What's new

A Short Review of My New Muhle STF V2 With Pics

My new Muhle STF V2 21mm knot arrived from Bullgoose yesterday. I gave it a test lather last night and was pleasantly surprised at the improvement the new fibres have made in this brush over the V1. Today's shave confirmed that. This new brush is much better than previous incarnations. Let's see some pics.

First: here's the brush dry. It looks like you'd expect. The knot looks fairly realistic to a badger knot at a casual glance. It's a handsome brush. The faux horn is stunning. The handle is top quality with a good heft and nice grip even with wet hands.

$P1020579.jpg

The brush is not as densely packed as many badger knots. I'd say this is closer to a Vulfix 2233 in terms of bristle density. But, because of the nature of the fibres, the brush retains good backbone. A natural badger brush packed like this would be quite floppy. This brush is not.

$P1020580.jpg

Here's the brush wet. As you can see, the fibres sort of clump together when wet. The water retention properties of this brush are just as good as a badger in my opinion. I really didn't adjust my technique at all in this regard for today's shave. I just swirled the brush in the water for a few seconds to get the knot wet, shook out the excess water, and began loading. My soap for today is Proraso Green.

$P1020581.jpg

Uh oh... this doesn't look too promising, does it? Well, not to worry. This brush requires such a small amount of product to produce a ton of lather that you don't need nearly as much product on the brush as you would with a real badger. This is about 10 seconds of loading on the soap. The brush does not want to splay naturally the same way a badger brush or even a boar would during loading. That's OK. This is a different animal so to speak. Just roll with it. Everything will be fine. As a side note, my badgers and boars have always produced a fairly large volume of proto-lather during loading. This brush does not do that. Quite frankly, it doesn't need to. Just look at the next pic.​

$P1020582.jpg

Within an astonishingly short amount of time face lathering, I had this:

$P1020583.jpg

I must say, I'm impressed with the new V2 fibres. The brush action face lathering is quite different from a natural badger brush. The knot wants to stay tight but with just a small amount of pressure it splays without trouble. The new V2 fibres are much less springy than the old V1 fibres. I found the V1 knot unusable as I could not get the knot to splay without pushing hard against my face which made face lathering a chore. This brush is much easier to work with. The tips are very soft, and the knot splays much more easily while still retaining good backbone.

There's another difference between the V1 and the V2 that I noticed. I think the V2 is better with flow through. The V1 seemed to want to dump lather. It just couldn't hold on to it. The V2 seems to be just right in this regard. It releases lather very easily but still holds onto it well enough that it's not falling out of the brush .

After just one shave I'm not regretting my purchase at all. I'm committed to using this brush for a good week straight to get really familiar with it. This brush isn't the luxurious experience shaving with my Savile Row is, but it is a very pleasant brush to use. As many others have opined, synthetics seem to have finally come of age. At the very least, this brush will make a fantastic addition to my DOPP kit which is why I bought it in the first place. It really does dry fast too. I shaved about an hour ago, and the brush is already almost totally dry. This brush performs so well, that I can see myself using this regularly along side my beloved Savile Row. I'll know more as I get more familiar with this brush. I'm already intrigued enough to want to try the 23mm knot.​

Last edited:
Thanks for this excellent review. I recently purchased a Muhle Stylo set with the Silvertip Fibre knot and at first it was a big adjustment from my TGN Grade A low loft but after using this for a straight week, I agree with your assessment. The brush provides tons of lather with very little effort (face or bowl) and requires little if any pressure to fan out properly and provide excellent coverage. Yes, it is not as luxurious of a feel as the high grade silvertip but nevertheless it's still an excellent brush. My plan is to purchase another Muhle with a silvertip and swap the knots because I cannot justify taking this Stylo set when traveling.

Thanks for the review! I was also pleasantly surprised, received mine today (25mm) and I really like it, never tried a synthetic before. It's a lot different from the 2 bands that I normally use. Makes lather very fast with very little product.

Foyle, I'm glad to see that you agree that Muhle made a step forward with the V2 brush fibers and am looking forward to following your review. It's nice to see the objective comments of experienced brush users.

