What's new

A to Z of razors

Just my thought process. Curious.

I was asked recently what my top 5 razors are in my collection. That’s a tough call to make. I listed around 10 or so and said take your pick.

But I recently went through my collection to clean it up. Also my to do pile and it struck me.

Why just Torrey Tuesday and frameback fridays?
Todays Wednesday so in the Standard Guide of razors ( if you’re new check it out) it lists around 125 manufacturers of razors starting with the letter W.
Well I’m using a Wilson ( damn fine razor,,, hear of it often?)
I also have ,
Wiss
Wolferetz
Waterville
Wester
Worcester
Winchester
Wilbert
Waldman
Wostenholm
Wadsworth.

Wanna see em’?

My point is and my interest is , where are , and who has , the other 115 razor examples?
Do you have one?
We don’t have enough days of the week starting with every letter of the alphabet.
There were thousands of manufacturers.
Why not post, naturally starting with A , any razor you have? The guide lists around 40. Can we come close?

A , in two weeks b, two weeks c. In a year the entire alphabet.

H’s ,,, it lists 175 manufacturers . How many do we have?

But the thing is. Just post the razor to show that it still exists. No fussy SOTD or piles on piles of lather on a blade or some
Other nonsense .
No.
If it’s a rust bucket and looks like cr*p I wouldn’t care.
Show us it still exists. Somebody at some time made it. Give testimony to their efforts .
I have quite a few that aren’t in the book.

A couple from Russia. So many “ Blue Steels”
Manganese steel, magnetic steel, diamondine , finest ground silver steel.
The list is endless .
Interested in starting our own?
Could be fun and enlightening.
And I’ll bet the darn things can still shave a face even if you never heard of it and it equals the “name brand” blades. I’m sure. Mine do it all the time.

And again. If it’s in your “to do”
Pile don’t give it a second thought if it looks skanky. That’s the plan. Good , bad , indifferent.
Post it. No critiques allowed.
Show us razors we didn’t know exist.
Start with A?
Any interest? Or is it a waste of time.
I’d like to see
Something I don’t have.

But want! Haha.
IMG_2459.jpeg
IMG_2460.jpeg

Last edited:
Maybe you’ll just say, “ I don’t have any of those but that one looks very interesting. I’ll look for one “ let YOUR quest begin.

Or, that razor was made very near me. Or an advertising blade that’s close to home . Collect just advertising blades. Lots of em’.
Blades made in the US. Germany. England, Russia. Wherever. Find one. Use it.
Relive the past when and where you can.

I really like the ones made in my home town, advertising around it, Philadelphia, NY, Penn-Allen ( Pennsylvania
Founded by William Penn) etc.
Research them.

Your last name begins with S. Find those razors. Find one razor beginning with each letter of the alphabet. Yeah. Goofy I know. Get serious Mark.

It can be fun.
Well to me it is .
Then maybe I’m just nuts about razors.

Last edited:
Just your singular response is great. Yeah, I’m sure it is . Thanks. You gave me something to keep on my radar .
Don’t have it. Kinda need it now thanks to you!

Baba queen? What’s that all about?

Now I have to See B’s.
Let’s just get through A’s .
Next?

A is for Ator? Are you doing brands or models? Technically Ator’s are made by ERN.

View attachment 1655964
Haha.
Yes. A is for Ator. Post it again when the E’s come up. That’s fine.
No serious rules about this. Heck, if there is an A in the name go ahead and post it.

The guide lists 5 Z’s.
I have a Zep. But I think it’s a model. But the book doesn’t list either the model , or possibly brand.
I’ll show it if and when we hit the Z group.

Last edited:
Pre the earlier part of the 20th century foundries did not re-use scrap steel as they smelted steel. Hence steels prior to this period tended to be 'purer' and could take and hold a honed edge better and longer.

Just your singular response is great. Yeah, I’m sure it is . Thanks. You gave me something to keep on my radar .
Don’t have it. Kinda need it now thanks to you!

Baba queen? What’s that all about?

Now I have to See B’s.
Let’s just get through A’s .
Next?
Baba is the Japanese word for barber. The baba razor was made by PerfectWorks, associated with Tanifuji.

Baba is the Japanese word for barber. The baba razor was made by PerfectWorks, associated with Tanifuji.
One of my granddaughters first words was calling me Baba!
But in some languages it also means great or grand father.
I sometimes go to a middle eastern market and have heard kids calling this out.

• Love
Reactions: GNR
Top Bottom