What's new

A thread on the joy of trading - and a suggestion to create a Rocket Addiction Fraternity (RAF)

Gentlemen, for the last couple of months I have experienced a growing love for Rockets. It started with an outside-in appreciation of their looks and mechanics, without even owning one.

And then, by mere chance I was looking for a 1949 Aristocrat Jr. on our wonderful BST forum. I there got in contact with a very nice Canadian gentleman who had one up for grabs. One thing led to another and we worked out a deal where the Jr. would go my way along with a gorgeous condition Rocket Flare Tip, and I would send a NEW SC and a Pomco slant the other way. The NEW and Pomco were razors I had bought but which turned out too aggressive for me.

Well, I think we were both very happy with the trade, not least actually with the nice communication going back and forth across the Atlantic, and the shared planning of the shipments. Very nice process indeed which (as everything else in here) restores my faith in the human race and in the generosity of my fellow man. I highly recommend trading as a great way to engage with fellow nerds and to try out new stuff ... and to quickly offload razors that are not for you (my wife acccepts my hobby more when she sees things go out too ;)).

In my case, the Flare Tip turned out to be an immediate preferred go-to for me. So it was quickly followed by an HD500 from Cyprus and a minty 1949 regular Rocket, cased in original red casing. All these are perfect shavers for me and I am now officially a Rocket Addict.

To honor this addiction I call for the creation of a Rocket Addiction Fraternity (RAF) as I have not been able to locate other brotherhoods of this fantastic razor. Somehow RAF would be a fitting acronym for this admiration of solid British built machinery.

Anyone with me?
:a50:
79227690-A0CA-4F34-B699-4ED48ABB1D85.jpeg

Count me in. I too have become addicted to British Rockets. I now have three of them, two HD 500's and one MD. I also have two Aristocrat Jr.'s one user grade and one in like new condition.

One Rocket came from Cyprus, one from Australia and one from the United States. The two Aristocrat Jr.'s both lived in Canada.

The Rockets and the Aristocrat Jr.'s are right up there with the best shavers I own.

Count me in. I too have become addicted to British Rockets. I now have three of them, two HD 500's and one MD. I also have two Aristocrat Jr.'s one user grade and one in like new condition.

Excellent idea!

Great, gentlemen, thanks very much for your support. ...I strongly suspect this will be a stealth Rocket insider community with ever increasing membership as the rest of the razor world discovers this sturdy little shaver. :thumbup1:

"Stealth" funny you use that word, I just discovered I actually own one more Rocket HD 500, bringing my total to 4 and not 3.

I also have a broken Parat, the head has come off the handle. I don't count that one.

"Stealth" funny you use that word, I just discovered I actually own one more Rocket HD 500, bringing my total to 4 and not 3.

I also have a broken Parat, the head has come off the handle. I don't count that one.

Way to go, Haiku :punk:

Curious about the Parat - did you manage to shave with it before it broke down? - I never tried one and have been wondering if it shaves much different than the regular Rocket or the HD 500...

Anyone else reading this have any experiences on the shave quality of the Parat vs other Rockets?

Thanks
Peter

Curious about the Parat - did you manage to shave with it before it broke down? - I never tried one and have been wondering if it shaves much different than the regular Rocket or the HD 500...

Anyone else reading this have any experiences on the shave quality of the Parat vs other Rockets?

Thanks
Peter
I'm lucky enough to have three rockets. I would say the parat is mildest. Always gives me faultless shaves with no nicks.

I'm also fond of the HD500. A fine looking razor, just slightly more aggressive than the parat, but only just.

I tend to use the regular flare tip less. Somehow just attracts my attention less and so gets less use.

I've been around here for a while and have never really heard much about the Rocket. Sounds like something new to research for my collection!

I'm lucky enough to have three rockets. I would say the parat is mildest. Always gives me faultless shaves with no nicks.

I'm also fond of the HD500. A fine looking razor, just slightly more aggressive than the parat, but only just.

I tend to use the regular flare tip less. Somehow just attracts my attention less and so gets less use.

Thanks!
I also find the HD500 ever so slightly more aggressive than the others. My regular 1949 is smack where it should be in terms of aggressiveness, and in this very similar to the Flare Tip. The Flare Tip however has the best grip of all. Visually I like the very clean style of the regular/HD500 best but the Rocket Flare Tip has the best grip of any razor I have tried.

My 1949 Aristcrat Jr. Looks almost identical to the regular Rocket except the flat base plate. But it is quite more aggressive than my HD500. But maybe that is just my particular specimen.

From your guidance I think I need to find me a Parat also :a14:

I've been around here for a while and have never really heard much about the Rocket. Sounds like something new to research for my collection!

You definitely should try one. They look basically identical to US Super-Speeds but are maybe ever so slightly more aggressive/efficient? - Where they stand out in my opinion is in terms of the build quality. I like Super-Speeds which I find are well built, but the TTO mechanics of the Rockets is absolutely awesome. My best specimens literally feel like they have some kind of oil-driven smoothness to them.

Thanks

No experience at all with the Parat I'm afraid. I purchased it on the 'bay and despite the description that it was in good shape, the head had come off and someone seems to have soldered it back on. It arrived with the head disconnected. I don't know if the seller knew about the shape it was in or not, but I got a refund with no questions asked. I doubt it is repairable as there doesn't seem to be enough metal to make a new crimp and I think that all that can be done would be to use glue.

I would join this fraternity, I only have one but it is a joy to use. I usually go for more agressive razors, but the Rocket is so efficient, and smooth when paired with a Feather or Kai that I could use it every day. If I could only have two razors the Rocket would be one of them.

Top Bottom