What's new

A tale of two Italian cheeses ...

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy

I really enjoy both! @Marco may have some local information to pass on as to how the Italians themselves view the two cheeses.

The difference is truly minimal, to the point that some people don't even notice any difference in taste at all. Both have their glorious history and both deserve to be enjoyed!

For cooking I prefer Percorino Romano but to nibble with a glass of wine both Parmigiano and Grana are a treat. I rarely see aged Grana in the shops in my area though so with Parmigiano you have much more variety

Great post about some lovley italian cheese.
Here in Copgenhagen, both Grana and Parmigiano are ready available. Personally, I perfer Parmigiano together with a glas of wine or a Prosecco. Tastes also beautiful together with some drops of fruity olive oil.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy

I really enjoy both! @Marco may have some local information to pass on as to how the Italians themselves view the two cheeses.

Doc, some history for you and our friends on B&B.

Pecorino Romano has been produced for 2000 years, since the Ancient Roman Empire. Its recipe, ingredients list and production proceedures have been maintained ever since. The two Italian regions that produce the finest Pecorino Romano are Lazio and Sardegna.

Parmigiano Reggiano has "only" 900 years. It comes from Emilia Romagna, just like Grana Padano. For these two also recipe, ingredients lists and production proceedures have never changed since the Middle Ages when they were born.

Three example of Made in Italy at its very best!!!

A glas of good red wine (prefer Tuscany) and some of the mentioned cheeses with a bit of olive oil.
Its my favourite way to end a good dinner, also it is supposed to prevent Alzheimer I read
somewhere (do not tell me if it is not true).

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The two Italian regions that produce the finest Pecorino Romano are Lazio and Sardegna.

Thanks! I had to look that up ...

1620427909870.png

This is the map from the article showing where Parm-Reg and Gr-Pad are made ...

1620427758912.png

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I have been asked many times how I do compare Italian food and wine to food and wine from other countries, but I never said "our products are the finest". Honestly, being Italian, my judgement would not be impartial and overall it would not be fair.

I also enjoy cheeses from France, wines from Portugal and beers from Germany. All countries have their quality products, to be very proud of.

Yes, I like to behave like a Gentleman and be diplomatic. Well, I'm an Ambassador, so what else could I do? :wink2:

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I have been asked many times how I do compare Italian food and wine to food and wine from other countries, but I never said "our products are the finest". Honestly, being Italian, my judgement would not be impartial and overall it would not be fair.

I also enjoy cheeses from France, wines from Portugal and beers from Germany. All countries have their quality products, to be very proud of.

Yes, I like to behave like a Gentleman and be diplomatic. Well, I'm an Ambassador, so what else could I do? :wink2:
And of course Italian food and wine is incredibly diverse. Dining in Milano, Firenze, Napoli, and Venezia has as much diversity as dining in four completely different countries!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
All countries have their quality products, to be very proud of.
Indeed.

Some countries seem to have a few more than most other countries ... and Italy seems to be one of those blessed countries with many!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

True. Almost every culture has some special cuisine that is worth investigating.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis

Marco:
Talking about cheese (and not to get off-thread),...do you (or have tried), know of anyone whose tried Casu Marzu
proxy.php

proxy.php
"To me, life without [...] stinky cheese is a life not worth living". Chef Anthony Bourdain

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Marco:
Talking about cheese (and not to get off-thread),...do you (or have tried), know of anyone whose tried Casu Marzu
proxy.php

proxy.php
"To me, life without [...] stinky cheese is a life not worth living". Chef Anthony Bourdain

No Sir, and I never will.

Casu Marzu is illegal and potentially harmful. For me it's also very disgusting.

For those asking what Casu Marzu is, well it's a cheese from Sardegna with live worms inside. It's eaten that way and available only at the black market.

Casu Marzu is illegal and potentially harmful. For me it's also very disgusting.

For those asking what Casu Marzu is, well it's a cheese from Sardegna with live worms inside. It's eaten that way and available only at the black market.
It might be Corse and just infiltrated the beautiful Sardegna ;)

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis

Marco:
Calvin and Hobbes - 3 (3).jpg
I'm with you...that cheese has got to be 'sooo' nasty.
proxy.php

Although, being fair myself...I guees many would ask;

1620953125237.png

Casu Marzu Cheese (2).png
"[...Casu Marzu] is like a beauty with only one eye." Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

Top Bottom