What's new

A testament to the humble Speick Stick

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I have been trying to figure out how to lather Baum.be cream. I have no doubt I will get it eventually, but I am currently having trouble.

I gave up after my first few strokes this morning. Instead, I filled up my scuttle with hot water, and face lathered Speick stick, making sure that the lather was hydrated.

Great first pass. Horror of horrors, for the second, I absentmindedly dipped my brush in the bowl. The same bowl that was now full of water.

I didn't have time to start over, so I just lathered up the second and third passes with the wet lather from the brush.

Speick came through in spades. Perfectly serviceable second and third pass. A testament to Speick's quality!

Welcome to the noble order of the Knights of Speick!

totally enjoy my speick shave soap stick!!

speick trumper filarmonica may 23 2022.jpg

Post reformulation. However I have a stash of tallow speik as well for once I finish this!
Can you say a few words describing how these two compare? I stocked up on a half-dozen or so older formula sticks before the apocalypse. Maybe I was wrong, but the tallow formula was a long-time favorite.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Old formulation was tallow and the New Formulation no tallow. Speick stick is a excellent tripled hard soap with a nice spicy mild scent.
All I do is cut some slivers off and press into bowl and create some excellent lather, I have face lathered also but I like the bowl if possible to use.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Is the Speick stick a tallow soap?
It was until it was reformulated a couple of years ago. AFAIK I was the one who bought the last new old stock. But the vegan version is no slouch. I was using the vegan stick in this experiment.
Can you say a few words describing how these two compare? I stocked up on a half-dozen or so older formula sticks before the apocalypse. Maybe I was wrong, but the tallow formula was a long-time favorite.
I do not know. I am trying to use the whole vegan stick before I break open a tallow, to really get acquainted with it.
Old formulation was tallow and the New Formulation no tallow. Speick stick is a excellent tripled hard soap with a nice spicy mild scent.
All I do is cut some slivers off and press into bowl and create some excellent lather, I have face lathered also but I like the bowl if possible to use.
That is a great idea as well! I actually favor the sticks over soap in a bowl, because in my estimation the stick functions as a pre shave as well, and the amount of lathering you do on your face virtually guarantees a great shave.

Both are excellent in stick form or grated in containers. I thought I might not like the vegan version, but it turned out to be very good. I’ve also found that they combine well with other stick soaps in great frankensoap concoctions 😁

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Reformulation causes issues when purchasing...you just never know which you're going to receive, old tallow or new vegan. Will stick with Tabac for my Frankensoaps.

Reformulation causes issues when purchasing...you just never know which you're going to receive, old tallow or new vegan. Will stick with Tabac for my Frankensoaps.
Fortunately when first ordered it (post reformulation) I was able to stock up on the tallow version. I do have a couple of the new version to compare to the original

The vegan formula has a slightly less creamy/dense lather and the post shave is also a fair bit lesser than the tallow.

I have half a dozen tallow sticks.
I don't use the tallow stick too often now as I really don't want them to finish any time soon as I'm not sure I'll use the vegan one after these are gone.

Top Bottom