What's new

A Tiny Brush Pass-Around

A Tiny brush pass around would be so awesome. What would it take to make something like that happen? What brushes would you want to see?
Knot size less than 20mm...
Boar, Badger, and Synthetic?

Wee Scot
Omega _____
Zenith _____
Others?

There are a bunch of original or re-knotted vintage brushes with smaller knot sizes. Klenzo, Rubberset etc... I feel like those will be more common than modern brushes, which keep tending towards larger knot sizes.

I am thoroughly enjoyed the Omega 11047 mixed badger and boar.
  • Total Height: 73 mm
  • Loft: 43mm
  • Knot: 20mm
  • Hair: Banded boar / Badger mix

Not just for travel, anyone who enjoys getting their fingers into the later will enjoy these relatively tiny brushes.

I wouldn't expect anyone who owns such a rarity to risk it in a tour...but someday I sure would like to try the original Wee Scot, a.k.a. the "Nano Scot."

And anybody who misspells it "Scott" is barred! :)

The small brushes seem to vary so much that having a go at a bunch of them might be a good thing. TBOC has a standard of 20mm or less, it seems, however I have always thought that the small ones are 18mm or less. I find them appealing because they use less water and soap, while producing plenty of lather for 2-3 passes...at least with ToOBS creams and even hard soaps.

The small brushes seem to vary so much that having a go at a bunch of them might be a good thing. TBOC has a standard of 20mm or less, it seems, however I have always thought that the small ones are 18mm or less. I find them appealing because they use less water and soap, while producing plenty of lather for 2-3 passes...at least with ToOBS creams and even hard soaps.
My only soap is the Van Der Hagan Deluxe I source locally. The diminutive Omega 11047 really stirs up some quality lather plus since it is mixed, you get feel of both hair and bristle. At $13 it's certainly affordable.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
A Tiny brush pass around would be so awesome. What would it take to make something like that happen? What brushes would you want to see?
Knot size less than 20mm...
Boar, Badger, and Synthetic?

Wee Scot
Omega _____
Zenith _____
Others?
I just ordered a small Omega mixed bristle/Badger. I don’t know the model # but the reviews and a member’s recommendation got my curiosity up.

I have an 11047 enroute
I just ordered a small Omega mixed bristle/Badger. I don’t know the model # but the reviews and a member’s recommendation got my curiosity up.
I hit the buy button last night too. Omega 11047 Mixed Mighty Midget?
Anyone have feedback on the Vulfix 514B "Hyde Park" or the Vulfix 2190 "Traveler" Pure Badger or even the Vulfix 2273 "Traveler" in Super Badger?

The mixed is interesting. I might try it next time. Can it hold enough lather for 3 passes?

I don't know. Holding lather for 3 passes is not important to me. I want a brush that feels good, scruffy ,and makes good quality later easily. During a shave I might alter the lather if its not performing well.

If you like boar bristles and you've never had a badger, I think you will like the combination. It performed great out of the box and had little or no odor.

I have an 11047 enroute

I hit the buy button last night too. Omega 11047 Mixed Mighty Midget?
Anyone have feedback on the Vulfix 514B "Hyde Park" or the Vulfix 2190 "Traveler" Pure Badger or even the Vulfix 2273 "Traveler" in Super Badger?
Did it arrive?

The mixed is interesting. I might try it next time. Can it hold enough lather for 3 passes?
I purchased the Omega Mixed Midget 11047 and used it for about 6 months and can attest that it will hold enough lather for 4+ passes easily, but where the brush failed for me was it never softened up as what I had read in reviews of extended use. I just couldn't take the scrubbiness that it had and for that fact I don't really care for scrubby at all... I steamed the mixed knot out of it and replaced it with a TGN 3 band synthetic knot and got what I was looking for in a small travel brush. I'd also add that it makes even more lather in less time with the TGN knot than it did previously, not to mention it dries out in just a few hours after use!!
20170202_153859-1.jpg 20170202_155159-1 (640x414).jpg

My mixed midget softened nicely. It did take time, tho.

For anyone who wants soft up front, Maggard just got a shipment of Yaqi synthetic travel brushes. $14.

If you're in the US, you could also try Burma shave boar. They should be really cheap and easily obtained. They even have bulk purchase packs.

Top Bottom