What's new

A small rant about home work.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I had always thought that was the case as well. But then when I mentioned this to someone (current college student) she told me than in some cases it was because soon after the new edition appears, all of the problems can be found, worked out in detail, on the web.

Well, there's always that.

The publishers were well on their way with this scheme way back when I went to college when "internet" was the space between two commercial fishing boats. Of course, students still passed notes the old-fashioned way.

That is amazing. My Hegel theme party was a bust.

If you click on my spoiler in the post immediately preceding this one, you will see that my Heigl Party was a bust too.

A good deal of life is showing up. Do what is asked, when it is asked. Try not to complain, but be cheerful about it. This will serve well in the work world when the easy days of school are long past.

I may be a fool, But I greatly Question the usefulness of collage now If you are not studying in a hard and applied field.
If I could live my life over again and knew what was on the road ahead of me I would have gotten into a trade, I don't know any unemployed plumbers or electricians.
Then you can use the money you make in your trade to take collage classes.

The other thing about trade school is the classes are more relevant to every day life.
Pay attention to day we will show you witch wires will kill you if you touch them or how a table saw can remove your hand if your not careful, sort of grab your attention.
I went the trade school route, and I'll never be unemployed, until the potentially career ending back injury makes it a reality. I'd rather have been a pharmacist and read a DIY book if I chose to dirty my hands. Different strokes though.

I had always thought that was the case as well. But then when I mentioned this to someone (current college student) she told me than in some cases it was because soon after the new edition appears, all of the problems can be found, worked out in detail, on the web. Don't know what to think except that I am sure the publishers want to destroy the used book market.

Fortunately, as an adult didact learner, I can always use the older editions if they are not too much older. Save about 90% on the cost.

With math and physics textbooks new additions have the same problems, sometimes they are in a different order in the chapter. Students can buy solution manuals for most lower division math and physics textbooks that show step by step solutions to all of the odd problems. Web sites like Chegg also have online forums where you can get help and they also give you access to solution manuals that have both even and odd problems worked out for a subscription fee.

The due date of the homework assignment was changed from the first day of class (Tuesday) to Thursday because the bookstore didn't order enough books for all of the students in the course and we need an access code to be able to complete the homework, the access code is part of the textbook bundle. The homework due date was changed again, it was due Friday before the end of the day. The school has a special rush order in with the publisher for more textbooks but they aren't sure when they will be printed and delivered to the school. This is not an auspicious start to the semester.

Doc4, I like your Hegel theme party!

This thread has confirmed in me the view that if all one is interested in is learning, then there is no reason to go to school. If you need the creds or a degree, well, then you have no choice because they have a monopoly on that..

For learning, per se, I have found the Great Courses lectures to be top notch. I get previous editions of textbooks for about 10 cents on the dollar in cost and I'm set. I don't use MOOCs because they set the schedule (forced pace learning, I call it)..

Top Bottom