What's new

A Timeless Summer

OK. Yesterday's quick-shave yielded a definitive winner. For the test, I did a single 1-minute pass on each side, plus an additional 30 seconds of clean up (Note that I did not include the detailed trimming within my goatee for the test as I didn't want to rush through that bit of time-consuming, highly detailed cleanup that is usually pretty consistent across razors).

For both the 95 and the 68, there was minimal feedback with the alum block and at 5pm, the two sides of my face seemed pretty closely matched. As it so happens, I re-evaluated my face at midnight and noticed that the right side of my face (where I used the 68) had appreciably more stubble than the left.

For a quick 1-pass XTG shave, the win goes to the 95.

I'm also posting this morning's shave using a fresh Feather blade. I have mixed feelings about Feathers (DE and SE FHS-10). If I'm looking for a nearly perfect shave, there is nothing like a fresh Feather for me. That said, the performance of the Feather dramatically changes after the first 10 minutes of use. While shaves 2-5 are OK, they are just not the same as they are that first day. If I didn't have a huge stash of blades, I'd probably save those once-used blades and drop them in a more aggressive razor for subsequent shaves. But with a rampant case of BAD, running out of razor blades is not an issue...for me, my two sons and any grandchildren that might come along. Once and a while, I can splurge.

That all aside, the shave with the Feather this morning got a solid "A" rating. Close, smooth and comfortable. Had there been a bit less feedback on the left side, I would have added another point to the rating. I fully expect being able to go to bed tonight with a clean-shaven face. I'll provide an update after I complete my fresh feather shave with the 68:
1718804494462.png

Happy shaves and a happy Juneteenth!
--Mark

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I’m looking forward to getting my Ti Slim SD, though I’m a little bit concerned it might be too much for me.

I haven’t felt the urge to try a 0.95 in one of the base plate options, but I’m reading your tests with great interest. I’ve been so pleased with the Ti hybrid 0.68OC heads I have, it might have resolved that issue, but perhaps not. <eg>

Thanks again, Mark, for drawing my attention to the scalloped bronze caps. They will really set off the Timeless razors in style. I ordered a couple of bronze razor stands to complete the look.

I’m looking forward to getting my Ti Slim SD, though I’m a little bit concerned it might be too much for me.

I haven’t felt the urge to try a 0.95 in one of the base plate options, but I’m reading your tests with great interest. I’ve been so pleased with the Ti hybrid 0.68OC heads I have, it might have resolved that issue, but perhaps not. <eg>

Thanks again, Mark, for drawing my attention to the scalloped bronze caps. They will really set off the Timeless razors in style. I ordered a couple of bronze razor stands to complete the look.
Kim, noting that I've still got a lot of testing to do, if you already have an OC 68, the SC 95 may not be a good value purchase (at least based on the GSB testing). So far they are really similar. The 95 is a bit more efficient and a bit more aggressive, but not significantly so. Tomorrow's shave with the 68 using a fresh Feather should be telling. Today's Feather shave in the 95 was superb.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Kim, noting that I've still got a lot of testing to do, if you already have an OC 68, the SC 95 may not be a good value purchase (at least based on the GSB testing). So far they are really similar. The 95 is a bit more efficient and a bit more aggressive, but not significantly so. Tomorrow's shave with the 68 using a fresh Feather should be telling. Today's Feather shave in the 95 was superb.
Yeah, I’ve come to the same conclusion. I think the Open Comb bumps the performance of the 0.68 enough to get it a half step or so under the 0.95 SB. Or even 1/4 step…..as the SCL and OC base plates each increase the efficiency of the 0.95. I don’t think I need that says the guy who just ordered the Slim SB. lol

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I have a suggestion for @Guido75 that preserves Gruyere 2024: Ask your wife for a Timeless coupon on xmas and cash it in on January 1st. The only question is if you will get a .95 OC or .5 Slim OC plate, IMO! :)

I have a suggestion for @Guido75 that preserves Gruyere 2024: Ask your wife for a Timeless coupon on xmas and cash it in on January 1st. The only question is if you will get a .95 OC or .5 Slim OC plate, IMO! :)
I fear this would be a violation my friend. No asking or hinting is allowed. At least not from my part. She might ask herself of course out of own volition!

The past two day's evaluation was surprising and interesting. With a Day 1 feather, there was a definite advantage for the SC 95 over the OC 68! With the 95, I was able to get a near perfect shave in 8 minutes. I was able to get that same result today using the 68, but it took 11 minutes - and there was a good bit of Alum feedback.

What does this tell me about each razor's use case so far?

