What's new

A slow period for the hobby?

Anyone who reads or participates in more than one forum understands this. The good thing about B&B is that you can talk about almost everything. The other forums are shaving-centric and the participation is nowhere near to previous years'. Many of the older members have already stopped participating. It is certainly a slow period. I see BST threads where members are offering items at very low prices and they are still waiting to sell them. A few years ago, items like these would be gone within a day at worst.

I'm not sure if the community has slowed down but my interest in purely shaving related discussions has waned as I've gotten better with my technique as evidenced by consistent shaves with pretty much any implements I choose to use. I will say that judging by the listings on the auction sites, prices seem to have come down some and stuff that would normally sell quickly are not selling at all. That suggests demand is down. Speaking for myself, I may have purchased my last razor with the RR GC OC. I no longer spend much time on the auction sites looking for things since there really isn't anything I want. I have about 30+ razors and am now starting to think about which ones I might want to sell. I have 16 brushes, of which I use 9 regularly. No interest in any new brushes although there are a couple that still intrigue me. The only one I am trying to fight the urge on is one of Rudy Vey's faux ivory handled brushes. I just love the look of those. If I go for one I may ask him to make me one that has a similar shape to the faux jade handle of the Connaught Omega boar. The shape is really nice, clean and simple. I have a ton of soaps and creams that I would like to whittle down to only the ones that I really like both the performance and scent. But I intend to finish the stuff I'm not crazy about. Which means I have many a years supply of soaps and creams. And aftershaves are really the only thing I am still keeping an eye out for new ones. But it is far from an obsession.

As a member of 6 different forums I can say that some of them have much more to discuss than just shaving. Some are purely shaving centric but at least 2 or 3 others venture off into other topics. As I'm no longer looking for lots of advice on how to make my shaves better, I am now very happy to pass on what I've learned to some of the noobs I see joining, if they are at all interested in what I have to say. And if not, that's ok too. I've become very satisfied in focusing on my next shave, taking my time to enjoy the ritual and tweaking things ever so slightly to eke out some incremental improvements in my shaves. It's all good.

Now that I have been shaving as a hobby for about 8 years I too have found I can get a great shave almost every shave. The only time I don't sometimes is if I am trying a new product. The whole experience has lost some of the thrill which can be expected.
I have narrowed down what I use since I like to keep things simple. I use to like aggressive razors but lately I have been leaning toward mild razors. I have been PIFing a lot of my stuff. I'd like to get down to 2 or 3 razors and 2 or 3 soap pucks and sticks. Brushes are my weakness and I now have about 12. I would like to reduce that to about 6.
I still enjoy coming to this site but it is now harder to fine an interesting topic to read.

Agree with Mntnman62 and shave/brush. I find I can get a good shave with any number of DE/Blade/lather combinations and also with some Carts instead of DE's. I also have about 30 DE's and half a dozen carts. Unlike some of the others, I do enjoy switiching around, using equipment I haven't used in a while. I have a Rockwell Model T which I got in a swap, but that may be my last acquisition. Maybe if Rockwell came out with OC or Scalloped plates I would look at that. As for blades and carts I have enough to last to 3017. I have 3 synthetic brushes I will use until they wear out. I use TOBS creams and Aqua Velva AS and have enough for several years at least. So basically I am not looking and certainly don't need anything new for years. I visit the forums now as much out of habit and occasionally to add something I hope is helpful to a question or discussion.

I admit I have not read through this entire thread. Maybe it is just my You Tube viewing habits and whatever the You Tube algorithm is picking up on for me in order to make suggestions on what You Tube posts i might want to look at, but I have noticed what seems like a big up tick in posts on You Tube on wet shaving--how to do it, reviews of various products, etc.

I do not know when there was golden age for this stuff. I guess after straights and even DEs and shaving brushes had pretty much disappeared, but then interests developed in them in several quarters and they started to become available. I know that many of us test this principle, including me, but just how many razors of various types, brushes, strops, hones, etc. does anyone who is not a collector actually want to own?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Wetshaving isn't for everybody.

I suspect that most guys who were likely to be interested became interested at some point over the last 10-15 years. They went through the initial honeymoon phase of buying a lot of stuff, and asking a lot of questions on one or more wetshaving forum(s).

By now, they stopped buying lots of stuff, they stopped posting lots, but they still wetshave on a regular basis.

New guys still find wetshaving and one or more of the forums. But not as many as a decade before.

As I'm no longer looking for lots of advice on how to make my shaves better, I am now very happy to pass on what I've learned to some of the noobs I see joining, if they are at all interested in what I have to say. And if not, that's ok too. I've become very satisfied in focusing on my next shave, taking my time to enjoy the ritual and tweaking things ever so slightly to eke out some incremental improvements in my shaves. It's all good.

