What's new

A tip for cleaning your watch

Just watch the water resistance if your going to run water all over it. Also an ultra sonic is great for the bracelet but a big no no for a watch even if its a 1000m dive watch.

+1 for the bracelet cleaning. I'd be careful about throwing an automatic watch in the ultra sonic... Was talking with a local AD the other day and he mentioned it would damage the winding mechanism. YMMV

A little Ivory liquid soap and a super soft toothbrush is all I ever use. I have watches that are 10 years old which still shine like new.

Just hit mine with my razor-cleaning toothbrush and a bit of Dr. Bronners liquid peppermint soap. Worked great!

you will mess up the gaskets. the soap will get in and lubricate the gasket and allow the soapy water into the watch. Depending on what kind of watch you own will decide how ticked you get when the fog appears under the crystal. A tooth brush and luke warm water is fine but never dish soap. Here is a pic of whats on my wrist. Breitling Chrono Avenger and automatic movement and all titanium. I have a ti bracelet but also the brown calf leather strap and also a rubber diver strap

I have a Gruen Precision wind-up watch from the early 60s. While it's supposed to be water-proof I recently wore it washing dishes and got some condensation under the crystal. A few hours in the sun cleared it out, fortunately, but a local watch repair man told me that you should never rely on the supposed water-proofness of an older watch unless it's a dive watch.

I have a Gruen Precision wind-up watch from the early 60s. While it's supposed to be water-proof I recently wore it washing dishes and got some condensation under the crystal. A few hours in the sun cleared it out, fortunately, but a local watch repair man told me that you should never rely on the supposed water-proofness of an older watch unless it's a dive watch.

I wouldn't even rely on a vintage diver to be waterproof if it hasn't been serviced recently.

I'm just looking at my scratched up Swiss Army watch of 5 years and wondering how it would do with some Maas polishing. It is stainless steel on the back. Should I assume that that includes the band which appears to be the same?

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Toothpaste works well for me on all jewelry. If I had an ultrasonic cleaner I'd use that though on all but my watches. Just suspicious if the seal on the cases would hold up.

Mike

Top Bottom