What's new

A thought about the Bic Chrome blades.

I'm actually planning on revisiting BIC Chrome Plats after having a string of weirdly bad shaves with them awhile back after some PHENOMAL shaves I had prior to that, when they work, they work AMAZINGLY and are second to none

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I love BIC blades, definitely one of my top blades. Yes the first shave is a bit rough, but after that the shaves are just great. As for longevity the most shaves I have had from a blade was from a BIC for one blade February, it lasted 28 shaves (the last 3 were a bit ropey but I wanted it to last out the month) my favourite blades (Personna Platinum) only last me 16 shaves. If it wasn't for the first rough shave and not being quite as smooth as the Personna they could probably be my top blade

Is it possible that this is another case of bevel angle matched to blade angle in razor? Some razors bend the blade more, some less. Now that I think of it, the razor that allowed the BIC to bite me barely bends the blade.

Now we're getting somewhere with the mystery of the BIC blade!...

Most of my razors rejected the BIC!
Didn't work in ATT, karve, outlaw, Tatara.

Surprisingly, these razors sandwich the blade for a rigid hold but none of them worked with the BIC!! In fact, they felt horrible!!

The Merkur Progress LOVES the BIC and I suspect this is because it bends the blade quite a lot.

Based on this combo, I bulk purchased BIC CP!!

Here is a photo i took of a wizamet blade. You can see the coating. Most of this wears off after the first shave. I have not tried a Bic blade.

IPC_2021-07-07.18.15.24.1450.jpg

Surprisingly, these razors sandwich the blade for a rigid hold but none of them worked with the BIC!! In fact, they felt horrible!!

The Merkur Progress LOVES the BIC and I suspect this is because it bends the blade quite a lot.

Which Karve head do you have? I di not like the BIC blade in my C-plate open comb, but it is just fine in my D-plate closed comb.

Which Karve head do you have? I di not like the BIC blade in my C-plate open comb, but it is just fine in my D-plate closed comb.
Can you actually see the D plate bending the blade more when loaded? I know there is a difference in geometry, but I have never been able understand it without spending money. Thanks

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'm looking forward to my OC and gentile fatips to try the bics in.
They work great in my OC Grande. I find them very smooth and they cut pretty well for me. Bic Chrome Platinum is one of the smoothest blades I've used but angle of use plays a significant role. I know I've found the proper angle when the blade disappears.

Blades I compare to Bic Chrome Platinum in smoothness would be Gillette Green, Gillette Black, Rapira Platinum Lux and Lord Platinum. The Bic however, cuts the best and lasts the longest with the possible exception of Gillette Black.

Is it possible that this is another case of bevel angle matched to blade angle in razor?
Thats been my experience. I've found blade gap also plays a role but my skin doesnt tolerate much blade gap anyway. In my New SC, a Bic Chrome Platinum is a very nice blade with a shallow angle. With a steep angle I find them a bit too much blade. Much the same as a Gillette Yellow, another very smooth blade for me but they can be too much with a steeper angle.

The Feather ASD2 bends the blade a lot. Think it would work in that?

Reactions: nav

now that you mention it, I loved it in my 37C slant. I plan to try it with my Lupo soon(ish).

Reactions: nav

I used the BIC in karve C and D plates, felt very rough.

F plate was a little better but the F plate was too much for my skin in any case.

They work great in my OC Grande. I find them very smooth and they cut pretty well for me. Bic Chrome Platinum is one of the smoothest blades I've used but angle of use plays a significant role. I know I've found the proper angle when the blade disappears.

Great! I'm looking forward to using the BIC in all the fatips I have on the way (OC, Gentile and gentile-slant).

The "blade disappearance" is exactly what I experience with the progress...sublime shaves!!

The Feather ASD2 bends the blade a lot. Think it would work in that?

I used the AS-D1 many, many years ago and it was way too mild for me, regardless of the blade so I wouldn't be the best to comment on the AS-D2.

But generally speaking, the blade bend looks similar to the tatara, which may not be sufficient for the BIC.

now that you mention it, I loved it in my 37C slant. I plan to try it with my Lupo soon(ish).

Sweet!
I have several slants at my parent's place. Will try them all with the BIC once I get them.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I have never gotten a good shave from a Bic Chrome Platinum blade. In fact, every time I use one, I have to pull it after the first few strokes because it's pulling at my whiskers so bad it's like torture. I've tried Bic blades three times...same result. Great deal of confusion because so many on the forums swear by them.

I have never gotten a good shave from a Bic Chrome Platinum blade. In fact, every time I use one, I have to pull it after the first few strokes because it's pulling at my whiskers so bad it's like torture. I've tried Bic blades three times...same result. Great deal of confusion because so many on the forums swear by them.

That's the experience I always have with razors that don't get on with the BIC.
It's a horrible experience and I can barely push through the shave.

No wonder some guys wonder if they received damaged or counterfeit stock...in the wrong razor, they really are that bad!

In the right razor, heavenly smoothness and sublime closeness!

Like the bics in a couple very mellow razors where they lift them up to medium. Same applies for a Kai.

The bics are increasing a bit in sharpnes after the first shave. Which makes them tricky in my mild or adjustables razors. Good longevity

The BIC blades are the best in my Razorock Aluminum Lupo. I have tried over a dozen blades in that razor and have found the BIC to be the best pairing. It also worked well in the Henson AL13 (medium) and the Gillette Techs in my collection. Generally, this is a great blade IMHO. As with everything in wet shaving, YMMV.

Good sharp and long lasting. But I had 100 that were useless.....going to say they were fakes (horrible). Just get them from decent vendor.

The razor in which a blade is used certainly affects the performance. So to do your preshave routine and your shaving technique. Shaving with the proper angle and pressure for the razor/blade combination make a lot of difference.
I have mixed thoughts on this. I only have one main razor so that enables me to keep things consistent when comparing blades. I've had no real issues with Nacet or Silver Star blades, but had several issues with others. I don't think its my preshave routine or technique as I get extremely good shaves with the said blades. Having said that; when its time to change the blade (currently a Nacet is in use), I'll give the Bic another chance and see how I get on.

Jason.

BIC + progress @2.5

Yet another sublime shave today with this magical combo.

This blade definitely prefers a "handle closer to the face" angle compared to other blades, otherwise it feels a little rough.

Someone mentioned the bevel on the BIC blade is responsible for this difference vs other blades.

Whatever the reason, it works!
This angle makes the blade "disappear"!!

I am currently locked in with Bic Chrome Platinums and Rockwell 6S. Feathers were my preferred blade until the price went through the roof and I discovered Bics gave me same results and I get 2x the blade life at a much lower cost. Win-win but YMMV

I am currently locked in with Bic Chrome Platinums and Rockwell 6S. Feathers were my preferred blade until the price went through the roof and I discovered Bics gave me same results and I get 2x the blade life at a much lower cost. Win-win but YMMV

6S and BIC is a good combo for me too...

But progress and BIC is just something special.

Top Bottom