What's new

A trip to Traveler Barbershop (Holy Black Content)

Today I took a trip to downtown San Antonio, Texas for my first traditional barbershop experience. :thumbsup:

With a twist....

traveler1.jpg

Yep, it's a converted Airstream travel trailer.

I was geeking out about the trailer, but it only got better from there. Upon being seated, I was offered a complimentary water, beer, or whiskey. I went with Michter's Rye.

traveler3.jpg

We discussed how I wanted my haircut and talked about the trailer a little while I enjoyed my drink and then got on with business.

traveler2.jpg

First a shampoo, then the cut was underway. (Which by the way I'm very happy with) While the cut was happening, we talked about whiskey, shave software, straights, shavettes, and DE razors, and come to find out we went to the same high school, albeit not at the same time. After the cut, a Holy Black shavette was produced and the latherizer pumped out some warm Holy Black lather. To heck with the proprietary foam goo.. this machine was loaded with the good stuff! He shaved my neck and edged my hairline before we went back to the sink to rinse out the loose clippings. (He does offer full shavette shaves as well) Next, a steaming towel was applied to my face and I was reclined. I could've fallen asleep within a minute it was so relaxing. After that, he dried and styled my hair and talked turned to pomades. Apropos.

After I was done, I had to check out his stock to make sure there wasn't anything I'd missed from THB. I already have every product that was there except the moisturizer lotion so he PIF'd one to me. :001_smile Gunpowder Spice scent - hey, winter is coming, I appreciate it!

traveler4.jpg

Not only did I enjoy the trip and get a great haircut, I actually had a fun time. Looking forward to visiting Traveler Barbershop and Chuck in the future.

Oh, and see below for thumbnails of a really cool handmade leather and expedition goods shop located on the same lot. Some very nice stuff inside that one. Only bought a decal for the back of my Jeep this time to help support local artisans, but I plan on going back later.

Attachments

• outland1.jpg
    outland1.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 30
  • outland2.jpg
    outland2.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 30
  • outland3.jpg
    outland3.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Outstanding stuff! If I am ever near San Antonio I will definitely be checking this place out. Terrific story, brother.

WOW! What a unique experience! Like Jim above...I'll have to visit if ever in San Antonio! @-EdG you should add Traveler to the list of barbers and to shaving supplies in that area in the shave wiki!

Outstanding stuff! If I am ever near San Antonio I will definitely be checking this place out. Terrific story, brother.

Thought you'd dig it! :thumbup1:

WOW! What a unique experience! Like Jim above...I'll have to visit if ever in San Antonio! @-EdG you should add Traveler to the list of barbers and to shaving supplies in that area in the shave wiki!

I went ahead and did just that and included links for his site and this thread. I wasn't aware that directory existed, so thanks for the suggestion. :thumbup:

Amazing and so different. Thanks for sharing
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I was too excited about it not to share! :thumbsup:

Now that is a shave and cut experience! One question, in the initial photo of the Airstream exterior, is that a doggy/cat door next to the “human” entrance?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Very cool write up. I love the looks of Airstreams- they are the epitome of the 50s, where they tried to give everything (including toasters) a streamlined look.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Very cool and great photos. That rv is gleaming. I'm going to try the holy black soap and as today. Hope I like it. The smell out if the bottle isn't totally grabbing me...

Very cool and great photos. That rv is gleaming. I'm going to try the holy black soap and as today. Hope I like it. The smell out if the bottle isn't totally grabbing me...

Hope you find it to your liking. What scent did you go with? I just received their newest yesterday, Mountain Man, but haven't had a chance to try it as of yet.

I've booked with Chuck for a return visit to the Airstream next week. Getting a haircut and straight shave to boot. I think I'll ask him to use the new Holy Black cream, as I've not tried that one yet.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I was thinking at least $50. I'd pay that for the experience and a good cut. Looks cool and fun.

Probably just do it once though.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Hope you find it to your liking. What scent did you go with? I just received their newest yesterday, Mountain Man, but haven't had a chance to try it as of yet.

I've booked with Chuck for a return visit to the Airstream next week. Getting a haircut and straight shave to boot. I think I'll ask him to use the new Holy Black cream, as I've not tried that one yet.
Gunpowder spice. I over apply as. Initially it reminded me of tabac. Which I don't like and never let out of the bottle. So that gave me pause but as it dried down it grew on me. Otherwise grey face feel and burn. The soap was great. Hair pomade was awesome.

Great experience with your rv barber. Do you tip? My long time barber passed away and I bounced around and ended up going to the woman who does my kids. Fine cut but boring. Lol

I am gonna pay $25 today for a haircut, but it will be boring. No Airstream, no drink. Think strip mall and conversation about the weather. I guess I could post photos. Nah. :)

Top Bottom