What's new

A thread on the joy of trading - and a suggestion to create a Rocket Addiction Fraternity (RAF)

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I was the one looking for Rocket Love awhile back
I have 3, HD500 a Monobloc and another.
I always have a wonderful BBS shave with all

Attachments

• 20171127_151706.jpg
    20171127_151706.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20171127_151813.jpg
    20171127_151813.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1442.JPG
    IMG_1442.JPG
    983.2 KB · Views: 8
RAF, fitting name.

I have definitely used my rocket (early 60s flare tip with an odd “S” stamped on it) more than any other razor I own. And it’s probably one of the least “flashy.”

I saw it while browsing eBay and researched them a bit. When I saw the mechanism was different than US super speeds I had to pull the trigger to add one to my collection. I love it!

How does the monobloc compare to the HD500 please? Often thought of searching one out

Oh yes. The Monobloc is one cool looking razor. I want one of those too. I’m also curious to know if it shaves any different?

RAF, fitting name.

I have definitely used my rocket (early 60s flare tip with an odd “S” stamped on it) more than any other razor I own. And it’s probably one of the least “flashy.”

I saw it while browsing eBay and researched them a bit. When I saw the mechanism was different than US super speeds I had to pull the trigger to add one to my collection. I love it!

I agree. The Flare Tip somehow is quite unpretentious but it shaves great. Thanks for joining.

I have quite a few of these English Rocket type razors, including the #58 and its 1953 aluminium Coronation cousin, two of the Aristocrat versions, a cased Red Tip Rocket and a Blue Tip, two flare tips, a normal Rocket and the Rocket HD.

I reach for them most often when I need a quick and user friendly but efficient shave. Always get an easy DFS with two passes. Included a few pictures..

Flair Tip Rockets.JPG
Gillette 1952 Aristocrat.jpg
Gillette 1952 Aristocrat2.jpg
Red Tip Rocket Razor.JPG
Rocket Razors.JPG

Last edited:
Gentlemen, for the last couple of months I have experienced a growing love for Rockets. It started with an outside-in appreciation of their looks and mechanics, without even owning one.

And then, by mere chance I was looking for a 1949 Aristocrat Jr. on our wonderful BST forum. I there got in contact with a very nice Canadian gentleman who had one up for grabs. One thing led to another and we worked out a deal where the Jr. would go my way along with a gorgeous condition Rocket Flare Tip, and I would send a NEW SC and a Pomco slant the other way. The NEW and Pomco were razors I had bought but which turned out too aggressive for me.

Well, I think we were both very happy with the trade, not least actually with the nice communication going back and forth across the Atlantic, and the shared planning of the shipments. Very nice process indeed which (as everything else in here) restores my faith in the human race and in the generosity of my fellow man. I highly recommend trading as a great way to engage with fellow nerds and to try out new stuff ... and to quickly offload razors that are not for you (my wife acccepts my hobby more when she sees things go out too ;)).

In my case, the Flare Tip turned out to be an immediate preferred go-to for me. So it was quickly followed by an HD500 from Cyprus and a minty 1949 regular Rocket, cased in original red casing. All these are perfect shavers for me and I am now officially a Rocket Addict.

To honor this addiction I call for the creation of a Rocket Addiction Fraternity (RAF) as I have not been able to locate other brotherhoods of this fantastic razor. Somehow RAF would be a fitting acronym for this admiration of solid British built machinery.

Anyone with me?
:a50:
View attachment 845463

Just a question, will you be forming this fraternity in the clubs and brotherhoods section?

Top Bottom