What's new

A Song of Ice and Fire

They're not Harry Turtledove bad though, right? Please tell me they're at least better than Harry Turtledove characters. :sad:

I haven't read any Turtledove either. FWIIW, many people do enjoy The Wheel of Time series. I'm just not one of them. At least it isn't Terry Goodkind. So you have that going for you.

I haven't read any Turtledove either. FWIIW, many people do enjoy The Wheel of Time series. I'm just not one of them. At least it isn't Terry Goodkind. So you have that going for you.

When I was at the bookstore it was between this and a Terry Goodkind book. Apparently my taste in books is very low brow. Oh well, if this doesn't work out there's always the Twilight series.

When I was at the bookstore it was between this and a Terry Goodkind book. Apparently my taste in books is very low brow. Oh well, if this doesn't work out there's always the Twilight series.

If you enjoy it then who cares? I'd rather enjoy what I read than lug around an obtuse work by some author that impresses people who see the cover and puts me to sleep. Keep reading this thread and you'll find some excellent suggestions (there have already been many).

They're not Harry Turtledove bad though, right? Please tell me they're at least better than Harry Turtledove characters. :sad:

I've put in some time with Turtledove (I read the Southern Victory series). I find Jordan's worldbuilding more engaging than HT's, but I have spent enough time discussing alternate history that I didn't mind the latter's triteness in characterization. The trouble with WoT was the middle of the series. I know that Jordan needed to have things for all the characters to do while growing capable of the final book, but things began to drag. If you push through some of the more painful storylines, you are greatly rewarded. I have found the last three books to be really good.

Of course, it doesn't hurt that my current favorite genre author finished off the latter two books in the series (along with the impending ultimate book). If you are looking for a great fantasy writer, you can't go wrong with Brandon Sanderson. As with any author, some of his work is better than other bits. Warbreaker would be good for anybody else, but was his weakest. Elantris was really good. The Mistborn trilogy was astounding. I can't really comment on Way of Kings since that series is just starting. Your best bet would be Mistborn: The Final Empire. It's the first book in the series, but it really works as a stand alone as well.

I don't think you will regret the WoT series. I got up to the 3rd book before I started on A Song of Ice and Fire. Its an interesting and fun series. One problem I have (in general with a lot of fantasy) is that Jordan has a lot of "jargon" that never really gets explained. He never specifically describes what Aes Seidi are, or exactly what the events in "The Breaking" were. They all get explained through the series, but some things not until the 2nd or 3rd book. Being 700+ page books, its sometimes a little annoying to have to read 1400 pages to find out what a specific event he refers to actually is. Not that I want stuff handed to me, just a little more explanation.

I do find the characters in A Song of Ice and Fire a little more intriguing. Tyrion is really starting to grow on me. He is vile and despicable, and self serving but also has a redeeming quality of not bending to Cersi or Jamie's wills that sets him apart from the entire Lannister group. Bran kind of annoys me with his self pity, but I guess thats kind of a given. Varys is a very interesting character too. Just when you think you have him figured out, he completely changes.

Here is the old thread. Bringing it back from the dead. No holds barred. Spoilers abound. Assume that this thread will talk about anything up to the events in the current book (at this point in time A Dance With Dragons).

Events in the book, book vs movie, speculations all welcome.

I have read Robert Jordan Wheel of Time series. I have not read too much fantasy since then, this discuss has peaked my interest agian.
Any other author favorites.

Has anyone read World of Ice and Fire? I'm jonesin' for the story, but the description at Amazon makes it sound more like a graphic novel than the Silmarillion...

have not read it...its supposed to be background to the Westros world?

Coyote - IMO the Game of Thrones series is MUCH better than Wheel of Time. I found WOT very rambling and the same thing happened in each book. These books tend to ramble since they are similar in length as the WOT books, but the story really progresses. If you want something thats not such a time commitment, Joe Abercrombie's "The First Law" series is awesome. The first book is called "The Blade itself". Scott Lynch's "The Gentlemen Bastards" series is one of my all time favorites. The first book is "The Lies of Locke Lamora". I really wish they'd make this into a TV series.

Now I'm not going to come right out and say it yet...but I can't wait to see everyones reaction to the season finale. :)

Last edited:
have not read it...its supposed to be background to the Westros world?

I'm thinkin' that's the intent.... could be interesting.. First Men, heart trees, Children of the Forest... certainly a lot of material there to get caught up on.

It will certainly be interesting to see the take on the finale...

