What's new

A Tobacco Blending Odyssey.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
All in all...not too bad. The first two batches were kinda rough around the edges at first, and i remember thinking they would benefit from a year or two in the jar. That seems to have been the case. 4 1/2 years later, it's actually a decent smoke. Not mind-blowing or anything, but it paired very well with my coffee.

I also started rooting around in the jars of blending tobacco after the herf on Wednesday, and remembered i still have quite a bit on hand. I still have a few days of quarantine left, so i might dig out one of the presses and have another go at it.
Time for more Captain Packer’s Black Death. :)

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
Well, I pulled plug #2 out of the mold. For this plug, I used up the rest of the tobacco samples from Leaf Only. I’d say it was a total of about 6-7oz worth that was remaining. The casing/binder used was similar to the first one (rum based) with a little more vanilla extract in the liquid. I used the same spray bottle to spritz the liquid onto the cut tobacco, mixed it by hand and pressed it into the mold. I kept it under pressure for about 12 days and the results were a little better in both appearance and initial scent. It was still equally as dense and I could catch both the tobacco scent and the casing scent. It’s in a jar right now and will stay there for quite sometime. The first plug I did has relaxed quite a bit and had expanded. There is still a figgy/prune scent with that one. I am hoping to cut into the first one around Memorial Day. I’ll probably cut into plug #2 on Father’s Day to compare.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Well, I pulled plug #2 out of the mold. For this plug, I used up the rest of the tobacco samples from Leaf Only. I’d say it was a total of about 6-7oz worth that was remaining. The casing/binder used was similar to the first one (rum based) with a little more vanilla extract in the liquid. I used the same spray bottle to spritz the liquid onto the cut tobacco, mixed it by hand and pressed it into the mold. I kept it under pressure for about 12 days and the results were a little better in both appearance and initial scent. It was still equally as dense and I could catch both the tobacco scent and the casing scent. It’s in a jar right now and will stay there for quite sometime. The first plug I did has relaxed quite a bit and had expanded. There is still a figgy/prune scent with that one. I am hoping to cut into the first one around Memorial Day. I’ll probably cut into plug #2 on Father’s Day to compare.
Excited to hear your results!

seabee1999

Excited to hear your results!

Many thanks! For the next go round, I’ll try to do a Va/Per. I liked the convenience and cost of whole leaf samples from Leaf Only. I’ll probably go with the same Virginia samples I had earlier and add the Perique one. A 1/4oz sample was like $17 or so. However, I will buy the hand crank shredder this time too. Although the scissors worked they were not efficient.

Last edited:

seabee1999

Well I smoked plug #1. My first impression is that it needs time for things to come together better and possibly mellow out. Due to the inconsistency of of my initial cutting of the leaves, it was difficult to get a decent draw. However, once I got past the halfway point, it smoked much better and I could pick up some nuances of the tobacco and rum casing. It definitely smokes more like a cigar than say the aromatics I’m used to so I’ll have to smoke it a little slower. The nic-hit got to me towards the end pretty good. Aside from that, I hope to revisit this next year and see where it stands then. I do feel it has promise to be something good.

7A3BE2EE-DEC5-4942-89B5-513D329C2865.jpeg

brandaves

Well I smoked plug #1. My first impression is that it needs time for things to come together better and possibly mellow out. Due to the inconsistency of of my initial cutting of the leaves, it was difficult to get a decent draw. However, once I got past the halfway point, it smoked much better and I could pick up some nuances of the tobacco and rum casing. It definitely smokes more like a cigar than say the aromatics I’m used to so I’ll have to smoke it a little slower. The nic-hit got to me towards the end pretty good. Aside from that, I hope to revisit this next year and see where it stands then. I do feel it has promise to be something good.

View attachment 1098403
Sounds promising. Those are pretty good results I'd say. I'm betting a year in the jar will really meld some flavors and provide a great smoke.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Has anyone tried this from Whole Leaf Tobacco, or any of their other blending packages?

1589293100585.png

"This whole leaf tobacco blend is comparable to classic premium American style tobacco brands. Hand selected whole tobacco leaves, it has the strongest flavor of all our blends.

Each package contains one bottle of casing #1 for the Flue Cured tobacco and one bottle of casing #2 for Air Cured tobacco. Please use the casings separately and then blend the tobaccos together. Casing is a mixture of FDA approved food grade ingredients used to correct the raw aspects of the tobacco. These casings citrus based and chocolate based."

brandaves

Has anyone tried this from Whole Leaf Tobacco, or any of their other blending packages?

View attachment 1099005

"This whole leaf tobacco blend is comparable to classic premium American style tobacco brands. Hand selected whole tobacco leaves, it has the strongest flavor of all our blends.

Each package contains one bottle of casing #1 for the Flue Cured tobacco and one bottle of casing #2 for Air Cured tobacco. Please use the casings separately and then blend the tobaccos together. Casing is a mixture of FDA approved food grade ingredients used to correct the raw aspects of the tobacco. These casings citrus based and chocolate based."
That looks interesting. Can't be beat for a $22 initial investment into blending. That may be where I start out...Thanks Mike!

seabee1999

View attachment 1099005

Something for me to consider for a future blending project.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
So, fueled by some discussion over booze & bowls with @jiminyshiznit at the Las Vegas pipe show last weekend, I have been overcome by a sudden mad scientist urge to try my hand at tobacco blending. Fooling around at smokingpipes last night, I somehow ended up with a hefty amount of blending tobacco in my cart, which is on its way to me as I type.

I have a couple solid ideas (at least they sound solid in my head right now) as to what I want to try to produce. My plan is to dial in the ratios I want, put a pile together, then stash it in the bottom of the chest until next year's pipe show. Document the whole thing here, of course. :001_rolle

"Damn the torpedoes...full speed ahead!" - ADM D.G. Farragut, USN
I never really had the nerve and there are so many great blends to be had. Wonder if there are any recipe books available. Should be great fun to experiment. Start a
Thread and see if others are into it.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

View attachment 1098403
Beautiful cob!

Top Bottom