure it as I hold out hope that some UK's will come back on the market. I've used some and love them. Then too there are the UK Supers,, very nice as well.
Once the glue hits,, I'm committed.
Then too, I can always use it as a candlestick until I make up my mind! LOL..
It is a bit unusual isn't it? But as I said,, it's a place to start.

And here I am with an extra 22mm knot from the Golden Nib just waiting for a new home. I absolutely love that handle. When you get it just like you want it and set it aside for another project, let me know. All I need is the beautiful pot; would be more than happy to plant the knot.

Well that's my problem. For my own pieces I can never decide. I have plenty of knots around here, I just can't commit.
And as a "pot" goes, I'm now considering if it needs its own stand and matching bowl to bring it in line with my other carved pieces. I think it does.
See,, that's why the shoemakers kids never have shoes. It's not a matter of not having time, it's a matter of deciding what he wants to have when anything is possible.

Making stuff for others is easy, they place an order,, he fills it.
That's why I have few carvings in my home being a wood carver. What do I want to live with without thinking,, I could have done this,, or added that, why did I do it that way?
Ah, the curse of a vivid imagination. Guess I just have to make 'em all.

It's a fine brush mycarver! :thumbup: As you say maybe not for everyone, but I can't see too many not liking it or even wanting it themselves!

Top Bottom