What's new

A Tale of 3 Razors:

The Black handle razor is a late 50's Schick "Type I" and gave me a nice shave 2 days ago. The Ivory Handle razor is a vicious early 50's Schick "Type G" and attacked me unmercifully yesterday. The Stainless Steel handle razor is a 2019 Blackland Vector... an unbelievably sharp, but mild, razor.

The Vector did a great job this morning despite the wounds left behind by the "Type G". Nice close shave with no nicks or irritation.

(Note the blade exposure and blade gap on the "Type G". I measured the gaps and came up with a .72 for the I and a .94 for the G.)

2019_Jun_05_7919_LR.jpg

The Black handle razor is a late 50's Schick "Type I" and gave me a nice shave 2 days ago. The Ivory Handle razor is a vicious early 50's Schick "Type G" and attacked me unmercifully yesterday. The Stainless Steel handle razor is a 2019 Blackland Vector... an unbelievably sharp, but mild, razor.

The Vector did a great job this morning despite the wounds left behind by the "Type G". Nice close shave with no nicks or irritation.

(Note the blade exposure and blade gap on the "Type G". I measured the gaps and came up with a .72 for the I and a .94 for the G.)

View attachment 987899
Brother LA

How do you know the middle razor is not a Type E, instead of a G? The easiest way to tell is the G has a seam running atop the handle, length wise. The E does not. The E can be a harsh shaver. The G is a pussycat, unless perhaps its been damaged.

Your experience is mysterious. At least to me.

Brother LA

How do you know the middle razor is not a Type E, instead of a G? The easiest way to tell is the G has a seam running atop the handle, length wise. The E does not. The E can be a harsh shaver. The G is a pussycat, unless perhaps its been damaged.

Your experience is mysterious. At least to me.
Well there is definitely a seam running length wise. Would you happen to know the normal blade gap for a G? I have two more just like it so I may give them a try once I have recovered emotionally. First up will be a "Type F" I have been restoring (also have an "L" and a "J" waiting for a turn).

My 3 Schick "G' models all have two patent numbers... that should also confirm their "G" status.

You are correct, That is a G. In addition, it is missing the "wings" of an E, and it states Eversharp Schick around the rivet. However, I do confess that I have never experienced a shave such as you described in your other post with any G Type that I have ever tried. Perhaps it is damaged.

You are correct, That is a G. In addition, it is missing the "wings" of an E, and it states Eversharp Schick around the rivet. However, I do confess that I have never experienced a shave such as you described in your other post with any G Type that I have ever tried. Perhaps it is damaged.
Could be. I just took it out and gave it a good look under my magnifying glass. It looks fine. Perhaps I was just too carefree. However I had no trouble at all with the "I". I will report back after trying the other G's... and will give this one another go as well.

Could be. I just took it out and gave it a good look under my magnifying glass. It looks fine. Perhaps I was just too carefree. However I had no trouble at all with the "I". I will report back after trying the other G's... and will give this one another go as well.

To me, the Type G and Type I shave almost identically. Of course, YMMV.

D

dangerousrazor

To me, the Type G and Type I shave almost identically. Of course, YMMV.
same here. and J shave identically too. I doubt that G is more aggressive than its descendant. All of my 3 G type
are on par with their descendants in terms of aggressiveness. and I never cut with these great, mild shavers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went with one pass WTG being very careful and applying no pressure. Got 2 nicks... one was a re-attack and one fresh nick. I absolutely felt the blade against my face throughout the entire shave. Maybe I got a bad blade or the razor is slightly bent... something just is not right. To my good credit I elected not to go with a second pass after the first two nicks.

I went with one pass WTG being very careful and applying no pressure. Got 2 nicks... one was a re-attack and one fresh nick. I absolutely felt the blade against my face throughout the entire shave. Maybe I got a bad blade or the razor is slightly bent... something just is not right. To my good credit I elected not to go with a second pass after the first two nicks.
Was it a fresh blade? Did the blade you loaded replace an existing blade or did you load an empty razor (which easily damages the edge)? Like others I've never experienced particularly aggressive shaves or issues with any of my Gs.

I loaded a fresh blade on my first encounter. Tonight I used that same blade... it was definitely aggressive. However I used a blade from the same injector on an "I" model and it was great. More to follow.

Got the blade out and put it under a big magnifying glass... it does looked chopped up. I will report back this weekend.

Agree with the other posters. What you found is likely the blade having drug across the stops as it was injected. I have a couple personna blades around for sacrificial purposes. I have shaved with a blade that I suspected might have drug across the blade stops and regretted every stroke. Didn't bleed, but my face was very red and irritated. I'd file off the edge of that blade and use it as a "blank" so you can avoid that issue in the future. Load it into any razor before you load the blade you want to use and it'll save the second blade's edge.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom