What's new

A seven shave blade.

Greetings folks.

As the title states, I’m looking for a blade I can get seven consecutive shaves out of.

It’s funny, because outside of the “Excalibur” thread, it seems blades are tossed relatively early.

My seven day goal isn’t for any reason other than I think it would be cool to get a week out of a blade. It makes the math easier (and fun).

Any thoughts?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Try Schick or Gem blades and you more than likely get more than 7 shaves depending on beard type(Gem SS PTFE blades the most cost effective per shave for SE). Blades are the cheapest part of DE or SE wet shaving so don't worry about high # of shaves imo. There were blades made by Personna (Personna 74) that were made from tungsten carbide steel and Gillette had the "spoiler blade" that almost put Gillette and Personna out of business because they lasted to long.
Have some great shaves!

Gillette Yellows and Astras gave me at least 10 great shaves even more when I tried.
Personna Labs and Med Preps are capable of that too. Many blades to try out there and YMMV.

It's all a matter of individual taste and razor. I get a minimum of 7 shaves from Personna Labs and Medical Preps in most razors. In my Feather AS-D2 I get 6+ shaves with a Feather blade.

I get 12+ smooth, close shaves from Astra SPs, and seven from Med Preps and Feathers. Merkur slant razor, medium beard, 2P + touchup BBS shaves.

I get at least 7 shaves from the Polsilver Super Iridium and the Gillette Platinum Plus from Brazil and I only shave 2 to 3 times a week so I always have a few days growth.

Although I don’t go for BBS and usually only do a 2 pass shave, I also dry the blades after every shave and take them out of the razor.

I’m currently using around at least 5 different blades right now with at least one shave to 6 .

I pair them depending on the razor I’m using and the thickness of my beard.
I also like using different blades which is why I have so many currently on rotation.

I need to start binning some of the blades, sometimes after 2 uses and some after 6 shaves.

I find most of the vintage blades last the longest like Schick Plus Platinum, Gillette Platinum Plus, Spoilers, Personna 74.

Most of ones from the Moscow plant like Rapira Swedish Super Steel, Platinum Lux I usually bin after 2 shaves.

It's really a subjective thing, so you are probably best to purchase a sampler and work through them to see what works best for you.

But here's a list of blades that I have heard direct reports from of people taking them to 100. So maybe include these in your list of blades to definitely try.

* feather
* Astra
* Bolzano
* Gillette 7 o'clock black
* Gillette silver blue
* Polsilver
* Nacet

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
If you can't get 7 shaves from a GSB you are either 50% Italian, 50% Sasquatch, or you don't know how to shave.
I am on shave 42 or 43 or 44 with one right now. (I'm too lazy to go look!)

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I always aim for 7 shaves on all my DE blades. I start on Monday and normally toss the blade after Sunday’s Shave. Most blades last the 7 shaves but some are really done after 4 but I push them to the seventh.

I usually toss them after 4-5 shaves, but I'm sure that I have no problem to stretch any of the different blades I have to beyond 7.

I'm pretty sure that most of the top tier blade will have no problem to achieve 7 days.

Rare is the blade I can't get to seven shaves. I try to shoot for double-digits (10) as the minimum...but some have to be pushed. Use top-tier blades and you should be fine.

If you aren't in the habit of extending blade life, focus on preparation and technique. A solid pre-shave routine, good lather, and attention to the shave itself (angle, pressure) all go a long way into getting the most out of a blade. So does the razor you use.

Rare is the blade I can't get to seven shaves. I try to shoot for double-digits (10) as the minimum.
This.

Very few that haven’t achieved this goal for me, no special care required other than normal post-shave rinse clean and alcohol dip of still assembled razor.

I typically get 7+ shaves from my top-tier blades (in no particular order):
GSB
Nacet
Astra SP
Personna red
Personna lab
Obviously YMMV.

Feathers definitely.
GSB maybe.

Feather Pro, Super Pro for an AC type razor - double digits
GEM PTFE SS for an SE - 7 to 10

(note: Feather FHS in a Valet - one or two and done)

I feel like everyone missed the most obvious one.

Image result for treet 7 days

See? It's right in the name. :001_smile

I find most of the vintage blades last the longest like Schick Plus Platinum, Gillette Platinum Plus, Spoilers, Personna 74.

Agreed. It's actually more surprising when one of the vintage stainless blades don't make it that far.

If you can't get 7 shaves from a GSB you are either 50% Italian, 50% Sasquatch, or you don't know how to shave.

I must be one or the other because the tugging generally begins during shave 3 for me no matter the blade. That said, I have steel wool for stubble.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I must be one or the other because the tugging generally begins during shave 3 for me no matter the blade. That said, I have steel wool for stubble.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yep, Sasquatch. Just as I thought. Are you related to my wife?

Top Bottom