A tale of two Tuckaways

Discussion in 'Double Edged Razors' started by Cornishman, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Bump!

2. Andon to answer your question, I have a Silver Big Fellow in Silver case with the narrower flat from 1928, also a Gold New Standard/Bostonian (no case) again from 1928 with the narrower flat.
    I have a late Milady (Tuckaway style razor) on the way to me from 1929 it looks like this will have the narrower flat too.
    All these have the rounded blunt posts/studs.

3. Thanks, Brian!
    How do the rounded blunt posts/studs relate to flat's width? Are all rounded blunt posts/studs on razors with the narrow (late) baseplate?
    :001_smile

4. Andon, all of my razors with the narrow plate have the blunt rounded posts/studs.

5. Brian, from the photo bellow could you tell which type of posts/studs we have here:

[​IMG]

6. Normal bullet studs Andon.

7. In the original post there's pictures of the two types of studs. They're easily distinguishable.

8. Thanks for your input, gents! :thumbup1:

9. WONDERFUL! Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:

10. To answer to the above, so that could possible help the future thread resurrectors. After a further research so far I have seen the following sets in the new head design:
    - gold tuckaway set
    - gold New Standart set
    - silver Big Fellow set
    - gold Milady Decollette set

I haven't seen any of the bellow in the new head design:
    - Bostonian set
    - Richwood set
    - any traveller set

11. This is good information. I don't think anyone has posted a 13mm Big Fellow.

12. Mr-razor did:

[​IMG]

13. Also, Brian (782sirbrian) has one in his collection if I'm not mistaken.

14. Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2017
  15. Cool. I was so inspired by all of these NI Big Fellow 13mm baseplates that I decided to check out my own.

Imagine my disappointment when I discovered that I don't own one.:crying:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrIMXZST3go

16. My updated list is as follows:

So far I have seen the following sets in the new head design:
    - gold tuckaway set
    - gold New Standard set
    - silver New Standard set
    - silver Big Fellow set
    - gold Milady Decollette set

I haven't seen any of the bellow in the new head design:
    - Bostonian set
    - Richwood set
    - any traveller set

17. Those Tuckaways remind of a Gillette Somerset I lucked out upon this year. Nice razors and nice summary.

$image.jpg $image.jpg

This is one is made in Canada. My most beautiful set with it's fine intricate designs.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  18. Thanks Edgar. As convenient as it is for travelling I would not travel with it as I don't want to loose it or have it stolen.