What's new

A seven shave blade.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I can get 7 shaves from almost any blade, Derby Extra included. The only blade I like that hasnt gone that far is Feather. I've gotten 5 shaves from a single Feather.

A single Polsilver went 20 and had more left in it when I tossed it to test a Gillette Yellow. That yellow went 9 but started to tug at 7.

A single Perma-Sharp Super went, I think, 24 shaves and wasnt finished yet.

It’s funny, because outside of the “Excalibur” thread, it seems blades are tossed relatively early.

My seven day goal isn’t for any reason other than I think it would be cool to get a week out of a blade. It makes the math easier (and fun).
That is a subject that I have been giving some thought to. It occurred to me that the 6-7-8 shave zone is a no-man's land! Reading different forums and reviews, it seems that either they are binned at 5-shaves (or less), or people do the “Excalibur” thing.

The 7-day blade is also something that I was looking for, out of my convenience. Though it doesn't necessarily have a connection to the real DE shaving world, as it exists...

I will add, that I never thought that it would be this elusive?
I always aim for 7 shaves on all my DE blades. I start on Monday and normally toss the blade after Sunday’s Shave. Most blades last the 7 shaves but some are really done after 4 but I push them to the seventh.
Really, that makes the most sense to me because I prefer to shave daily, I no longer have a beard and I am retired.

OK, I understand that some people have wire like facial hair that is difficult to shave. But, that leaves 2/3 of the remaining shavers within the "normal/average" range.

I really can't imagine manufacturing a DE razor blade that wouldn't work for an average shaver for 3-4 shaves per edge?

Binning a DE blade after 4-shaves is only two shaves per-edge. It doesn't even seem feasible that any normal manufacture would make a product that has this poor level of performance?

The past few months, I have been rotating blades through to eight shaves, figuring 7+1, with encouraging results (mostly).

Shaving daily is entirely different than shaving every other day or so. It is far easier on the blade because there is less to mow. And, because the facial hair growth is so minimal with daily shaving, that the blade is cutting through a hair that is standing straight up, rather than on the diagonal.

Getting ready for the weekly DE blade challenge, starting after the beginning of the year. After a few months, I will hope to have a more definitive analysis!

Which blades will pass through with flying colors and which will take the "walk of shame"? We will see!

That is a subject that I have been giving some thought to. It occurred to me that the 6-7-8 shave zone is a no-man's land! Reading different forums and reviews, it seems that either they are binned at 5-shaves (or less), or people do the “Excalibur” thing.

The 7-day blade is also something that I was looking for, out of my convenience. Though it doesn't necessarily have a connection to the real DE shaving world, as it exists...

I will add, that I never thought that it would be this elusive?

Really, that makes the most sense to me because I prefer to shave daily, I no longer have a beard and I am retired.

OK, I understand that some people have wire like facial hair that is difficult to shave. But, that leaves 2/3 of the remaining shavers within the "normal/average" range.

I really can't imagine manufacturing a DE razor blade that wouldn't work for an average shaver for 3-4 shaves per edge?

Binning a DE blade after 4-shaves is only two shaves per-edge. It doesn't even seem feasible that any normal manufacture would make a product that has this poor level of performance?

The past few months, I have been rotating blades through to eight shaves, figuring 7+1, with encouraging results (mostly).

Shaving daily is entirely different than shaving every other day or so. It is far easier on the blade because there is less to mow. And, because the facial hair growth is so minimal with daily shaving, that the blade is cutting through a hair that is standing straight up, rather than on the diagonal.

Getting ready for the weekly DE blade challenge, starting after the beginning of the year. After a few months, I will hope to have a more definitive analysis!

Which blades will pass through with flying colors and which will take the "walk of shame"? We will see!

Apparently I'm in that "No Man's Land". I bin a blade when I feel its performance slip, or when I get bored with it, or when I get a bunch of new blades I'm just itching to try. So I rarely bin a blade before 8-10 shaves. On unfamiliar blades, I like to let it run until I have an idea of its longevity. So far, no blade has gone past 50 shaves. That's far short of the Excalibur group's 100+ shaves per blade.

I have zero desire to try to make a single tuck last a lifetime. I also don't feel an need to bin my blades based on a calendar, just when I feel the need.
It's a rare blade that I don't get

It occurred to me that the 6-7-8 shave zone is a no-man's land!
The 7-day blade is also something that I was looking for, out of my convenience.

I have no idea where this notion of ‘no-man’s land’ in this 2019 thread comes from, because that ‘no-man’s land’ seems to be a densely populated region to me.

For a long time I had settled on three different blades, but am currently rotating between four more blades, trying to decide whether to update my preferred choice of blades.

All these blades are good for seven (what I consider) BBS shaves and I change them after seven days solely out of the convenience of replacing a blade on the same day every week.

B.

I have no idea where this notion of ‘no-man’s land’ in this 2019 thread comes from, because that ‘no-man’s land’ seems to be a densely populated region to me.

For a long time I had settled on three different blades, but am currently rotating between four more blades, trying to decide whether to update my preferred choice of blades.

All these blades are good for seven (what I consider) BBS shaves and I change them after seven days solely out of the convenience of replacing a blade on the same day every week.

B.

If you re-read posts 42 & 43 of this thread, you'll see that you're attributing @ShavingPrimate's words to me. I've never seen a real "No Man's Land" as such. I do see the Excalibur group going for high numbers and also some members here who automatically bin their blades after "X" number of shaves so they never see a bad shave, but I agree with you that most of us play it by ear, getting a wide range of shaves, depending on the blade, the razor, the lather, and most importantly the beard.