I have been an advocate of Mühle STF and Black Fibre brushes since I first tried them two years ago. It's nice to see growing acceptance of synthetic brushes among experienced brush users. True, they may not replace Savile Row brushes in a collection, but what I find interesting is that they have demonstrated the ability to improve fairly dramatically over time. They have earned a legitimate role in today's shave den, IMO, and who knows what the future might bring?

Thanks for your review. I'll be following the continuation with interest.

Last edited:
So far I can see only one negative to this brush: if I keep using it regularly, I will never use up any of my soap. This brush is the opposite of the soap eater. It's the soap saver, and yet it's a lather beast.

Today's shave was with vintage Williams. I decided to go ahead and load more soap than I really needed, and that resulted in an unwieldy amount of lather. Also, I did a side by side test lather with my Savile Row on the same soap, and the Savile Row produced a noticably thicker, creamier lather. The STF made a thinner, foamier lather. I can't say this had a negative affect on shave quality, but I did notice the difference. I'll have to keep working with is brush to get a real sense of its capabilities.

Today's shave was with vintage Williams. I decided to go ahead and load more soap than I really needed, and that resulted in an unwieldy amount of lather. Also, I did a side by side test lather with my Savile Row on the same soap, and the Savile Row produced a noticably thicker, creamier lather. The STF made a thinner, foamier lather. I can't say this had a negative affect on shave quality, but I did notice the difference. I'll have to keep working with is brush to get a real sense of its capabilities.

That is due to the fact that synthetics cannot absorb water and product like naturals. Keep working on the water to product mix and whip up the lather a little longer and you will smooth some of those differences out.

That is due to the fact that synthetics cannot absorb water and product like naturals. Keep working on the water to product mix and whip up the lather a little longer and you will smooth some of those differences out.

Yes, I think the problem was actually too much product. I couldn't get enough water worked into it because I had lather flying all over the place. I think less soap in this case would have actually been better.

I've just a bit of an epiphany with this brush. I think it loads better and makes better lather if I squeeze the brush after soaking rather than shake it out. Shaking it seems to dump too much water out. Giving it a squeeze seems to leave just enough water in the brush to get a better loading for a richer lather. I tried it on a test lather and got some really dense lather much more like what I get with my badgers. I'll try it for real on tomorrow's shave.

I've also noted that it's best not to splay the knot too much during lathering. You want it to splay a little, but not completely splay out. This seems to allow the lather to mix inside the knot of the brush more like it will with a real badger brush.

Last edited:
I appreciate the review and updates, Foyle. I'm really interested in adding a Muhle synthetic to my stable, and reviews like this are wearing down my resistance!

Today I gave my brush a gentle squeeze before loading and I got a better lather. Here's the brush after loading. It's much more loaded than the first pic I have posted, and I loaded for the same amount of time.

$P1020587.jpg

Here's the brush after a little face lathering.

$P1020588.jpg

Foyle, I completely agree that a squeeze prior to loading is very important. Also, it is helpful to start the lather application slowly to distribute the lather in the fibers prior to fully splaying it. START SLOW is as important to using synths as NO PRESSURE is to DE shaving.

Im glad that you are enjoying your new brush! V2 muhle is on my short list. It doesn't appear that the brush is very dense although as noted it apparently doesn't need to be. What improvements would you suggest for V3?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts :001_smile

No, it's not as dense as lots of badger brushes. It really can't be. I think the diameter of the fibres prevents this since they are thicker than natural hair. Even still, the brush retains nice backbone. I'm not sure what I would suggest for improvements. More density would probably be detrimental with the current fibres. It would probably have too much backbone.

It will be interesting to see what happens if they come up with a new fibre.

I want that exact brushhhhhhhhhh. If you did it over again, would have you picked the 23mm over the 21mm, or no? I've got a 24mm omega boar and i want something smaller with a more bulb shape rather than the fan shape, wondering if a 23mm would do the trick of if i should go down to a 21mm.

Top Bottom