What's new

A terrible shave experience.

Was it the store @ 46th & Madison? I think the same guy shaved me once, years ago. I'll never, ever do that again.

That's the place, in the Roosevelt Hotel complex. How long ago did he shave you?

I ask because I got my saves from him in the late 90's. As I said earlier it could be a YMMV situation, but Boris is also getting pretty old. So if it happened more recently I could understand. But you said "years ago" so I will assume it wasn't too recently.

Of the 10 or so barbers who have shave me in my life, Boris gave my bar far my best shaves---many of them, actually.

That's the place, in the Roosevelt Hotel complex. How long ago did he shave you?

I ask because I got my saves from him in the late 90's. As I said earlier it could be a YMMV situation, but Boris is also getting pretty old. So if it happened more recently I could understand. But you said "years ago" so I will assume it wasn't too recently.

I found B&B in late '07. Boris shaved me years prior -- I'm guessing it was somewhere between '03 & early '05.

After the shave my face felt raw -- abraded & irritated -- worse than it felt after a shave w/my Schick cart (the one w/3 blades. Can't remember what it's called.). I remember thinking, I could've done this myself for free.

Learned my lesson that day. Never again.

I found B&B in late '07. Boris shaved me years prior -- I'm guessing it was somewhere between '03 & early '05.

After the shave my face felt raw -- abraded & irritated -- worse than it felt after a shave w/my Schick cart (the one w/3 blades. Can't remember what it's called.). I remember thinking, I could've done this myself for free.

Learned my lesson that day. Never again.

When you say "never again" do you mean Boris or any barber? I understand why you wouldn't go back to a guy who have you a bad shave. But have you given up on barber shaves in general? I have found a big variance from barber to barber.

When you say "never again" do you mean Boris or any barber?

No, I meant I'll never shave again.

...ok, I kid, I kid.

I meant that never again will I go back to that guy. And yes, of course -- no doubt each barber will be different. But honestly, the only person I trust to give me a good shave is me. Perhaps that's because I've never had a quality barber shave. I guess I'd be willing to give the whole barber experience a shot w/a different person.

I had a great shave from a barber in downtown Toronto, I believe his shop is at Dundas and Bay st.

I also once had a wetshave before my friends wedding in Mississauga, and it was much rougher, with some redness, burn, and lasting irritation. Luckily it didn't show up in the wedding photos.

However it wasn't as bad as some of the stories on here!

I got a few decent shaves from the father and son at Sunset Barber Shop in San Francisco (Inner Sunset). Great guys, reasonably priced. Decent bars within a block or so for your pre-post shave cocktail. The only odd thing I remember is one of them (the father, I think) used a disposable twin for the first pass. I was concerned when he first started using this. But he went to a shavette (I think) for the subsequent passes.

Father may be retired now. I think the son's name is "Jay".

I'm sorry to hear about this horrible experience !!!! I have never had the opportunity to have a shave from a professional and your review actually scares me from trying to seek one out. I can get a great shave all by myself in the comfort of my own home but, the experience of having a traditional shave does appeal to me but a bit less since reading what happened to you.

To the uninitiated; don't be afraid to try a wet shave. For every bad shave there was probably 100's if not 1000's of good ones. Find a local barber and try one out, if you're not satisfied with the results then go elsewhere next time. A barber's wetshave is an experience no man should go through life without.

I had a great shave from a barber in downtown Toronto, I believe his shop is at Dundas and Bay st.

Would that be the Terminal Barbershop? Some day I want to try a traditional shave and a recommendation in T.O is appreciated.

I have some trepidation about going into businesses with "terminal" in their names. Can I be sure I will come out again?

T.Orso, I'm not sure of the business name but it's located at Dundas and Bay, adjacent to the Barber and Beauty Supply. A friend of mine had insisted we visit for a shave and a haircut, and I certainly didn't regret it!