As one of the noobs, I really appreciate your advice. I'm sure there will always be ladies and gents who are new to wet shaving and need advice. [emoji4]

I don't plan on collecting lots of razors and brushes. However, I'm definitely interested in trying different soaps and aftershaves, mainly due to the variety of fragrances available. I'm sure I'll also try different blades too.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

As one of the noobs, I really appreciate your advice. I'm sure there will always be ladies and gents who are new to wet shaving and need advice. [emoji4]

I don't plan on collecting lots of razors and brushes. However, I'm definitely interested in trying different soaps and aftershaves, mainly due to the variety of fragrances available. I'm sure I'll also try different blades too.

I hear you. I'm very driven by scent. Not everyone is. But after a few years I learned that scent is second to performance. I've learned that slickness and cushion and post shave feel are most important. And then I add scent into the mix. We are lucky that there are so many good soaps and creams out there that if you love a scent but the performance isn't there, there is no reason for you to have to settle. There are lots of great performing soaps and creams that also have great scents. Once I realized this and became less focused on just the scent, I started to see an improvement in my shaves due to the better performance of my software.

I hear you. I'm very driven by scent. Not everyone is. But after a few years I learned that scent is second to performance. I've learned that slickness and cushion and post shave feel are most important. And then I add scent into the mix. We are lucky that there are so many good soaps and creams out there that if you love a scent but the performance isn't there, there is no reason for you to have to settle. There are lots of great performing soaps and creams that also have great scents. Once I realized this and became less focused on just the scent, I started to see an improvement in my shaves due to the better performance of my software.
That's great to hear. I'll definitely explore the various soap scents and look into different brands to find those that perform as well as they smell.

There are well over 1000 soaps and creams being sold. Unless your pocketbook is well stocked with coin and your cupboards have plenty of space, it pays to do your research. I have tried over 150 soaps and creams, most of which perform very well for me as I did my research before purchasing them. However, I have also spent money on soaps that were either given away, used in the shower, or tossed in the trash because the did not work for me. Some irritated my face, some just did not produce a great lather, and some did not possess a scent that I found pleasing.

Some people like purchasing samples of soaps, but I find samples can be harder to lather, so I prefer full tubs or pucks. Be sure to look for recommendations on the forums and watch soap review videos online. Be sure the reviews are coming from someone who has a similar beard type and skin type to your own. That way, their recommendations will be more likely to meet your needs.

I have a coarse beard, blue eyes and a ruddy complexion. Two reviewers that seem to have skin types and soaps preferences similar to mine are Jason Ruds of Ruds Shaves and Chris Madden of Another Cut Above. However, not everyone agrees with their recommendations. It all depends on your personal needs and preferences.

Reviews of soaps are certainly useful but you have to keep in mind that it is just one mans opinion. You have to try it yourself in the end. You can weed out some poor soaps by following the reviews. Keep an open mind.

I thought the golden era was 10-12 years ago lol. It's all perspective, man. Back in the day, you couldn't find anything locally, but you could find DEs at garage sales, antique stores, and online for unbelievably low prices. It was just being re-discovered. Gillette was still making some SWEEET double edge blades. There were no reformulations yet, Simpson brushes were still made by this one guy in England.. I want to say B&B was celebrating the first 500, or maybe first 1000 members.

It has gone completely main stream now. For example, I bought a DE at the store at work of all places... I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon. I could see it slowing down due to the beard trend, though.

It has gone completely main stream now. For example, I bought a DE at the store at work of all places... I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon. I could see it slowing down due to the beard trend, though.

I don't thing anyone is saying the hobby is slowing down, just this forum. If a person has been here for awhile there is not much new to talk about.

I don't thing anyone is saying the hobby is slowing down, just this forum. If a person has been here for awhile there is not much new to talk about.

That's for sure, it goes in cycles. As gents get good at shaving, they check out other forums then slowly stop posting, but a new batch of people come along.

On top of that, look at how many places there are to discuss shaving now and on top of that, forums about any topic have been dying a slow death for years now... People love video now more than anything

I jumped into this hobby full force back in February of this year and over the last two months am now focusing on actually using what I purchased. I probably have 35 plus soaps, about 15 razors, plus matching aftershaves. I burned myself out and now I'm enjoying the process of actually using it all.

This is my case. I got into wet shaving on a whim this summer after 30+ years as a Gillette disposable man. I figured there's just gotta be something better than that.

Four months later I now have a Feather DE razor, a Supply SE razor, two badger hair brushes (including a $200 Simpson Chubby :scared: ), three types of pre-shave oil/gel, four soaps/creams, and three aftershave balms. Although I'm interested in trying new products, dropping $40-60 on another good soap/creme/balm when I already have over two years' supply of consumables is tough to justify. It's to the point the point where I'm already listing stuff on the BTS section of B&B to offload some of my stuff because my bathroom is overflowing with shave supplies!

