What's new

A ton of difference between Muhle R89 and R41?

I am also thinking of giving the 41 a try. I have the long handle Progress and my other razor was long handle 23C... deliberating between getting the standard R41 or the grande.

From reading the entire combined R41 thread, it appears many went with the standard to begin with and found it performed better with an aftermarket, heavier handle. This is why Muhle came out with the Grande. If you have another typical modern DE, ie Muhle, Edwin Jagger or even some vintage Gillettes, those threads are the same. What do I mean? I'd go with the Grande for a larger option and if you don't like it you should be able to use one of your other handles on it. If you do like it, you may find your other razors work better with the Grande handle as well. Options are good! My $.02.

BTW, I ordered the Grande. I'd also encourage to read through that R41 combined thread...lots of knowledge and experience to learn from.

Once you get the hang of the R41 you will likely discover:

1. R41 is much more gentle on the skin when the shave is done than most razors.
  2. If the blade to skin angle is steep, R41 works well but you'll dull blades faster.
  3. If the blade to skin angle is shallow, you may get a rare inexplicable weeper from time to time but blades will last longer.
  4. Certain slick creams like KMF Key Lime will move higher in the rotation with the R41, even perhaps above Cella. (heresy, I know)
  5. Same with soaps, slicker is better.
  6. Stiffer less flexible blades like the Dorco ST300 even though they're not extremely sharp will knock out pleasurable DFS-to-BBS R41 shaves day after day in one shave per blade mode.
  7. Your sharpest smoothest blades will give you a BBS+++, perhaps the best shaves ever, but too many of those in a row and if you might get ingrown hairs on your neck.
  8. A two pass R41 shave in a rush may end up your fastest BBS shave of any razor, multi or single blade.
  9. A one pass R41 may become your fastest DFS+ shave ever.

2. If the blade to skin angle is steep, R41 works well but you'll dull blades faster.
  3. If the blade to skin angle is shallow, you may get a rare inexplicable weeper from time to time but blades will last longer.
  4. Certain slick creams like KMF Key Lime will move higher in the rotation with the R41, even perhaps above Cella. (heresy, I know)
  6. Stiffer less flexible blades like the Dorco ST300 even though they're not extremely sharp will knock out pleasurable DFS-to-BBS R41 shaves day after day in one shave per blade mode.
  7. Your sharpest smoothest blades will give you a BBS+++, perhaps the best shaves ever, but too many of those in a row and if you might get ingrown hairs on your neck.
  8. A two pass R41 shave in a rush may end up your fastest BBS shave of any razor, multi or single blade.

+9

I find the Tradere OC to be more aggressive than the 89. It might depend on how much more aggressive you're looking for.

I am expecting one in the mail any minute now. I am only 8 days into DE shaving with my 34c, so I think I should master that first before moving to the R41, but I have a tough beard and sensitive skin, so I may give it a whirl when it comes in.

+1,000 I have found that the R41 has changed the rules of the game for me. I'm finding that the more mild blades like the Dorco ST-300 gives me fantastic shaves and, so far I've gotten the most shaves out of a Dorco than any other blade.

Chris

I really enjoy my EJDE89L and am looking for something similar with maybe a tad more "bite". The R89 heads looks to be extremely similar to the DE89 so I am wondering if the modified open comb-like R41 is more aggressive or just "different".
As a guy who has both the r89 and the r41 I can tell you from experience the r41 is not "just different". It has a hell of a lot more bite. It changes the rules :) I'm getting the best shaves I've ever had with the r41, whereas with the r89 I just couldn't get a constant bbs, and in trying to do so I kept irritating my neck, sometimes not so bad, sometimes bad.

Chris

Top Bottom