If you re-read posts 42 & 43 of this thread, you'll see that you're attributing @ShavingPrimate's words to me. I've never seen a real "No Man's Land" as such. I do see the Excalibur group going for high numbers and also some members here who automatically bin their blades after "X" number of shaves so they never see a bad shave, but I agree with you that most of us play it by ear, getting a wide range of shaves, depending on the blade, the razor, the lather, and most importantly the beard.

Noted.

Not sure how that happened, as we are in agreement.

B.

Just saying, not referencing any particular member or blade.

But I believe that within the general DE shaving population, only a small percentage run their blades for ten or more days.

When speaking of modern production DE blades, the impression I get is that the majority of DE shavers bin their blades after shaves one through six.

Thus, I consider shaves 7-9 to be a "No Man's Land", generally speaking. These are only my observations and may not apply to you.

However... if you typically bin your blades before the 7th shave or continue shaving after shave #9, then it may it may apply to you?

If you religiously change out your blade once and only once a week, you would be an inhabitant of the "No Man's Land".

The OP appears to have an observation similar to mine.

It’s funny, because outside of the “Excalibur” thread, it seems blades are tossed relatively early.
Some here have noted more extended blade use, which in itself, does not appear to be the object of this particular thread.

This is neither good nor bad, just a thought about being able to use different blades and change them on a once a week schedule.

It has been further noted:

Most blades last the 7 shaves but some are really done after 4 but I push them to the seventh.
That perhaps the average DE blade is not blessed with longetevity in mind.

After playing around with some different options, my intentions are to adopt a 7-day and only 7-day schedule, starting the 1st of the year.

If a blade clearly is not up to the task, it will be duly noted as such.

Interesting read that popped up in my time line. If I get less than 7 shaves out of my blade I consider that blade to be less for me. I do some Excaliburlesque with some blades, but 7-10 seems to be my usual range.

Cheers,

Guido

For many years, it's been three to five shaves for me per blade in a DE razor. I shave daily, 3+ passes and clean-up/buffing. I figure if I'm out 3-9 cents per shave, I can live with it... :001_rolle I think my high side annual cost for the most expensive blades I might use (if I used only that blade year round) might be around $30ish.

I find these threads more than amusing.

I usually toss them after 4-5 shaves, but I'm sure that I have no problem to stretch any of the different blades I have to beyond 7.

I'm pretty sure that most of the top tier blade will have no problem to achieve 7 days.
I'm the same way. I'm an every other day shaver so I'll use one about 4 times and then bin it, averaging about a blade a week.

For many years, it's been three to five shaves for me per blade in a DE razor. I shave daily, 3+ passes and clean-up/buffing. I figure if I'm out 3-9 cents per shave, I can live with it... :001_rolle I think my high side annual cost for the most expensive blades I might use (if I used only that blade year round) might be around $30ish.

I find these threads more than amusing.

If an "average" blade runs $10 for a pack of 100-blades, then each blade would be ten cents each.

If an individual binned his blade after each shave and shaved on a daily basis, the total cost would be under $3 per-month.

So, if an individual shaver decided to go this route, it would only be like purchasing one $3 soda at a restaurant (or a rather basic cup of Jo at Starbucks).

Though I doubt that I would opt for $1 blades and binning them after each shave. I (and most) shavers would likely spend $20-$30 dollars for blades, if that was what was required for a quality shave.

Curiously, I am finding that the price of the blade itself, does not necessarily become the deciding factor in the overall cost of the shave or the longetevity of the blade.

I just had a perfectly good shave today from an Gillette Indian blade that cost 7-cents. This was shave #6.

I do find that moving to the R41 head did result in a smooth but closer shave with any of my blades, than the 34c or the R89.

When discussing a ‘seven shave blade’, I believe it would be a mistake to spend too much time debating the economics. Once a user has made the initial investment and found a razor and brush that he likes, the cost of a shave becomes secondary.
Even more expensive razor blades like Feathers costs only a few pennies apiece and one would have to be in truly dire straits not to be able to afford them. So that safety razor blades don’t bankrupt anyone is a foregone conclusion, is it not?

So at best, the costs of a razor blade is an argument that we are all well aware of; at worst, it leads people who sadly don’t know any better to discard blades after only one shave (‘They are so cheap, so why not??’) not knowing that blades on their first shave have not reached their best performance yet. I have come across this foolish argument more than once on shaving fora.

When I think about a ‘seven shave blade’, the longevity of a blade is instead in the forefront of my thoughts.
Here, I do find more noticeable differences between various blades, although all blades that are currently in my rotation last me comfortably at least seven shaves.

B.

Last edited:
I use Wilkinson Sword from Germany
blades, and regularly get 7-10 shaves before quality of the shave takes a downturn. I've gotten to 5-6, and had to change out the blade, as it would start pulling. I shave everyday, unless I am doing nothing that day. I have pushed a couple of blades past the 12 mark, but by then, the blade is leaving more than it should be. I am a firm believer that beard prep is still key to a close shave, along with a good blade. Wilkinson Sword, and my Parker 91R gives me that, with no irritation.

I am a firm believer that beard prep is still key to a close shave, along with a good blade.
I agree. While it ultimately comes down to the razor and blade a the choice of blades, it must start with proper preparation.

Which in turn, leads to many more quality shaves.

I aim for 7 shaves a blade. There are some blades that give out after 4-6 shaves but I have found some blades that can go 10+ shaves for me:

Astra SP
Personna Med Prep/Labs
Dorco ST series
Gillette Platinum Plus Brazil

Top Bottom