What's new

A thread for bowl latherers and scuttle lovers

I hope this could be an honest attempt at starting a thread for members who love bowl lathering and using scuttles. I don't think this group really needs a name but if we would like to give it a name, it would be best that users decide on that name. To get this group off to a great start, let's hear about how much you love using your bowl and/or scuttle and suggest a name for the club. You could vote for names within the thread or with "+1" and I'll tally them up at the end of the week, 11/11. I spoke to the mods and if we get some nominations for names, they'll be happy to put up a poll for members to vote.

My goals for this thread are twofold: 1) to share with others the love for bowls and scuttles, and 2) since this is in the brush forum, to share with others what we believe are great/preferable bowl-lathering brushes. Hopefully members could come to this thread to get an idea of what other bowl lovers prefer as far as their brushes go."

As for me, I have a bowl that I love. I used to build my lather in it but now only use it to keep my lather warm. Every once in a while I might build lather in it because it does a great job. Bowls with ridges at the bottom are great for bowl-lathering. As far as good bowl-lathering brushes go, I say stuff with longer handles work really well. My bowl is nice because it is wide and therefore even my 1XL does just as well in a wide bowl.

EDIT: It looks like the Love Our Bowls Or Scuttles: L.O.B.O.S got the most votes from the names suggested, so I think we'll go with that one. Welcome to the Wolf-pack gentlemen and ladies!

Last edited:
I'm all in. I've tried the face lathering a couple times, and while I got a great lather, it wasn't better than a bowl, and it was a lot more messy! Lather seemed to sort of fling everywhere. I've even seen this happen in face lathering videos.

Bowls are for me, I'm looking into a scuttle for after the holiday spending is done. I know DB is one of the goto standards on here, then there is the German made one that is touted as the holy grail of the modern scuttles. I saw Georgetown Pottery makes one as well. Anyone know any other vendors they can recommend?

As for brushes, I like ones with a high enough loft to make sure I don't ding the handle on the rim of the bowl. Other than that, I pick my brush so it matches the soap I'm using at the time. Harder soap needs more backbone on the brush for me.

I'm in. I really like to bowl lather, it seems to be less messy for me too. I am using a latte mug? ( don't drink coffee ) It measures 5 1/4 " wide by 2 1/2 " tall. I find it to be the perfect size for me. I can whip up lather and not bang the brush against the sides. It also has some texture, inside the bowl, so I feel like it helps in creating lather.

I use a whipped dog 24mm brush at 50 loft. This brush works perfect for me. Has just enough backbone and is soft and slightly floppy as well. Needless to say, I love my setup, but realize it's not for everyone.

I have been soaking my bowl in warm water to create a warm lather. I like it but i really want to get a scuttle.( doesn't seem to stay warm long enough in the bowl ) I'm curious to see what others like. I feel like a 5 ish x 2 1/2 ish size scuttle bowl would be good for me, I like the pottery scuttles. There is a glass blower close to me who makes some really cool stuff. I may try to see if they can hook me up with something. Would thick glass hold the heat long enough?

Count me in also! Though I find myself doing a bit of both bowl and face lathering, I build most of the lather in my apothecary mug first and then spend some time on my face as well. As far as a name goes...hmmm touchy subject there. But how about something completely different, BOLA, BOwl Lather Afficionados.

Fantastic idea! I really enjoy bowl lathering. To bowl or not to bowl has always been a thought on my mind. A scuttle is a way of life!

I've got the apothecary mug from the Van der Hagen set and I love using it more than any other lathering method.

Bowl latherer here. Picked mine up at the goodwill for $0.50. Says "imported from tunisia" on the bottom

proxy.php

After being away for a month the first thing I did when I came home was to enjoy the joys of my scuttle.

$Becker scuttle.jpg

I know many folks are big face lathering fans. And for one month this is what I did every day. But for me there is nothing as luxurious as making lather in a scuttle.

After being away for a month the first thing I did when I came home was to enjoy the joys of my scuttle.

View attachment 284874

I know many folks are big face lathering fans. And for one month this is what I did every day. But for me there is nothing as luxurious as making lather in a scuttle.

What kind of scuttle is that? What are the measurements? ( width depth of the bowl ) I really like that one

I just don't think I could get with face lathering. Gotta have the warm lather. I go back and forth between a bowl and my scuttle. +1 on bola!

What kind of scuttle is that? What are the measurements? ( width depth of the bowl ) I really like that one

It's made by Robert Becker. You can get the dimensions here. It is reasonably priced and if you do a Google search of robertsfeatsofclay.com you will find many favorable comments about his products.

I have been on the road RVing coast to coast for the past 3 months (left Aug 1 and got back yesterday).

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/318499

I face lathered exclusively during this 3 month odyssey as I had little room to take much and was pushing it to take 2 DE razors, 4 soaps, 2 badger brushes, 40 blades, and 2 AS (DOPP was stuffed full). I would have liked to take my scuttle as the last few weeks was rather cold and a warm scuttle lather would have been nice....

Since getting back home I have shaved twice and both times used my Georgetown scuttle. I may not use anything else for a while as it is so nice to have a warm lather in the winter.

Yesterday's shave (first one since getting back):

proxy.php

Today's shave was another hard decision as I want to use all of my razors, brushes, and soaps/creams after being stuck with so few for so long:

proxy.php

One of these days I may get back into my non-scuttle lathering bowls but for the foreseeable future I am going to keep buried in the scuttle

proxy.php

I'm in too: I have had several scuttles, but my all-time favourite is the scuttle of all scuttles, the German tank, the Schwarzweisskeramik XL. It is a beast, for sure, but I love the large bowl for lathering and the thermal inertia that allows me to keep my lather warm for the most leisurely shaves!

As far as brushes for scuttle lathering, I agree that the ones with longer handles are best. I'll second L.O.B.O.S. too.

Top Bottom