Anybody else wondering where whores go?

Tyrion never asked Tywin in the show, but that line becomes his mantra for the next few books. That was the only change that made me wonder a bit during the finale.

I have really enjoyed the differences between the show and the books, even that crazy fight between brienne and the hound!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Anybody else wondering where whores go?

Tyrion never asked Tywin in the show, but that line becomes his mantra for the next few books. That was the only change that made me wonder a bit during the finale.

I have really enjoyed the differences between the show and the books, even that crazy fight between brienne and the hound!

that fight was awesome. It was as good as reading her and Biter(?) in the book. Only she was the biter!

Yeah, that fight had to be a nod towards her other brutal fight in book 4. It irks me though that everyone is just lolly-gagging through the hills around the Eyrie, hills known to be infested with savage hill tribes (remember those guys?). That is the kind of stuff GRRM remembers from book to book but the show definitely slips up.

For me the real danger from watching the show from this season on out isn't so much "spoilers" but infered knowledge due to LACK of show inclusion. Like Coldhands. I guess he isn't that critical to the book plot? Or the possibility that Jayne Westerling could be hiding a Robb Stark pregnancy. Or maybe Tywin was poisoned by someone else before Tyrion killed him (Varys, Shae?). Jojen obviously isn't that important, though I suppose a ghost version could linger to give exposition (which has also been cut a bit, so their father Howland Reed and his possible knowledge of Jon's true mother is out). I wonder if the actor wanted to bail or what.

This stuff makes me wonder if GRRM was juggling too many balls in his books (leading to the ridiculous time needed to write them) and so he is cutting bait and using the show to finish up. It'll be sad if ASOIAF fizzles out instead of coming to a rousing conclusion. I think GRRM has a chance to make an enduring fantasy legacy up there with Tolkien but only if he can maintain momentum and fan good-will, else he will be at the mercy of some decades distant critic to resurrect interest.

Yeah, that fight had to be a nod towards her other brutal fight in book 4. It irks me though that everyone is just lolly-gagging through the hills around the Eyrie, hills known to be infested with savage hill tribes (remember those guys?). That is the kind of stuff GRRM remembers from book to book but the show definitely slips up.

For me the real danger from watching the show from this season on out isn't so much "spoilers" but infered knowledge due to LACK of show inclusion. Like Coldhands. I guess he isn't that critical to the book plot? Or the possibility that Jayne Westerling could be hiding a Robb Stark pregnancy. Or maybe Tywin was poisoned by someone else before Tyrion killed him (Varys, Shae?). Jojen obviously isn't that important, though I suppose a ghost version could linger to give exposition (which has also been cut a bit, so their father Howland Reed and his possible knowledge of Jon's true mother is out). I wonder if the actor wanted to bail or what.

This stuff makes me wonder if GRRM was juggling too many balls in his books (leading to the ridiculous time needed to write them) and so he is cutting bait and using the show to finish up. It'll be sad if ASOIAF fizzles out instead of coming to a rousing conclusion. I think GRRM has a chance to make an enduring fantasy legacy up there with Tolkien but only if he can maintain momentum and fan good-will, else he will be at the mercy of some decades distant critic to resurrect interest.

I agree with all of this. My fear is that he is going to change the course of the books based on fan perception. For example...the interwebs have been buzzing for years about who Jon Snow really is. Would it surprise anyone if Martin rethought his character just so theorists won't be right?

I don't follow the interwebs. Who do they say Jon Snow really is?

The interwebs offer the following theory about who Mr. Snow really is:

Basically, the theory is that Ned is not Jon's dad. If you go back to book 1, there is a discussion where Ned talks about bastards, and then mentions that he kept a promise to his sister that was very difficult....this has led people to guess that Jon is the child of Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen. http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Jon_Snow/Theories

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
The interwebs offer the following theory about who Mr. Snow really is:

Basically, the theory is that Ned is not Jon's dad. If you go back to book 1, there is a discussion where Ned talks about bastards, and then mentions that he kept a promise to his sister that was very difficult....this has led people to guess that Jon is the child of Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen. http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Jon_Snow/Theories

Ooooo I like that idea. Makes it very interesting!

Which would mean that
Jon Snow is the one true king of the seven kingdoms?

Ooooo I like that idea. Makes it very interesting!

Which would mean that
Jon Snow is the one true king of the seven kingdoms?

Darn tootin, Rasputin.
This could go a long way to describing the title of the series (where Jon is Ice and Dany is fire).

Top Bottom