What's new

A simple way to disassemble vintage Gillette TTO razors

I have a beaten up 2nd gen British Aristocrat as well as a few other Gillette TTO razors that need some restoration and maybe replating as well and I need someone who has done this before to share the easiest way possible to disassemble a TTO razor. Pictures of the tools and the whole process of doing the whole thing would help a lot.

Take a pronged screwdriver, file the head down, so it will fit the hole in the knob.
Or take a regular screwdriver and file in the prongs.
If dirty, clean out the recces of the bottom screw.
If the center bar has the little folded out wings on the bottom, fold these back to the center with pliers.
Screw out the bottom screw, iirc both US and British ones are reverse threaded.
Open the razor and twist the knob further, till the door assembly clears the baseplate.
If the doors get stuck, close the head and fold the small wings further into the center.
Assembly is the reverse, the small wings can snap, so it's not really worth folding the back, the screw will hold the head in place.
This works up till the 60ies in the US, and 50ies in the UK, after that it's a different story.

Take a pronged screwdriver, file the head down, so it will fit the hole in the knob.
Or take a regular screwdriver and file in the prongs.
If dirty, clean out the recces of the bottom screw.
If the center bar has the little folded out wings on the bottom, fold these back to the center with pliers.
Screw out the bottom screw, iirc both US and British ones are reverse threaded.
Open the razor and twist the knob further, till the door assembly clears the baseplate.
If the doors get stuck, close the head and fold the small wings further into the center.
Assembly is the reverse, the small wings can snap, so it's not really worth folding the back, the screw will hold the head in place.
This works up till the 60ies in the US, and 50ies in the UK, after that it's a different story.

This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you very much. When I have more free time next week i'm going to play with my TTO razors and I hope I don't destroy them instead of fixing them :D.

This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you very much. When I have more free time next week i'm going to play with my TTO razors and I hope I don't destroy them instead of fixing them :D.
If some of them are adjustables, I'd advice not to "play" with them. You might just end up with a razor you can't reassemble.

Top Bottom