So now I've dropped close to a grand into this wet shaving endeavor, I'm really not into the market for anything. I've found some products I'm quite happy with (thank you Castle Forbes lime essential oil products - I get giddy just smelling you) that I don't feel it necessary to continue to try new stuff, especially when each "sample" is typically a full container that lasts 6 months.

Shaving, to me, is an "interest", not a hobby.

For me my activity has slowed down on the forum. At first I had a lot of questions and recieved a lot of good advice. Then I enjoyed discussions on different things. I am still shaving every day and going through my rotation. However I am more selective on what discussions I join. There are only so many Astra SP reviews I choose to read.

Interest topic, I am enjoying this one, thanks OP. I don't think it's a slow period. I think it's a bit of a transition period for the hobby, forums, and some of the more seasoned folks.

I think lots of newer folks are joining wetshaving. There are a lot of people signing up and a lot of the newer threads I see are started or aimed at newer wetshavers. I think that there are still lots just dipping their toe in or jumping in.

Also, I think that the supply has increased exponentially. I think I'm relatively new to it, about 4-5 years in. Since I've joined, the artisan soap and splash market has exploded, as have high quality razors, and heck brushes. There seems like a ton more choices now than when I started.

I think with the increase of products, and really good products has shifted the focus of the members. When I started, the focus was more on the hobby-side of wetshaving, i.e. finding vintage Gillettes, making limited products available work better. For example, there were forums on grating pucks into bowls, grating shave sticks, making super lathers and uber lathers; a bit more experimentation if you will. Now, the focus seems to be more on people that have made wetshaving into their primary hobby and willingness to spend money in line with hobbyists. These hobbyists own pounds of high end soaps, 10s of high end razors, and 10s of high end brushes.

That said, I think this is a good time to be a wetshaver with the amount of options and products available. I think that the last one to two years were a bit of "riding the wave" where supply was less than demand. I think that the supply/demand is equaling out a bit, mostly based on BST observations where good products and good are either available or not commanding the prices that they were. I think some of this is driven by the hobbyists who are now realizing that they have too many products to enjoy on a regular basis, $100-$500 razors that don't see use for months, expensive brushes out of rotation.

Looking forward, who knows! I think that there will be demand for certain items due to availability and the newer folks joining wetshaving. I think that the artisans that do it for fun and a side business will still be here, whether it's the ones we have today or not is yet to be seen.

In defense of this wonderful hobby, there are more popular ones out there that are nothing but sniffing/eating/drinking/smoking/hearing stuff. No skill and objective learning involved, so basically they are all about shopping consumables. The more products you try, the more 'knowledgeable' and 'trained' you become. In shaving (aka pogonotomy) more stuff actually quickly becomes counterproductive.

I also do believe this hobby is a lot less YMMV (subjective) than sniffing/eating/drinking/hearing/smoking, because every time you give those sense stimulation activities a blind test, they all end up being BS pyramid built on the shoulders of expectation bias, marketing and groupthink. I'm sure there's some of that in shaving, but far far less than other hobbies I've done.

With motoric activity like shaving, lathering, stropping, honing, restoring, late turning etc. there is lot more involvement than just passive reception of stimuli. This is why I think straight razors and DIY brushes are cool. Not because I'm sold on the pop culture idea of machoism. Yes, it's harder, just like rock climbing vs hiking. That's the point, challenging yourself.

In defense of this wonderful hobby, there are more popular ones out there that are nothing but sniffing/eating/drinking/smoking/hearing stuff. No skill and objective learning involved, so basically they are all about shopping consumables. The more products you try, the more 'knowledgeable' and 'trained' you become. In shaving (aka pogonotomy) more stuff actually quickly becomes counterproductive.

I also do believe this hobby is a lot less YMMV (subjective) than sniffing/eating/drinking/hearing/smoking, because every time you give those sense stimulation activities a blind test, they all end up being BS pyramid built on the shoulders of expectation bias, marketing and groupthink. I'm sure there's some of that in shaving, but far far less than other hobbies I've done.

With motoric activity like shaving, lathering, stropping, honing, restoring, late turning etc. there is lot more involvement than just passive reception of stimuli. This is why I think straight razors and DIY brushes are cool. Not because I'm sold on the pop culture idea of machoism. Yes, it's harder, just like rock climbing vs hiking. That's the point, challenging yourself.
Thank you for your comments abouthobbies that are only/mostly consumable, how 'expertise is acquired, etc. Never looked at things that way. Maybe my own lack of awareness? Different POV and a very interesting one for me to think about. Thanks again.

Top Bottom