What's new

A ton of difference between Muhle R89 and R41?

I really enjoy my EJDE89L and am looking for something similar with maybe a tad more "bite". The R89 heads looks to be extremely similar to the DE89 so I am wondering if the modified open comb-like R41 is more aggressive or just "different".

The new R41 is pretty much in a class by itself in regards to aggressiveness. If you want a tad more bite without kissing a chainsaw (R41) - maybe a Gillette Old would be in order or even a Gillette New OC. I find my Gillette Old (1910 model 102) to be a good balance of aggressiveness. My R41 on the other hand, takes a good bit of finesse (which is actually fun in itself).

Something to think about - a Gem Open Comb Micromatic (SE) is also a great razor with a fair amount of aggressiveness. Blades are easy enough to come by as well - and going to an OCMM single edge (quite a bit stiffer blade than a DE) will provide you both aggression and "different" and do it rather cheaply.

R41 is a nice razor but like the Feather AS-D1 it takes a lot of skill to get a close (uneventful) shave.

If you are looking for something "different" from your DE89 grab a slant

proxy.php

The R41 really shows how much blade exposure effects the shave. It may look like a similar head design as far as curvature goes, but it really is all blade on face (and the curvature is a bit misleading as well). In my opinion, the Merkur 11C is very similar to the Muhle R89 or EJ DE 89 with an open comb providing a bit more "bite"...but not too much. I love my R41...but it's a bit more than just a little bite.

Last edited:
The new R41 is pretty much in a class by itself in regards to aggressiveness. If you want a tad more bite without kissing a chainsaw (R41) - maybe a Gillette Old would be in order or even a Gillette New OC. I find my Gillette Old (1910 model 102) to be a good balance of aggressiveness. My R41 on the other hand, takes a good bit of finesse (which is actually fun in itself).

Something to think about - a Gem Open Comb Micromatic (SE) is also a great razor with a fair amount of aggressiveness. Blades are easy enough to come by as well - and going to an OCMM single edge (quite a bit stiffer blade than a DE) will provide you both aggression and "different" and do it rather cheaply.

+1

I have a Gillette OC New, 1912, Micromatic and don't find them all that aggressive. Not necessarily looking to draw blood but rather skip the 4th pass...

Go slow, concentrate, you'll be fine with an R41.

There may be a tendency to get complacent and POW, it will bite.

So remember to concentrate, there is no guard between you and the blade like an 89 head.

+1. I have the R89, R41, and 37C slant. The R89 is too mild. The R41 is too aggressive. The 37C is smooooooth. My best razor so far. Well weighted and balanced. It does take a while to get the hang of the blade angle as it seems to have a narrow range- too shallow and it wont cut, too steep and it also wont cut. Its actually very mild but very effective and I get minimal burn or nicks. Paired with a Feather- smooth.... and the blades last longer.

R41 is a nice razor but like the Feather AS-D1 it takes a lot of skill to get a close (uneventful) shave.

If you are looking for something "different" from your DE89 grab a slant

proxy.php

Hello gentlemen,

I just started DE-shaving six months ago and it was my purpose to find a daily razor, that gives me a mild and irritationless shave.
I have been shaving since 18 years now and tried everything from Gillette to E-shavers, but even with the E-shavers I had to stay
with a minimum of shaving every second day. However, since having tested the Progress 510, the Feather AS, the PILS 101 and the
Muehle R89 Grande, belief it or not, at least the Muehle R41 Grande is giving me the best and mildest shaves since 6 weeks now!
For me it really depends just on the angle you are using with the R41 on the different parts of your face. Since 4 weeks i use, thanks
to a B&B-Thread, a combination of shallow and steep angle in combination with the Astra SP-DE and it is the first time of my life, that
I'm able to shave my face daily! So, after a 2-weeks learning curve I finally reached my purpose and got healed from my RAD!

Greetings

adventures in shaving:
i have an old merkur classic I inhererited. shaves rather well. my first so.....
but I enjoy it. helped me find my blade. I ordered a DE89 in barley chrome hoping to get a tad bit more weight now that I'm comfortable with the art. (has yet to arrive).
Hopefully I enjoy it as I want to PIF the old razor to my dad who's thinking of going back to DE shaving after seeing my close shaves at church on Sundays (when we get together), even the priest commented on my smoother shaves, lol!. "well the good Lord knows how to guide this hand, father. If you see me bleeding in the front pew, don;t worry, the devil ain't in me, it's just a hangover shave. " lol!

I came from the Merkur HD (similar to DE89) and went straight to the R41. The R41 will reduce your number of passes by 1 and it will also get rid of whiskers you didnt even know existed (yep, it's true). Go for it and buy it right now. shaving.ie has it for $30 shipped to US.

The R41 has saved me from RAD. There is seriously nothing to be afraid about. It's a wonderful razor and I am sure you will appreciate it.

I came from the Merkur HD (similar to DE89) and went straight to the R41. The R41 will reduce your number of passes by 1 and it will also get rid of whiskers you didnt even know existed (yep, it's true). Go for it and buy it right now. shaving.ie has it for $30 shipped to US.

The R41 has saved me from RAD. There is seriously nothing to be afraid about. It's a wonderful razor and I am sure you will appreciate it.

+1

I am also thinking of giving the 41 a try. I have the long handle Progress and my other razor was long handle 23C... deliberating between getting the standard R41 or the grande.

I really enjoy my EJDE89L and am looking for something similar with maybe a tad more "bite". The R89 heads looks to be extremely similar to the DE89 so I am wondering if the modified open comb-like R41 is more aggressive or just "different".

Forget the R41 2011 model; you won't care for it if you love the DE89L. The R89 is alleged to be identical to the DE89 so there may be no difference. For more "bite" I would go with a Fatip Grande, or Gillette Red Tip, Gillette New Tech Long Comb, or any of the Gillette adjustables. The adjustables will allow you to tailor the bite to your preference.

Forget the R41 2011 model; you won't care for it if you love the DE89L. The R89 is alleged to be identical to the DE89 so there may be no difference. For more "bite" I would go with a Fatip Grande, or Gillette Red Tip, Gillette New Tech Long Comb, or any of the Gillette adjustables. The adjustables will allow you to tailor the bite to your preference.

I have a mint Fatboy & just sold a slim. What I do like about the 89 is the slender head for under the nose, etc.. That is why I looked at the 41. If I don't care for it then to the BST it is!

Top Bottom