What's new

A Tobacco Blending Odyssey.

So, fueled by some discussion over booze & bowls with @jiminyshiznit at the Las Vegas pipe show last weekend, I have been overcome by a sudden mad scientist urge to try my hand at tobacco blending. Fooling around at smokingpipes last night, I somehow ended up with a hefty amount of blending tobacco in my cart, which is on its way to me as I type.

I have a couple solid ideas (at least they sound solid in my head right now) as to what I want to try to produce. My plan is to dial in the ratios I want, put a pile together, then stash it in the bottom of the chest until next year's pipe show. Document the whole thing here, of course. :001_rolle

"Damn the torpedoes...full speed ahead!" - ADM D.G. Farragut, USN

Looking for a retirement plan? :biggrin1:

$thrad.jpg

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
then stash it in the bottom of the chest until next year's pipe show.

I approve of this plan and I'm looking forward to watching!

Seriously, for anyone who thought smoking a pipe would save you money, wait until you see how much you can save by blending your own tobacco. ;)

I know it's foolish, and I will probably produce a pile of hot garbage, but what I'm shooting for can't go too far wrong, and will someday (perhaps 10 years from now, but someday) at least be smokeable.

Hirsute

Maybe, but if it's foolish its the good kind of foolish we support and reward around here. And I think it's a good exercise. I know some older guys whose regular smoke is "brand x plus a blending component". Over they years they've figured out what they like and what different tobaccos will do, so they just take something they like and push it in a slightly different direction with a little something extra. Sounds cool to me.

Maybe, but if it's foolish its the good kind of foolish we support and reward around here. And I think it's a good exercise. I know some older guys whose regular smoke is "brand x plus a blending component". Over they years they've figured out what they like and what different tobaccos will do, so they just take something they like and push it in a slightly different direction with a little something extra. Sounds cool to me.
I ordered heavy on granulated perique with just that thought in mind. :thumbup1:

Hirsute

Awesome. That's right up my alley too and I like where this is heading.

You should ask Mat about making perique "tea".

I eventually want to try it. Then again... I still have two pipe kits that haven't been carved in over a year.
Stop it! Stop! I will be forced to realize the foolishness upon which I am embarking.
(And admit that I also have two pipe kits in my garage: one untouched and one half a disaster.)

So, fueled by some discussion over booze & bowls with @jiminyshiznit at the Las Vegas pipe show last weekend, I have been overcome by a sudden mad scientist urge to try my hand at tobacco blending. Fooling around at smokingpipes last night, I somehow ended up with a hefty amount of blending tobacco in my cart, which is on its way to me as I type.

I have a couple solid ideas (at least they sound solid in my head right now) as to what I want to try to produce. My plan is to dial in the ratios I want, put a pile together, then stash it in the bottom of the chest until next year's pipe show. Document the whole thing here, of course. :001_rolle

"Damn the torpedoes...full speed ahead!" - ADM D.G. Farragut, USN

Sweet! It's going to be fun following this thread.. and I'm definitely looking forward to trying some of your mad science in Vegas next year.

If everything works out right (or at least reasonably close) it should have about 10 months in the jar prior to Vegas. I'll bring enough for everyone who's going to have a go at it, but most of it is going to sit in the bottom of the chest for a few years.

I've already started doing a bit of research. Utilizing the "Steve Books method" I learned in that same conversation, I've been dissecting a couple small samples of blends that I like, just to get an idea of where I want to start off. I do have a fairly specific end product in mind, which I'll discuss later (especially if it looks as though it might work).

Good luck with this Price. Looks as if custom blending is becoming more popular. I guess it's the natural extension of the hobby. Maybe we could have a custom blend sticky at one point. (Hint, hint moderators.):001_smile

I know it's foolish, and I will probably produce a pile of hot garbage, but what I'm shooting for can't go too far wrong, and will someday (perhaps 10 years from now, but someday) at least be smokeable.

Do it. Don't worry about the potential for hot garbage.

I've dabbled in mixing, but lately I've been mixing and pressing (DIY press from C-clamps and soup cans). First batch was delicious. Second batch...well the jury's still out but I think it's a loss. No worries. The third batch is spending a lot longer in the press and I think it will be great.

I've done some blending as well. 2 blends are happily the best sellers at my local tobacconist. It's a fun hobby to blend.

Do it. Don't worry about the potential for hot garbage.

I've dabbled in mixing, but lately I've been mixing and pressing (DIY press from C-clamps and soup cans). First batch was delicious. Second batch...well the jury's still out but I think it's a loss. No worries. The third batch is spending a lot longer in the press and I think it will be great.
Oh yes, a press is definitely in my plans. I tend to gravitate toward flakes anyway, and I have a thing for plugs, so if I'm going to do this (I've already bought the tobacco, so...) I'm going to press it.

More on that later...

I really don't see any downside to DIY blending, besides the short term financial investment. No matter the outcome, you've learned something else. Like Edison said, “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.”

I'm looking forward to what new flake/cake you end up creating.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Straight perique for me.

But that's me, Mr. Vegas.

Blending isn't as easy as it would appear. A light hand is required.

Top Bottom