What's new

A shave at the barbershop

I think sometime this week I'm going to pull the trigger and throw in a barbershop shave with my haircut.

How many have experienced a barbershop shave? So far I'm the only one who's ever put a blade to my throat.:cornut:

I had a hot towel shave at Truefitt & Hill in London a couple of years ago...a wonderfully relaxing experience! I take a group of my students to London and Scotland every summer. I'll be back again in a few months, and plan to have a shave at another establishment. It is a bit of an extravagance, but I consider it part of my non-student free time "vacation."

Shop around, and do your homework.

I just don't think barbers today perform shaves that often. I've been on this site quite a few years and the disaster stories about barbershop shaves stand out more than the successful trips. There might be barbers out there that can, and if you can find them, great. Otherwise.....

Nobody goes near my face with a razor except me. Nobody. Good luck in your quest.

Don

I've had a couple and it was a relaxing experience. He did nick my neck but it took me a few times before I didn't do that myself. Other than that I really enjoyed it. I would just say find someone who does shaves a lot.

I think sometime this week I'm going to pull the trigger and throw in a barbershop shave with my haircut.

How many have experienced a barbershop shave? So far I'm the only one who's ever put a blade to my throat.:cornut:
If you ever visit Torino you should visit the barber of Paola Barasso. He’s made a view YouTube videos of him giving straight razor Shaves. You should check them out. He’s old school Italian barber. He really knows what he’s doing and has impeccable technique. You might not understand the Italian but if you’re a straight razor fan you’ll enjoy it. And he uses a real straight blade not a shavette.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef

I just don't think barbers today perform shaves that often. I've been on this site quite a few years and the disaster stories about barbershop shaves stand out more than the successful trips.

And I cut out a decent chunk of Black Adder's response. That being said if you do your homework and find someone that can give you a good shave go for it. BBS smooth ++ and relaxing. Hot towels, warm lather, the man's answer to your wife's mani pedi or whatever. Seek and Ye shall find.

I’ve done it a few times in the Near/Middle East, Italy and Portugal, where getting a shave is still a common event, and found it an interesting experience that gave me a few inspirations for my shaves at home.

I have however always avoided the flashy, overpriced barbershops that that try to impress customers with an overly elaborate spectacle of a shave and prefer old-fashioned, if not outright humble looking barbershops with professional barbers (many in their late 50’s) who have been plying their trade for years and know what they are doing.

B.

Last edited:
My first Barber shave was at an AoS shop. Since their stock in trade is shaving, I figured I could trust them. I wasn't disappointed. Like the rest of their stuff it was a bit pricey, but no blood, a great shave, and some real pampering. (Even a post-shave clay mask!)

My biggest concern would be sanitation, and blood borne disease transfer.
In many countries, it is now impossible to use straight razors for shaving in barbershops - this is prohibited. Therefore, barbers use shavette razors. Therefore, I believe that it is safe enough.

As several have already said, research before you go. Living in the metro Milwaukee area, there are several shops here to choose from with great reputations when it comes to shaves. I find it relaxing to get a barbers shave, and treat myself now and then, and will often seek one out when on vacation.

As far as the sanitary aspect, chances are the barber will use a shave tote with a new blade for each customer.

The only time I’ve actually been disappointed with a barber shop shave was in New Orleans. Arrived at the shop, that was actually recommended for their shaves, and sat in the chair only to find that they used cartridge razors. Lol

As several have already said, research before you go. Living in the metro Milwaukee area, there are several shops here to choose from with great reputations when it comes to shaves. I find it relaxing to get a barbers shave, and treat myself now and then, and will often seek one out when on vacation.

As far as the sanitary aspect, chances are the barber will use a shave tote with a new blade for each customer.

The only time I’ve actually been disappointed with a barber shop shave was in New Orleans. Arrived at the shop, that was actually recommended for their shaves, and sat in the chair only to find that they used cartridge razors. Lol
Did you enquire why they didn’t even use a shavette?

I just don't think barbers today perform shaves that often. I've been on this site quite a few years and the disaster stories about barbershop shaves stand out more than the successful trips. There might be barbers out there that can, and if you can find them, great. Otherwise.....

Nobody goes near my face with a razor except me. Nobody. Good luck in your quest.

Don

+1! Yes indeed!!

I do better than most barbers around here. The London establishments are a different story!

I wrote about my first barbershop experience a few months back. Suffice to say it was very enjoyable and the barber used a proper straight, but i could’ve given myself a better shave with 1 pass from a cart. It just wasn’t very close. He did mention that he wanted me to have a good experience since it was my first time getting a shave, but i would’ve rather gone home with a little razor burn and a proper close shave. Would i do it again? Yes. But next time i’d tell him to get it as close as possible.

Years ago I got these type shaves in Italy and they were grand. My recent experiences have been less than stellar and I've decided to forego further attempts. Just not worth it to me

Wow! That would disappoint me as well.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

I’ll never do it again.

Several months ago I had a haircut and shave at a small independent shop in Southern California. A couple of the barbers had been in the business for +/- 20 years and had grown their trade and skills from local military bases. Haircut for me is a simple all over buzz cut, #1s. It was fine. The shave began with hot lather from a machine. The upper part of my face was shaved with a shavette with a new blade; my neck was shaved with a new triple blade cartridge (you know the brand!). The shave was unspectacular and not close. I won't have a shop shave again. I'm sure that hygiene regulations in this part of the country (!) mandate the type of equipment that was used, but even my neck was not shaved clean. I could feel its roughness all day and couldn't wait till I could remedy the situation at home. No more shop shaves for me. YMMV. :)

First, Welcome to B&B, Sir Leo501!

Good luck on your barber shave! Odds are, you'll enjoy it!

Most likely, barber will use a shavette with a split DE blade. Should be fresh blade, BTW.
Also likely hot towel prep.
Lather might be simply canned foam; you'll be lucky if there is a hot lather machine.
Let us know how it goes!

@Leo501.

Let me try this again. :blush:

I re-read my earlier reply, and it really sounded like I'm Debbie Downer on something you expressed an interest in trying, and, if I remember how I felt when I had my barbershop shave, I was genuinely looking forward to it at that time too. Sorry, I was being too honest, but I hope you have a positive experience and enjoy your experience. This is a great hobby/passion, and there are many ways to enjoy our shaves. Good luck with your barbershop shave!! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Top Bottom