What's new

A totally ludicrous thought (but maybe a thought shared by some of you !)

Maybe a wee bit of contrarianism. Or maybe me being obtuse.

Loosening the handle by a quarter turn can change the characteristics of the tool. So "Doesn't make a difference," from one tool to the next doesn't resonate to me even with one tool compared to itself.

My skin is whatever is the opposite of sensitive, so I can produce the desired result working nearly any direction, anywhere on my face, however poorly it has been prepared. But everything makes a difference.

I can use and enjoy Nacets, say, in everything, but they are not my preferred blade in everything. Thus, blade holder must matter.

At the beginning of the day it comes down to prep, a great blade, a trustworthy razor you are comfortable and experienced with, and excellent technique.

Not a ludicrous opinion at all. In the last four days, I've had two shaves with my RR Hawk, one with my Wilkinson Sword Classic, and one with a Gillette Guard. I'm sadly out of practice with non-cartridge razors which gave me a touch of razor burn, but as far as hair removal went, all the razors did the job very well.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I think some of this depends on one's goals. Some people want one razor to rule them all.. a unicorn or goldilocks razor. Others want a rotation of razors that all work well for them.

I fall into the latter category. I would like to end up with a small collection of razors with which I'm comfortable. They don't all have to shave exactly the same way. In other words, I sort of like the small adjustments I have to make to get them to sing. I like the different sounds they make as I shave. I would like them to provide shaves that last at least 10 hours.. but preferably 12. That is sort of ironic because I shave in the late afternoons so I'm seldom awake at the 12 hour mark, but I like going to bed with a smooth face.

I don't have the years some of you have put in. Since I'm almost 70, that won't happen for me. But for the rest of my days, I intend to enjoy razors that are comfortable, relaxing and a pleasure to use.

Blades? I have a few different ones on hand and truth be told, so far, the few DE blades I've used have all worked well for me, perhaps because I'm using the favorites of you long term shavers here. I found more variation in my shaves with the AC blades I've tried, truth be told... far more than the DE's.

Experience and shaving techniques? I'm at the very beginning. That said, I've only two bad shaves: my very first shave with a DE razor and one with a very nice British Flat Bottom Tech using a Kai blade. That's it... all the rest, while not perfect, esp. in the beginning, were fun and enjoyable. A few razors stand out at the moment... razors I just love to use and will always use unless something dramatic happens to me. I only have one puzzling razor at present but I'll figure it out, most likely.

I am guessing that as I use the other 8 razors I have in the queue, I'll have one or two bad shaves but who knows?

I agree with the original post to a point. Once you get a routine down, after several years it doesn't matter. I'm retired and before we sold our house and downsized to an apartment, I had a routine of shaving every other day for 11 years. Once I had zeroed in on my favorites, I could mix and match DEs, blades and soaps. Since moving, I no longer have a routine, or enjoy it as much. It's become a chore, and find myself shaving every 7-10 days. I've had to move to a more aggressive DE and blade.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I agree with the original post to a point. Once you get a routine down, after several years it doesn't matter. I'm retired and before we sold our house and downsized to an apartment, I had a routine of shaving every other day for 11 years. Once I had zeroed in on my favorites, I could mix and match DEs, blades and soaps. Since moving, I no longer have a routine, or enjoy it as much. It's become a chore, and find myself shaving every 7-10 days. I've had to move to a more aggressive DE and blade.
I've been having the same problem since I retired 3 years ago.

~doug~

Life, I'm not quite certain of this, so I'll say apparently, is a relentless series of humiliations.

Which is to say, there's good news-- it happens everyday. Think how preferable than if it were a series of relentless humiliations.

If you are shaving once a week, a SR is a better tool. You'll have to start shaving daily to learn how to properly wield it. If all that is a numbing an awful chore, well, good. Did somebody tell you this was going to be easy?

Anyway. I kid. Have a great weekend and perhaps give thanks in the week that comes.

I have been enjoying our traditional wet shaving hobby for over six years now, and like many of you fine gents, have experienced a
tremendous variety of hardware (razors, blades, and brushes) and software (soaps, creams, A/S splashes, and balms.) I have just
come to a surprising, yet albeit not all that unexpected, conclusion about my razors. I am extremely lucky to be currently enjoying
a lovely rotation of seven razors --- two "vintage" (Gillette SuperSpeed RedTip 1955 A-2 and Gillette FatBoy 1959 E-2) and five
"modern" (RazoRock SS Lupo .72, RazoRock SS Hawk v.3, Rockwell 6C, Timeless Bronze SB, and Timeless Aluminum) --- and they
are all wonderful. But here's the ludicrous thought ..... with my six year refined technique (which is pretty well honed to perfection)
and a Gillette Nacet blade in all the razors (my favorite blade after trying many), I have come to the conclusion that the specific
razor really doesn't make a difference !
I am achieving the same sweet smooth sublime three pass BBS result with all my razors !
I am getting equally great shaves with all seven razors, and I am extremely happy with all of them. Am I nuts ? A little crazy ?
Is this really a ludicrous thought ? Or do any of you fine gentlemen agree that your experience with your razors is the same ?
You are not nuts but you haven't tried enough razors yet. I have found a few that are distinctly more aggressive and there is a big difference with some. This clear one is about the most aggressive I have ever tried. Dangerous if handled without great care.
100_5272.JPG
100_5273.JPG
100_5274.JPG

Top Bottom