What's new

A SR you keep going back too

As with every hobby and passion I get into , I have many but I always have my favorites . My question as I’m still going through my accumulation faze is what SR do you keep in rotation ? Without having to buy every razor and scour BEST lists through the forums let me know what’s your favorite shaver of late . Thanks

I've got a Dovo Diamaint I keep using mostly because I honed it, and I suck at honing, and made it pretty damn sharp and still can't get over I was able to put such a nice edge on it LOL

Welcome to the forums -

My "...favorite shaver of late" would be a toss up between a Henckels Twin Works #412 "Kos-Mo" and a Tennis #80; both are full hollow.

For me it's this 5/8 Boker. It's nothing special, but it's the first ever straight I bought and the one I learned to hone on (check that honewear!). Apart from the sentimental reasons, it has a fantastic edge and never fails to deliver a great shave.

Boker.jpg

I've got a Dovo Diamaint I keep using mostly because I honed it, and I suck at honing, and made it pretty damn sharp and still can't get over I was able to put such a nice edge on it LOL
Yeah honing it yourself and getting a good edge really separates the razors for me as well !

For me it's this 5/8 Boker. It's nothing special, but it's the first ever straight I bought and the one I learned to hone on (check that honewear!). Apart from the sentimental reasons, it has a fantastic edge and never fails to deliver a great shave.

View attachment 1618886
Yeah my first razor was a king cutter and it’s got a date with me usually on Friday nights lol

I have a number of razors which I really like, but I still find myself reaching for my Carl Grah 5/8 dutch point more than I should. It was one of the first two I bought, two razors where the auctions ended within half an hour from the same seller on the bay. They were the first razors I honed. Using the method they both ended up with acceptable edges on the first session.

I haven't been able to find out anything about the razor and it's probably a generic Solingen razor, but it is a delight to use.

If forced, I could get by with only the 5/8 TI Le Grolet I picked up in France fresh from the factory that has me hooked as well as a 6/8 JJ Lange & Co. "Diamondint" full hollow that needed to be rescaled and the edge was very rough/toothy and took a lot of work to put an edge on, but it gives great shaves. I like these two to the point that I have to make a conscious effort to not reach for them exclusively.

A 6/8 by Ertan Süer/Rasoir Sabre France. I am blessed with several such razors, so it is not just one razor I return to.

The most beautiful blade etch is his Drakkar.

His Gustave Lalune Veni Vidi Vici always makes me smile. With his custom Forges Foréziennes thumb notch blank, bocote scales, and file work - it ticks every box.

Reactions: JPO
I've thought about this and it would be hard to pick just one. When forced to choose, I have a 7/8 George Wostenholme pipe razor that would probably win out. Blade is in great shape, it has the original pressed horn scales, and that thing mows facial hair like there's no tomorrow. I have some other very close runner-ups. Too many to discuss.

My 6/8th modern T.I. Grelot. My first "not gold dollar". I'm slowly acquiring other razors of all sorts of sizes/grinds but whenever I go back to that particular T.I. I just know I have something special that fits like a glove. The rest are for fun, the T.I. is the daily.
My TI Sheffield is my daily. It was one of my original straights but is such a pleasure to use. The edge has held great and is very nimble in hand.

Wood has a big elemental appeal to me for all things shaving, so it’s timber scales are a constant draw to me.

I have about 15 straights in my rotation.
The first 3 are still in there.
There's an MK 31 in ivory.
There's a no name model Heljestrand rescaled in rosewood.
But of the 3, I think my favorite is a Boker Red Injun 102.

Best shavers are my TI Le Grelot razors. I’ve sold almost all my razors and kept only those, I have about 5 of them but I want to get to a 7 day set. Regret not buying more when they were readily available like 10 years ago.

Top Bottom