• For a close, smooth, drama-free daily shave (DFS ++), go with an OC 68 with a moderate blade (like the GSB)
  • For a quick DFS shave as you are running out the door, go with the SC 95
  • If you are looking for a solid BBS shave that will keep you quite presentable for 16 hours, go with the SC 95 and a really sharp blade.
That all said, I'm only a third of the way through the testing. Let's see how these use cases hold up.
1718896726223.png

Attachments

• 1718896128280.png
    1718896128280.png
    228.8 KB · Views: 6
Yeah, I’ve come to the same conclusion. I think the Open Comb bumps the performance of the 0.68 enough to get it a half step or so under the 0.95 SB. Or even 1/4 step…..as the SCL and OC base plates each increase the efficiency of the 0.95. I don’t think I need that says the guy who just ordered the Slim SB. lol
The testing with the feather in the 95 and 68 was quite telling. Not the results I expected. I figured I'd be sore from the 95 before the shave got close, but that the 68 would be near perfect. Nope.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why member of BOSC test their wares.

On today's shave, my face was a bit sore from yesterday's elongated one with the 68 OC. That said, both razors did very well with the Kai blade, though the first pass with the 95 was overly tuggy. Separately of the three blades I've used so far in this evaluation, the GSB was really great in both - an outstanding utility player. The one-and-done Feather was excellent, provided you kept the total shave time below 8 minutes (for the entire shave). The Kai usually performs well in the .95, so I am thinking the pulling this morning was an anomaly of the blade's first use.

1718977020198.png

Excellent quick shave this morning. Interestingly enough, with the Kai blade, the 68 beat the 95. It will be interesting to see if this will be the case tomorrow, when I swap blades between the razors. I would note that it's only the first pass that was rough with the 95 using the Kai, not subsequent passes, when the stubble has already been cut back.

I've been giving my Wald's a good workout, while I 3017 my jar of Art of Shaving Bourbon shave cream**

1719075353303.png

** - I doubt I'll be able to finish the AofS Bourbon before I get bored and switch things up. I probably have another 50 shaves in it and I'm only halfway through.

Another day of Timeless trials in the book. Yesterday's quick shaves were both fine, but the tugging of the 95 with the Kai was just a bit less pleasant than the smoother shave of the 68. For this morning's shave, I swapped the blades to see if the tugging was caused by a flawed blade, or by the razor itself. As with the prior shaves with the Kai, the 95 tugged a bit again today, despite the blade swap. Conclusion? The 95 does better with a sharper blade, but does not really benefit from a blade that is a bit wider and a bit stiffer. I'll do one more shave with the Kai blades tomorrow, then move on to testing with one of the sharper blades on the market, the Perma-Sharp.
1719161836875.png

I’m going to start my Ti Slim SB with the bronze scalloped cap, as you recommended, Mark, with a Wizamet to give myself a little leeway. I’m not sure this is a wise move, but I’ll let you know.
I'm curious to see how it goes. I told Jeremiah to hold my order until he had the handles ready, so the slim might not be ready for me to test when I'm done with the 68 and 95. I'm sure I'll find something else to test in the interim...maybe a Konsul vs Muramasa?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I’m one Ti Crown handle down. I’ll add another bronze razor stand to the order. I don’t expect the Crowns to be out of stock for any length of time. We’ll see but I would be shocked if they aren’t in stock by the end of the month.

Though I rated this a very good shave following my post-shave routine, two hours later, I have some red bumps on both sides. I did not apply significantly more pressure than usual, but the blades did not feel quite as sharp today. Generally, the two shaves were close enough that I was indifferent between them. Tomorrow AM, I will update the review based on where things are at the end of the day. I will be taking a day off tomorrow to let the irritation subside, particularly noting that the next blade up is the Perma-Sharp.

1719237813697.png

I accidentally grabbed the 68 for today's Perma-Sharp test. Glad I did - One of the best shaves I've had in a while. So good, I went to Amazon and picked up several sleeves of Perma-Sharps so I might recreate the shave on demand. I also wanted to try out the Smart Helix brush that came in and I did so with some PdP 63. I'll use that brush and the PdP again tomorrow when I do the same shave with the 95.

After that, I will probably do a two-day shave and a three-day shave, as I've not tested these razors against thicker stubble.

Separately, I received my shipping notification from Timeless, the two Slim plates are on the way, along with some Bronze caps and a Ti Crown handle.
:popc:

1719332010472.png

This morning's shave with the 95 was almost as nice as the identical shave yesterday with the 68. Almost. My face is smooth, with almost no stubble, and I don't feel much post shave irritation. Why did I mark this down two points relative to the 68? Aggression, closeness and something a bit less tangible. Though the 95 gave me a stellar shave, the 68 was just a tad closer. Similarly, I did have some feedback on the Alum block with the 95, but almost none with the 68. Finally, the 68 with the Perma-Sharp blade felt like it was engineered precisely for my face. It was... proper.

At this point, I've tested quick shaves and slow comfortable shaves with three blades. Next, I'll be testing the razor's ability to plow through several days of grown. As I like to shave every day, I'm purely doing this for big science! I will not shave tomorrow nor Friday morning. As I have plans Friday night, 2.5 days of growth will have to do. I'll likely do two such tests before summarizing my findings and closing the review:

1719408281860.png

Top Bottom