What's new

A Trick I Learned From Dean Martin's Son

A few years ago, I interviewed Dean Martin's son, Ricci. (From Dean's second marriage to Jeanne Biegger.)

At the time, he was promoting his dad's biography.

We got on the topic of colognes and he mentioned that his dad wore Woodhue by Faberge, which is no longer made. (Besides Dean, Cary Grant was the only other celeb that wore that cologne and invested in the company. Apparently when he died in '86, they stopped making it.)

Anyway, Ricci said he always tried to smell like his dad, but just couldn't get it right. That's when Dean told him the secret: Put a couple of drops of water in your hands with the cologne or put it on while you're still wet from the shower.

Maybe this trick is not a secret to a lot of you, but I had never tried it. Since then, I have done it with various colognes and it definitely alters the way the cologne smells. (I still can't match, exactly, the way Old Spice smells on my dad, but I'm getting closer.)

Nice story: My face is always wet when I apply my after-shaves. I never dry my face with a towel (avoid the irritation). I agree with your assessment that a little water alters the smell.

This trick is as old as the hills. It's been mentioned many times on "other" forums by older members who are "in the know". It probably fell out of favor because the generation that either came from the Depression Era or was the direct descendant of that generation died out. Plus that Depression is well over.

What Dean did was essentially to turn the cologne into an aftershave. That's all. Naturally it extended the life of the bottle which was probably the original intent. This method, probably because it is imprecise, alters the scent making it somewhat weaker yet still different from any available aftershave version.

If you try it you will most likely get varying results at first. If you stick with it you'll get pretty consistent results over time.

And although Dean probably could afford to use his scent straight he cut it like that to match what most people around him did. In the old days, I am told, people's scent was not overwhelming but merely a wisp you might catch in their wake. What a difference from today, eh?

Chris

This trick is as old as the hills. It's been mentioned many times on "other" forums by older members who are "in the know". It probably fell out of favor because the generation that either came from the Depression Era or was the direct descendant of that generation died out. Plus that Depression is well over.

What Dean did was essentially to turn the cologne into an aftershave. That's all. Naturally it extended the life of the bottle which was probably the original intent. This method, probably because it is imprecise, alters the scent making it somewhat weaker yet still different from any available aftershave version.

If you try it you will most likely get varying results at first. If you stick with it you'll get pretty consistent results over time.

And although Dean probably could afford to use his scent straight he cut it like that to match what most people around him did. In the old days, I am told, people's scent was not overwhelming but merely a wisp you might catch in their wake. What a difference from today, eh?

Chris

As I remember Dean senior came from humble beginnings (Steubenville Ohio) he wasn't born with a silver spoon in his mouth.

Another company is selling Woodhue - and it's not exactly cheap. The description sounds like it's up my alley. And if Martin and Grant wore it...

Hay.............thanks for sharing that I never knew that............{ side note. I once saw dean driving around in his custom golf cart when I was working near La Costa. )

Over a year ago my wife mentioned that she would like to find a couple of the old Faberge fragrances - Tigress and Woodhue, specifically. I succeeded with the Woodhue through this seller: http://fabergecolognes.com/woodhue.htm. His site explains about him and the products he has available. Just looked at it now, and while he does not have any Woodhue for Men (save an emptied bottle), he does have some other items. Thought I would pass this info along in case someone wants to look.

Another company is selling Woodhue - and it's not exactly cheap. The description sounds like it's up my alley. And if Martin and Grant wore it...

I just found it online as well. I may have to ask for a bottle for Father's Day. Let's hope my wife has forgotten that I already told her that my recent shipment of Clubman products (and other various shaving products) can count as my Father's Day gift.

Last edited:
I just found it online as well. I may have to ask for a bottle for Father's Day. Let's hope my wife has forgotten that I already told her that my recent shipment of Clubman products (and other various shaving products) can count as my Father's Day gift.

​Fat chance on that ETay.............but maybe she well let you slide sense your such a nice guy.......:001_rolle

I remember when Dean's oldest son died in an F4 crash, for a second I thought you meant you had interviewed him (that would have been more than a few years ago though).

I have a full bottle of Nautica cologne, which is also out of production. I probably got it for Father's Day decades ago and just never used it. I notice even copycat versions are quite expensive. ;-)

A few years ago, I interviewed Dean Martin's son, Ricci. (From Dean's second marriage to Jeanne Biegger.)

At the time, he was promoting his dad's biography.

We got on the topic of colognes and he mentioned that his dad wore Woodhue by Faberge, which is no longer made. (Besides Dean, Cary Grant was the only other celeb that wore that cologne and invested in the company. Apparently when he died in '86, they stopped making it.)

Anyway, Ricci said he always tried to smell like his dad, but just couldn't get it right. That's when Dean told him the secret: Put a couple of drops of water in your hands with the cologne or put it on while you're still wet from the shower.

Maybe this trick is not a secret to a lot of you, but I had never tried it. Since then, I have done it with various colognes and it definitely alters the way the cologne smells. (I still can't match, exactly, the way Old Spice smells on my dad, but I'm getting closer.)

Hey pallies, likes thanks ever so much Mr.Eric for sharin' this delightful Dino-tale of cool. Never was,never will be anyone as cool as the King of Cool....oh,to return to the days when Dino walked the earth. Know that your post is bein' shared with all the pallies gathered 'round ilovedinomartin.

Top Bottom