I have never had a barber shave and most likely never will because I enjoy doing it myself, but something about this thread puzzles me. Paul mentions that his "speed" barber took "the largest gash out of my face" and Craig from Cincy says that Boris "tore my face up", yet it appears that both barbers were paid. Am I missing something or is there some etiquette that states that the barber shall be paid, no matter what facial damage they cause? If I went to have a "Professional" shave my face and his carelessness drew more blood than a weeper, there is no way that the so-called "professional barber" is going to get paid by me. And I find it disgusting that any barber would still try to charge for a shave while he is washing the blood off his hands and razor.

While I agree with you on principle the practice of receiving a service then not paying for it could present a much larger problem then the gash ever could.

While I certainly understand that point of view, VolpeVerde, in this particular case, bsmith hit the nail on the head. The situation had already devolved enough, and given the circumstances, I wasn't willing to let it go any further.

Regards,

Paul

I'm sorry to hear about this horrible experience !!!! I have never had the opportunity to have a shave from a professional and your review actually scares me from trying to seek one out. I can get a great shave all by myself in the comfort of my own home but, the experience of having a traditional shave does appeal to me but a bit less since reading what happened to you.

To the uninitiated; don't be afraid to try a wet shave. For every bad shave there was probably 100's if not 1000's of good ones. Find a local barber and try one out, if you're not satisfied with the results then go elsewhere next time. A barber's wetshave is an experience no man should go through life without.

BigNickel is absolutely correct on this, Aschecte. I'm fortunate enough to have had quality shaves from many different barbers, so please don't let my bad experience deter you from your search. (Maybe just ask beforehand if he's training for a "speed barbering" competition) :lol:

Good evening, all.

- Paul

I have never had a barber shave and most likely never will because I enjoy doing it myself, but something about this thread puzzles me. Paul mentions that his "speed" barber took "the largest gash out of my face" and Craig from Cincy says that Boris "tore my face up", yet it appears that both barbers were paid. Am I missing something or is there some etiquette that states that the barber shall be paid, no matter what facial damage they cause? If I went to have a "Professional" shave my face and his carelessness drew more blood than a weeper, there is no way that the so-called "professional barber" is going to get paid by me. And I find it disgusting that any barber would still try to charge for a shave while he is washing the blood off his hands and razor.

In my case it was my first barber shave, and I didn't realize the full extent of the damage until I got back to my hotel room at the Sherry Netherland and looked in the bathroom mirror. The weepers had time to really weep by then, and the razor burn was really burning by then as well. I was embarrassed to go out to dinner with my Wife that night.

And yes, it was the AOS store at 46th & Madison. Boris shaved me in November 2004, I remember because I was working for Heineken USA then, and it was just after the 3rd anniversary of 9/11.

One negative thing I have to say about every barber shave I've had is, they have all been too close for my face. Even the great ones, with no weepers, that felt great afterward, bothered me the next day. The bad ones bothered me longer. This was before my face changed for the better--I think i could handle it better now. But if you aren't used to extremely close shaves, you may want to think twice. Still, I would recommend you give one a shot after doing some research. It really is a luxurious experience, IMO.

Being a native New Orleanian I had driven by the Magazine St. barber shop many times. Being in the old Uptown neighborhood for years I always thought it would be a good place for a shave. Not long after I was crusing the web and came across their website. They touted their shaves and when I clicked to the shave video everything looked good. Hot Towel, Pre shave oil, Hot towel. Hot lather. Then the barber pulls out a Fusion razor and shaves the guy.... Are you SERIOUS? $40 for a shave with a Fusion razor? Then I was doing some work on a beauty shop owned by a tattooed Chick with a bad attitude. She told me and my helper that she did traditional wet shaves. I asked her what kind of shavette she used as I had been looking at a few and she looked at me like I had 5 eyes... Didn't even know what I was talking about. I tried to explain and she insisted that LA law said they can't use straight razors. I tried to explain that it wasn't a true straight and the blades are changed for each shave. She STILL didn't get it. Insisted the 5 blade cart razor she used was better than a straight... I wouldn't let this chick shave my cats ***...lol.. There are a few barbers around here that still do shaves but it's becoming a lost art... So Buyer Beware when it comes to barbershop shaves. Give me a block of Mike's, a pig brush and my Damaskeene and I'll shave myself....

Top Bottom