What's new

A subjective question though I feel the need to ask it. Soap or stick?

Once again a very warm good evening to all fellow shavers.

I've been doing a lot of research on soaps and sticks. At the moment (as some of you probably know already) I have that shaving soap I got for my birthday last month with a shaving brush.

The reason for this post: Are shaving sticks equal or better than soaps? I've seen some videos on Youtube on how to apply a shaving stick. Is there an advantage to a stick over a soap or vice versa? One thing that has drawn me to the sticks is that they seem less 'messy' (i.e apply the stick directly to your face then lather with the brush)

I am trying not to come across as overly pedantic when it comes to soaps; I have just built up such an interest in this topic. As always any replies received will be most grateful. I feel honoured to be part of this forum.

Jason.

The soap is the same, just a different shape.

Advantages for the stick: 1) quick to use 2) compact and good for travel 3) economical in amount of soap used.

Some people don't like using sticks. They may prefer to bowl lather or don't like the feel of the stick on their face.

You can use a regular soap puck like a stick, just wet the face, take the soap in hand, wet the soap, then apply to the whiskers directly, followed by face lathering. Just paint a thin layer of soap on the beard area, the shape of the soap doesn't really matter that much.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I think shave sticks work very well, although I’m not a fan. I’ve tried them but prefer to load off a puck and face lather. I grated Speick and Wilkinson Sword sticks into a Frankensoap but kept La Toja around for when the mood strikes.

I've gravitated towards sticks. Cheap, easy and convient. I'm not going to say I will never buy a tub again because there are a few I wanna try still and a few that have yet to come out I'm sure but my vote is for the sticks. If there is a tub of soap and a stick from the same company, I would be willing to bet that they are the same soap just in different form as aforementioned by previous members posts

I like using the stick my only problem with it is getting soap on the hands and having to rinse after applying.
So because of that I've started to smush my soap into a mug, I think a stick holder would be my ideal use case though.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Jason, as has been mentioned, the soap is the same, it's the form. I love La Toja stick but I use it primarily for travel. A little soap stick fits in the toiletries kit oh so easily, and it's a great soap. At home, I rarely use it, I use other stuff.

The soap is the same, the shave is the same, stick vs puck is really a non-versus kind of comparison. Doesn't matter. La Toja used to make a wonderful tub soap, but alas, no more. Their stick is awesome.

I do not think your choice of soap to use will come down to that, though. You'll use your favorite soap, no matter the form it comes in. The folks that grate sticks into pucks, IMNSHO, are nuts. I have better things to do with my time. And you can take a soap puck, wet it a bit and rub it on your face. Trust me, this will be the least determining factor in what you like about a lather product. If you like it, you'll use it how it comes.

Actually, I think I'll use La Toja in the morning now! I don't travel much any more, but what a soap!

Jason, as has been mentioned, the soap is the same, it's the form. I love La Toja stick but I use it primarily for travel. A little soap stick fits in the toiletries kit oh so easily, and it's a great soap. At home, I rarely use it, I use other stuff.

The soap is the same, the shave is the same, stick vs puck is really a non-versus kind of comparison. Doesn't matter. La Toja used to make a wonderful tub soap, but alas, no more. Their stick is awesome.

I do not think your choice of soap to use will come down to that, though. You'll use your favorite soap, no matter the form it comes in. The folks that grate sticks into pucks, IMNSHO, are nuts. I have better things to do with my time. And you can take a soap puck, wet it a bit and rub it on your face. Trust me, this will be the least determining factor in what you like about a lather product. If you like it, you'll use it how it comes.

Actually, I think I'll use La Toja in the morning now! I don't travel much any more, but what a soap!
The only shave stick I converted into a puck was a stick of Arko. But I cut it into coins and then mashed it into an empty hair fiber tub. I didn't grate it. Does that make me not so grate or an ingrate? 😉

There’s excellent soaps in both formats. As others have said it comes down to personal preference. I personally prefer soaps that come in a tub or puck. Though one of my favorites is La Toja which only comes in stick form

Top Bottom